Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cannot get NBN connection via router, only direct ethernet connect PC to NBN modem

Hi. Suddenly 2 nights ago I lost my NBN connection with my Netgear r8500 router. Tried all of the usual toubleshooting plus spent an hour with Bigpond support with no errors found on their end. Established I could connect to the NBN by connecting my desktop via ethernet cable directly to the Uni-D1 port of the nbn modem.

Thinking its a faulty router, bought a new one today and same issue. It can't connect to the internet either.

I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful suggestions before I ring Bigpond support again who will likely do same line checks/modem checks, ask me to  swap between routers, reset them etc.

Basically its the exact same issue as here:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/NBN-Connection-not-working-but-will-when-direc...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Cannot get NBN connection via router, only direct ethernet connect PC to NBN modem

You'll need to set the wan connection to be on the Wan ethernet port on your router and set it not to require authentication.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Cannot get NBN connection via router, only direct ethernet connect PC to NBN modem

Is the netgear set up for internet connection without login page 25 of manual and to get internet IP address Dynamically from ISP? Also set IPv6 to auto detect page 31 of manual

Highlighted

Yes and so is the new router I bought (Asus model).
Highlighted

Yes done and done. I had a stable connection til a sudden drop out 2 nights ago and two routers including a new Asus one I bought today correctly setup also does not work.
Highlighted

Not going to be a Telstra issue if your connection works when a computer/device is connected to the NTD. Issue is going to be with your router, of which BigPond Tech support for 3rd party routers is limited. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

When router is plugged into UnI-D1 port is UNI-D1 status light green or orange?

When PC is plugged into UnI-D1 port is UNI-D1 status light green or orange?

Does the router indicate that it is connected and does the WAN port have a valid IP address?

Highlighted

Uni-D1is orange with both connections and is constant, no flashing. It should flash continuously when there is connectivity and data transfer. Optical flashes green. Optical should be constant green when stable connection.
Highlighted

The optical light flashes during data transfer but the UNI-D1 light should also flash. Are you sure you had internet access on the PC when connect directly to NCD, as it looks like there might be a fault with the NBN link or NCD?

Highlighted

Yes, was able to play online games on desktop for couple hours.

However to update the desktop no longer reliably connects either. Have escalated and have NBN visit booked.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Let us know how the tech visit does go with the NBN team. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit