Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cannot Wireless connect HP Printer to Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem

Answered

I cannot connect a friends HP Series B110 printer via wireless to their newly installed NBN connection using their Telstra GEN 2 smart modem. The message on the printer says incorrect paraphrase. I have looked at a similar CrowdSupport post for connecting a printer via wireless to the GEN 2 router and disabled band steering for 2.4GHz. It still didn't connect to the router. I have taken the printer to my house to tried and connect it to my GEN 2 Smart Router and it's the same problem. I checked that the 2.4GHz wireless signal works by turning off the 5GHz wireless signal. I tried connection the GEN 2 router and printer via WPS pairing, this didn't work either

Any suggestions as to the cause of the connection problem?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot Wireless connect HP Printer to Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem

Have you tried setting the Wi-Fi connection up manually?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02262829

Does the printer see the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi?

Any help on the issue here: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-wireless-e-all-in-one-printer-series-b110/4022328...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I have a Technicolour modem. I changed the Protected Management Frame to disabled, I can now connect the printer to the wifi, it worked. Thanks very much for your support and help. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried setting the Wi-Fi connection up manually?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02262829

Does the printer see the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi?

Any help on the issue here: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-wireless-e-all-in-one-printer-series-b110/4022328...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

The problem cold be due to new enhanced WiFi security protocol that was added to the modem in a firmware update called Protected Management Frames (WiFi PMF). Try turning of WiFi PMF in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. If that doesn't work try changing WiFi security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA +WPA2 PSK.

Highlighted

I have connected the HP printer to another network I operate that functions as my wireless Apple Time Machine backups and uses an Apple Airport Extreme Router. The Airport Extreme router is connected the the Telstra Modem via a cable and runs under a different SSID. I was able to connect to this Apple wireless network first time without performing any changes to the Apple router and perform an AirPrint to the HP printer from an iPad. I have already tried the change of WiFi security modem on the Telstra Router from WPA2 PSK to WPA + WPA PSK, the printer still did not connect to the Telstra Router. Unfortunately my friend does not have the luxury of having an Apple Router network to connect to. Would this problem occur with other printers? Is there an inherent incompatibility with the HP printer and Telstra GEN 2 router? Has anyone actually connected a wireless printer to the Telstra GEN 2 router without performing these highly technical router changes? I'm in the position of knowing how to make changes to a Router, whereas 98% of Telstra Modem users would have no idea on how to login into a Telstra GEN 2 Router let alone make a change to the wireless router settings. Also, where is the user handbook for the Telstra Router? It's a sad situation that Telstra can provide a router without a user handbook .

Highlighted

The difference is that the Apple Extreme is connected with a cable - so the SM2 Wi-Fi issue therefore doesn't affect it.

Getting into the SM2 User interface isn't very difficult, and in particular turning off the PMF settings doesn't take very long.

The PMF issue was a complication with a recent firmware update, that some older hardware doesn't like - but there may be updated drivers available for those bits of equipment.

cf4 has produced an unofficial manual for both versions of the Smart Modem..

Technicolour - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-RqguwOPm8f8gkbX0TsJrt8hqcAXb9E9/view

and 

Arcadyan - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVq7jGm44RtQIbfGwSVvyj98i27qj1s9/view

Stevo 52
Highlighted

You keep mentioning the SM2 interface and PMF settings. I can't see these settings after looking in the Modem settings. What are these settings under?

Highlighted

If you have the Arcadyan modem go to WiFi settings look for WiFi PMF turn it off and save settings.

If you have ghe Technicolor modem go to Advanced WiFi settings scroll down and look for Protected Management frames, set to disable and save settings.

See the third to last section in the documents @SteveW_52 provided in his post.

PMF is an new WiFi security enhancement that helps prevent man in the middle acts and is requirement on all new WiFi devices. It is not a fault with the modem. I agree with you that Telstra should provide a manual so that people do have older equipment. People would then  have the option of knowing how to turning PMF off.

Highlighted

The SM2 User Interface is the one that you open using 192.168.0.1  then for access to settings you log in with admin/Telstra as the Username/Password (these are the defaults as noted on the label on the bottom of the device).

Once you have logged in you can click on Advanced, then check on the WIFI tab for the settings. If you make changes (you will need to do it for both bands) make sure you save the settings on each.

Before you log out, also look on the Wi-Fi page and disable the Band Steering setting. This will give you two seperate bands - one on 2.4 GHz the other on 5 GHZ (this one will have -5G appended to the Wi-Fi name [SSID] ) so you can then determine which band a device connects to.

Save the settings and log out. You should see the changes straight away, but in some cases I have found it necessary to power cycle the Smart Modem 2 before it takes effect.

Stevo 52
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I have a Technicolour modem. I changed the Protected Management Frame to disabled, I can now connect the printer to the wifi, it worked. Thanks very much for your support and help. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit