Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Co-existence or fault??

I have been connected to NBN (FTTN) since April 2016 with speeds of 49Mpbs down and 20Mpbs up. 1 month ago NBN did maintenance on the lines and the pit directly outside my house which resulted in my speed being limited to 19Mpbs down and 6Mpbs up (max line rate on the modem also showed the lower speed) for 1 month of hell trying to Argue with Telstra and Telstra then lodging faults with NBN nothing got done and in the end NBN kept denying there was any fault. So i did the TIO complaint which resulted in Telstra calling me and offering me a credit on my next bill and also explaining that there reason i can only achieve those speeds are because of Co-existence. Now this to me does not make any sense at all, How can one person that has been on the NBN for over 2 years with no drop in speed then go to the speed getting cut in half the minute someone worked in the pit outside my house? wouldn't the Co-existence period of been a while ago and not more then 2 years later? and how do you find out for sure if my area is still in Co-existence? And again this was not mentioned to me in the 3 week period of me calling Telstra it was only mentioned to me after the TIO complaint and when they could not get NBN to fix it.

This is extremely frustrating as i do feel like i am being lied to just so they can close this case. again max line rate of 65Mpbs down to max line rate of 20Mpbs how on earth can that be Co-Existence?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Co-existence or fault??

Please post your modem stats so we can have a look and see whats going on:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway or Smart Modem
(DJN2130 & DJA0230 ):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband

Default password is generally 'admin'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

These are the modem stats from today..it's the same for both wifi and Ethernet and exactly the same at all hours of the day 

DSL Status

Up
DSL Uptime
1 day 1 hour 15 minutes 33 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
 7.34 Mbps  22.29 Mbps
Line Rate
 7.31 Mbps  22.79 Mbps
Data Transferred
 743.65 MBytes  3227.82 MBytes
Output Power
 6.3 dBm  12.6 dBm
Line Attenuation
 14.4, 45.5, 75.4 dB  24.9, 56.2, 82.2 dB
Noise Margin
 12.3 dB  11.6 dB

Now these were the line stats before all this mess started 
Maximum Line rate
22.81 Mbps 64.93 Mbps
Line Rate
6.4 Mbps 28 Mbps
Data Transferred
46.66 MBytes 212.7 MBytes
Output Power
7.3 dBm 0 dBm
Line Attenuation
7.8, 38.4, 57.8,N/A,N/A dB 18.2, 46.8, 70.0 dB
Noise Margin
18.2 dB 19.9 dB
The above was before we got the speed boost activated. once that was activated we had a constant 49Mpbs down and 19Mpbs up.
As you can see it's a big difference. this only happened after the guy left the pit.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

You line attenuation has gone up especially at low frequency which would account for the reduced speed. The increased attenuation could be due to a high resistance joint. Because your speeds are above the guaranteed minimum it will be hard to get NBN Co to fix the fault. Do you also suffer from internet drop outs?

Highlighted

Yes we have drop outs but apparently not enough to warrant NBN fixing it, we were having 10+ a day but that has since gone down to around 1 or 2 a day. 

With those line stats is it possible for what telstra said to be in co-existence? surely that cannot explain that huge drop in speeds? and is there anyway to find out because i think our area might have ADSL switched off already. 

Highlighted

If you've had NBN for more than 18 months, coexistence would most likely be over.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Yes had NBN since April 2006. I knew it was not co- existence but I guess Telstra had to make up something so i wouldn't complain any more and they could close the case.. Because NBN are useless. 

I'm just very disappointed in the fact they tampered with the connection and now will not fix it and claim nothing is wrong.  I wonder if another complaint will do anything or i'll just have to wait for my line to go dead completely for them to fix it. 

A question though.. after the first 18 months isn't the Minimum speeds you are guaranteed 25Mbps? 

Highlighted

I think 25mbps is the minimum line speed nbn have to provide.

Highlighted

The government originally guaranteed a  minimum speed of 25 Mbps for the NBN and NBN CO reduced this to 12 Mbps during the coexistence period. I haven't seen it in righting that NBN Co guarantees 25 Mbps after coexistence on DSL links.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nbn-will-only-guarantee-12mbps-speeds-during-fttn-transition/

Have you accepted Telstra's conclusion that it is due to coexistence. If you haven't accepted that it was due to coexistence then the original complaint can not be closed.

Did you have any Internet drop outs before the maintenance in the pit? If you didn't then there is fault and NBN Co should send out a Technician to investigate. If you are noticing two drop outs a day unless you are using the Internet for 23 hours a day there could be more. You can check this by looking at the number of Link retrains. Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics. Each Link retain count would indicate a loss of internet.

Highlighted

I did not really accept the excuse but they gave me compensation then she said the case was closed.

I am going to be making another complaint as i do not see how this is considered not a fault.

We did not have drop outs before the street maintenance, there were around 6 vans working in the street that week and they had at least 5 pits open in the rain. We had a couple of drop outs one lasting 9 hours but that was stated on the Telstra website as being caused by maintenance. The minute the technician left the pit directly outside our house was when the trouble started. Telstra did the usual stability profile which helped the drop outs but dropped the speed even further. In the 4 weeks of consulting back and forth with Telstra they lodged the complaint 4 times with NBN and each time the NBN dismissed it. 

Was only after the TIO that they called me and said it was co-existence. I did put a formal complaint into the NBN but I'm guessing they took no notice of that either.  It's funny though 3 days ago the Technician was back working in the pit 3 houses down and it was full of water. But nobody will take any notice of my issue, Telstra even said the speed cap was for all of NSW LMAO.. I very highly doubt that!

If i did put a complaint in with NBN can i call them and follow up on that complaint or is it all handled by Telstra?

Highlighted

they essentially will just refer you back to the RSP... nbnco is designed to minimise their direct responsibility.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit