Level 1: Cadet

Change new telstra smart modem

as we've been using our current Telstra smart modem for 3 years, it recently drops out very often. we checked online about this issue, the answer is usually modem can work smoothly for 2-3 years, then it becomes abnormal. How can we change a new Telstra smart modem? or can we just change a new modem from other brands?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Change new telstra smart modem

You can buy a new modem from Telstra or purchase a second hand one. You could also use a non Telstra modem if you don't need a phone service. If you buy a Telstra modem it will automatically configure for all except some ADSL services.

It is unlikely to be the modem causing the issue. I would make sure you don't have a line fault before buying a new modem It is more likely to be a line fault than a faulty modem especially if you have a DSL connection (ADSL, FTTN or FTTB).

As we have been using Telstra NBN service, it was pretty good though. But just recently after I've changed a Wi-Fi 6 network adapter, things change to awful. Firstly, the new adapter can't continuously connect our Wifi since the smart modem can't separately broadcast 2.4G and 5G, so I enabled our guest-5G. BTW, do you know how to separate the broadcast for this modem?

after that, my roomies told me they feel like the internet drops out sometimes. and we googled this issue, it says usually the lifetime for a modem is 2-3 years. I just don't know how can we figure out it's broken or not.

Level 21: Augmented

Get into the Smart modem interface using 192.168.0.1 in a browser, the username is admin and the password is Telstra (defaults as per the label on the bottom.

Once there, go to Advanced, Wi Fi and:

(i) Turn off band steering - this will seperate the bands and the 5G one will now have - 5G at the end..  save the setting

(ii) on each Wi-Fi band, turn off Protected Mode Frames (PMF) and save the setting each time..

Try your Wi-Fi devices again - they should see both bands and connect properly.  Make sure to save those settings and then log out.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

You can separate the WiFi bands by disabling band steering in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This will add -5G to the name of the 5 GHz WiFi and you will be able to change the name of on band without it effecting the other band. This might fix your WiFi problems.

The problem might also be due to a new enhanced WiFi security feature added in a recent firm ware update called Protected Management Frames (Wi-Fi PMF). Not all devices support PMF and it can cause issues if there are devices on network that don't support PMF. If separating the two WiFi bands doesn't fix problems suggest you disable PMF in modem's advanced WiFi settings.

The WiFi six adapter should be backward compatible with the modem and should not cause any issues. If it does you will need to purchase a non Telstra Modem or router as all the Telstra modems are WiFi 5 devices.

Cheers mate! I'll try it after I finish work. :-)

Thanks for your help @cf4 @SteveW_52 , I'll try it when I get back home.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit