Ausboy74
Level 1: Cadet

Change of primary Bigpond email address

Hi,

I'm in the difficult position of needing to try and change my Bigpond primary user name.  The account was set up in my name, however my partner chose the username, and hence the primary email address.

He has passed away, and as a result I need to amend my account details.  I thought it would be easy, but aparently it can't be changed unless the whole account is closed and a new one created.  I find this a little odd, but regardless I think I'm going to have to consider it.  

Whilst 'googling' for a solution, I found a post on forums.whirlpool.net.au http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1708332 where a 'Martin@Telstra' had commented that an upcoming system change may allow this.  That was posted on May 30 2011!  From speaking to Telstra (well mainly their off-shore billing & technichal support staff, who I must say are not very helpful in any way) they keep saying it can only be done with the account being closed.  

They then tell me I'll be without a service for 7-10 business days, because the process is when I close the account I'll have to mail back the modem, only to have the exact same modem mailed back to me when the new account is opened.  When I questioned this, all they kept saying was "This is th process."

Help anyone???

Scott

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Change of primary Bigpond email address

Hi Scott and welcome to Crowd Support.

Generally speaking when someone has passed away the account needs to be closed anyway, or a change of ownership has to be performed (which closes the old account).

Is there a reason the primary username has to change? If you need a new email address, this can be done without changing the primary username.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Ausboy74

It's a personal reason...  As I mentioned in my original post, it is my account, in my name only.  However the user name was selected by my partner.

I would just prefer, for personal reasons, to have a new username.

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Billing-Payments/Change-of-Primary-Login-for-Bigpond/m-p/54496...

It appears there is no way to switch a primary username. Hopefully someone from Crowd Support is able to help make the changeover as smooth as possible for you though.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ausboy74,

Regrettably, it is not possible to change the username. We have made some changes to how our system handles email addresses that allow us to reuse the same email as the primary username when switching between technologies (some limitations do apply).

Currently the only way to do what you are asking would be to cancel the existing service and start fresh. You can still keep the existing email address if you wish and depending on how the account is setup in our system currently there may or may not be downtime for both email and service.

I would suggest that you have a chat to one of my colleagues via Live Chat (link in my signature) and they can advise for your situation what is the best way to get the outcome you are after.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Ausboy74

Thanks DanK, 

But as usual when dealing with Telstra, nothing is ever easy! Have just been speaking with someone via 'LiveChat' and all they have said is the same as the above and to call.  That's how this all started, and I'm totally dis-satisfied with the off shore people I'm required to deal with.

I think that my solution will just be to cancel my service entirely, pay whatever stupid penalty applies and vote with my feet. I'll take my business elsewhere.

allinone
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Ausboy74 wrote:

Thanks DanK

I think that my solution will just be to cancel my service entirely, pay whatever stupid penalty applies and vote with my feet. I'll take my business elsewhere.

as a Telstra shareholdEr I would much prefer you to remain a customer, so as an options call 132200 and say cancellation ask the friendly consultant about cancelling and upgrading to a new account in YOUR account number. I am sure that you will be able to have most of the cancellation fees waived if you signup to a new 12/24 month contract. 

If it is a wait period between connections I could not understand as churning to a new RSP would  have the same time out  anyway.

I hope that you get a satisfactory  end result.

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Send me a private message with the email addresses in question and what you would like to have happen then I will see if we can sort this out from here.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
TommyTheTankEng
Level 6: Bloodhound

The reason for this inability to change the username comes from very poor database design on Bigpond's part. Apparently they have made the username the unique "key" for the account record rather than following modern database design standards and having a hidden field such as "comp_id" as the account record key. What else should we expect, I suppose?!

mira-glisimpson

mira.glikson-simpson

mira-glisimpson

mira.glikson-simpson

Martyn_Tilse
Level 2: Rookie

At last, the ring of truth! Now I understand and am,sadly, not surprised.
Didee333

Is this still the case with Telstra that you cannot change your primary email address???

This seems like the tail is wagging the dog. I've made 3 phone calls now to try and change my primary email address as this address is in my previous name prior to marriage.

Will Telstra charge penalties because their sydtem will not allow this to happen, IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE CUSTOMER but Telstra's processes!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit