Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

CHROMECAST DEVICES AND NBN ROUTER ISSUES

Recently joined up to NBN - everything working fine except for Chromecasts x 2.. Have rebooted devices a number of times but despite working on an old Nighthawk, won't have a bar of the NBN router. I believe they only work on 2.4ghz but can't find out where it tells me what ghz the NBN router works on. Nothing in Manual about it ? Any ideas ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: CHROMECAST DEVICES AND NBN ROUTER ISSUES

The modem is dual band but the modem might have a faulty 2.4 GHz transmitter. By default the modem uses the same SSID for both WiFi bands. Suggest you disable band steering in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This adds -5G to the modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If you only see the SSID with -5G and not the normal SSID then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

If you are setting up chromecast with a new router the chromecast device has to be factory reset and then added as a new device using Google home app.

Highlighted

Thank you. I have factory re-set both Chromecasts and set up as a new device each time. They're working fine with the old Nighthawk, but I don't want to have to keep dragging that out to use the chrome casts. Where do I disable band steering ? On the router itself, or log in to an NBN website somewhere ? The Router model number is NDD-00300. The manual is no help at all.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - that is the FTTC Network Connection Device. cf4 is referring you to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 which is connected to it the NDD. Log into its 192.168.0.1 address, enter default or changed password and go to the 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi section to Disable Bandsteering and SAVE.

Highlighted

Roger, thank you Mkrtich - I thought the NBN one was the "Router" and the other the Telstra "Smart Modem" - so confusing for this "technically-challenged" mature-aged bimbo ha ha. I'll give that a go. Was initially a bit sceptical about this Crowdsupport thing, but at least you get an answer! Much appreciated.

Highlighted

We all have our [L] Plates on down here. The forum is a great collection of people's experiences and solutions. The Search a Topic entry line on the home screen is a good way to check if others have had similar issues. You are in goods hands with cf4 - an experienced driver. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit