Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Coaxial cable connection incompatible with NBN modem

The modem supplied to connect NBN has no coaxial input that the Telstra tech changed my service over to when installing the current Netgear modem. So now there is no way to connect the NBN modem directly as there is no phone - I read about bridging the old modem as a dummy, does that mean daisy-chaining the old modem to the new modem and the new NBN-ready router to the new modem as normal? Also read the coaxial cable has a lower bit-rate than the phone cable...is this true?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Coaxial cable connection incompatible with NBN modem

If you are transferring to NBN HFC you should also get a NBN modem that connects to the coaxial cable. The Telstra modem connects to the Ethernet port on the NBN modem. No all areas that presently have Telstra coaxial cable will be transferring to NBN HFC. Some areas are converted to FTTC or FTTP which use the phone socket.. You can find out what type of NBN by entering your address at this site.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

Telstra offers speeds up to 100/40 on HFC but only 50/20 on FTTC or FTTN.

You can use the Netgear modem as a cable adapter for the Telstra modem. The Telstra modem's WAN port connects to a LAN port of the Netgear but you first have to turn of WIFI on Netgear and Bridge Netgear.

Go to Advanced > WAN Setup > NAT and select "bridge mode" then reboot

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the advice.  The service is FTTC. Bridging the modem seems like a poor workaround as it (i) requires and additional power outlet which in this case means a bigger power board I have to buy and (ii) takes up more space, (iii) more devices = more cables = more things that can go wrong...where do I "go to Advanced"?

Highlighted

Open a web browser on a device connected to the Netgear and go to http://192.168.0.1, user Id is admin and password is Telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit