Jonuz
Level 2: Rookie

Changing from ADSL2+ to Cable Question

Hi. Ive been getting constant drop out and slow speeds with my adsl and wanted to know the process of changing to cable. I had cable but when joining telstra they gave me adsl instead even though i also had foxtel added which is through cable. If the house already had cable(optus) and foxtel from telstra would it just be the matter of installing the new cable modem on the old optus cable port or some how using the foxtel port then just calling telstra with the MAC address or will a technician need to come out because ive been told i could self install the cable modem. If so what are the charges, im already out of contract.

Thank You

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Changing from ADSL2+ to Cable Question

If the house already had cable(optus) and foxtel from telstra would it just be the matter of installing the new cable modem on the old optus cable port …

No.

…will a technician need to come out because ive been told i could self install the cable modem.

You can only take the self-install option (and end up with a working cable broadband service) if your premises is already to the BigPond HFC network.

If so what are the charges, im already out of contract.

http://telstra.com.au/internet/home-broadband-bigpond-elite-plans/index.htm#tab-professionalinstalla...

$(216+48), if you're signing up to a 24-month minimum term contract for your new BigPond Cable broadband service. 

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Jonuz

Thanks for the reply i thought that was the case. But on the phone they keep telling me that i can do it myself and told that a wanted to be connected to cable but they still insit that i could do it myself. Think i might just go optus

BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Hi Jonuz,

If you have an existing Foxtel service from Telstra then you have a working socket so call up and you will be sent out a Self Install Kit containing a modem and a splitter to allow the Foxtel and Cable modem to share the same existing socket, there is no need for additional cabling or a tech to attend either.

Hope this helps.

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Jonuz

Thanks for the replay BMac

Hmm i was told that over the phone but i assumed that the internet needed to be connected to a specific location and not the same as the foxtel one. I have foxtel in 2 rooms would any one work? Also would there not be somesort of interferance? Are your certain on this working, with using as foxtel port to split into 2 allowing for HFC

Thank You

BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth

No worries at all Smiley Happy

As long as the house is wired and connected to the outside world it shouldn't matter which socket the modem gets connected into, it's similar to a phone connection, one the phone is connected then all the phone sockets in the house should work off the same line.

BigPond Cable modems and Foxtel use the same HFC network to provide you with either of these services, the splitter provided with the modem will allow you to use both the Foxtel box and the BigPond modem in the same socket, the splitter should stop any major interference between the 2 units, this is a regular setup for BigPond cable customers and should work with no worries - assuming no boosters or spliiters are already installed (which you may not be aware of).

Basically from the socket you have a single cable as you normally do for your Foxtel box, this instead goes into a 2 way splitter which allows you to connect both the modem and the Foxtel box in the same socket - easy! Smiley Happy

Worst case you have a 10 day cooling off period with BigPond to cancel your service should it not work.

I'd probably try to head into a Telstra store and try to pick up a Cable Modem Self Install Kit and go home and install it!

Let us know how you go if you do Smiley Happy

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

BMac wrote:

Worst case you have a 10 day cooling off period with BigPond to cancel your service should it not work.

What 10-day cooling off period?

Cooling off periods only apply to unsolicited consumer periods only, in the context of telecommunications services.

The 10 Day (‘money back’) Coverage Guarantee that BigPond offers on post-paid Mobile Broadband services is not a cooling-off period. (See Part D – Mobile Broadband in the BigPond Service section of Our Customer Terms for details of the guarantee.) It also does not apply to BigPond Cable services.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Jonuz

Ive just been told im now on a waiting list until theres a free port? They just keep confusing me

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit