clover84
Level 2: Rookie

Closed ADSL ports

I moved house 3 months ago. I live in a small area with only 1 exchange in country WA. The exchange covers an area around 10-15 kms from my house, but that includes out of town area's. I live less than 1km from the exchange (possibly as close as 500m). I live in the same street.

There are currently no ports available, even though there was no one else moving/connecting at the time of my move. My port has somehow gone back into the system, but is not available to me. Very small community, one other person moved house AFTER me & was also waiting for a port (possibly above me on the list/may already have been connected, but I put in my order & moved first, so I assume it should've been available to me first... they also live a few km from the exchange).

Now, I received information that back in early June there were 106 ports available in my area. By the 15th there were 0. This is a town of around 200 people. There's no way they were used, so I assume they were shut down for what ever reason... I also feel that 'high demand' is a bit over the top, considering again, the lack of people living here...

My question is, is there a way I can apply to have just one of those ports opened up? I know that there may be one other person still waiting ADSL, but i highly doubt there's anyone else. Small town, I chat to everyone.

Is this in any way possible? And if not, why not? I study online & have 2 special needs kids, so internet access is my breathing space some days. I'm also a single parent, so can't be constantly throwing money at mobile internet, as I have been the past 3 months.

Any advice on who to contact, or how to possibly go about this would be great.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
clover84

Re: Closed ADSL ports

No advice? I've been waiting 8 months now & am seriously over it.
Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

While we're working to provide internet connections for as many customers as possible there may be a few reasons that a fixed-line broadband service isn't available at the moment. If your cable length from the exchange is over a certain distance (normally around 4.5 kilometres) the signal interference becomes too great to support a stable broadband connection. Not all phone cabling is installed in a direct path to the exchange, so it's possible some homes in a street can access ADSL while others can't. There may also be an issue with a lack of available ports at the time you place an order, meaning a connection may only become available if someone disconnects or relocates their service or when port expansion work is completed in your area.

if you've placed an order for a broadband connection recently our Activations teams on 13 22 00 will be able to advise of the exchange code for the area you'd be connected to. You can use this code to search for any upcoming ADSL port expansion works in your exchange area via the reports at http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

The reports marked ‘Available ADSL Capacity – Exchanges’ and ‘Available ADSL Capacity – CAN’ let you know how many ports are available at the area in total and how many of those are currently unused. The reports ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – CAN’ and ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – Exchanges’ advise of any recently completed or upcoming work to provide more ports at the exchange or in street pillars. If there is scheduled work for an upcoming month I'd recommend placing an order towards the end of that month.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

clover84

Thanks for your reply. But first of all, I'm 200m as the crow flies from the exchange. There are 3 houses between myself & the exchange. I'm well with in the 4.5 km. The whole town is. NEWD1 is the name of the exchange (Newdegate)

The lack of available ports at the exchange is the issue. 106 ports were shut down in June 15 & because I moved house just after this (same exchange, info, street etc) I lost my port. That port has disappeared into the system. I know this because the only other person connecting ADSL at the time was also not connected.

6 months later another person disconnected their ADSL to move to another town. Still myself & the other person waiting on a port didn't receive one. Another port gone back into the system, even though we were both promised one when it became available & were told when someone moved we'd be able to pick theirs up.

There is apparently an overload at the exchange. Locals are experiencing slower speeds. So yes, there may well be congestion. They are complaining. Yet nothing is being done. City area's house thousands of people under their exchange area's, we have at most, 100 people living in town. I could count the number of houses in my head if I tried hard enough, not all of them have, or are interested in having an ADSL connection. So why do city area's cope with businesses & downloads & so many people being online at once, when our little exchange is struggling so much.

I'm making a fuss. Plain & simple. I use another provider, so understand Testra can't help me themselves, even though they are the only wholesaler at our exchange. I have called every company with leased ports here, not one of them has a reserved available port. There for I intend to make my fuss through both my provider AND telstra. I've also contacted my local MP.

I need to do something, our whole community is suffering at the moment & it's not fair that just because we are small we can't have the work done. We won't be getting NBN for up to 5 years, I don't want to wait that long. My children deserve to be able to access the same apps & websites other kids in other area's can access for school. I can't afford mobile or satellite & think it's ridiculous that I should have to when I live in an area serviced with ADSL1.

Any suggestions you may have about other ways to go about getting myself heard would be appreciated. I do check the Telstra reports & plans regularly (Newdegate 0 0 0 0 is what is listed for available ports. Nothing at all) & spoke to a Telstra employee who fixed my phone line this morning & he advised that there is nothing planned in the next 12 months.

I've now had 2 Telstra employee's tell me to 'make some noise', so here I am.

Thank you

Renee
Level 21: Augmented

Thank you for getting back to us Clover84, I can certainly appreciate your frustration with awaiting available ports within your area and knowing users within the area that have disconnected their services and moved away.

When services are disconnected from ports at the exchange, the ports are quarantined for a period of time, usually around three months. Therefore, during this time, no services can be connected to the recently released ports. I apologise if this was not explained to you.

Greg has provided you with information regarding very handy reports that advise of the movement/increase/changes to ADSL exchanges. The reports are updated quite regularly and therefore worth checking from time to time.

Regrettably, as much as using the internet has become as autonomous as brushing our teeth everyday, a fixed broadband service is not guaranteed and therefore, we are unable to promise to connect you when a port becomes available. Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with making noise and I appreciate the time you have taken to do so.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

clover84

Thank you. I did find this information later on myself about the quarantine. I still think there may have been a mistake in my original relocation & that maybe I should have kept my port.
My previous port was disconnected in August last year. It's been well past the 3 months it may have been quarantined. And given how small the community is, I know it hasn't been picked up by anyone else. I was top of the waiting list, but due to another company telling me they had a reserved port, when they actually didn't, I attempted to connect with them & lost my place in the que... which only has 2 people.
The most recent port may not have reached the 3 months/90 days yet, but it would be soon. I was relying on someone picking that one up & provided the phone number & address linked to it.

There are no plans/upgrades, anything at all in the reports/plans for the Newdegate exchange. I do see the Nyabing one was recently done (a few hundred km from us & smaller exchange area), so am hoping we may be seen at some point & something done. I'm just really hoping for sooner rather than later.
Renee
Level 21: Augmented

You're most welcome. Given there is a physical move of address and service, this does require a whole new line path and therefore, as a result of this, it's not as simple as hooking up your new line path to your existing port. It would be very nice if this was a option, but at this time it's not quite as simple as it appears.

In the meantime, it would be a case of checking every month as we don't have a waiting list or have the foresight to predict when a port will be available - not as of yet.

Thanks again clover84. I, too, hope for something sooner rather than later for you.

clover84

I've also since found out that the local primary school has been trying to have something done for quite a while as well. Over 12 months now. It's quite disappointing when our school kids don't even rate as important enough to have a decent internet connection :/
clover84

I have aother question for anyone who works for telstra? Relating to the original post.

Today I went to the Telstra website. Just for fun. I looked up availability at my address. As I suspected, I was told that it wouldn't be available. I then looked up my previous address, but the system couldn't find it, so I picked one from the suggested list.

Basically came to the conclusion that if I moved straight across the road from my house I could be connected! I feel this must be a website fault - remembering that I'm 200m from the exchange - but can someone enlighten me? Because if this is the case I'd almost be tempted to connect at my brothers workers quarters & using it from here. I'm close enough!

Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi clover84, 

ANy check for ADSL based on just an address will show an area and not confirm the home. There are a few factors and accross the road may be on a different exchange. 

Some factors are:

a) on really long lines (ie more than about 7Km MAX) - no ADSL -

b) on pair gain systems  - 2 people sharing 1 copper line, no ADSL

c) boosters are being used - sometimes they can be removed off the line and give you a working ADSL service - sometimes not.

d) you are halfway between 2 exchanges and have the possibility of being provided service from either

e) you have extra cabling to your premises compared to your neighbours (replacing damaged cabling can cause this) which causes excessive loss - no ADSL in this case.

f) your neighbours are at the end of the line and you're just that bit too far away from the exchange to give you ADSL.

We need an order placed with an active home phone number to know if ADSL can be supplied at an address. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit