Level 3: Gumshoe

Compensation required

No nbn for 15 days I need compensation

Yesterday at 3pm we list nbn connection due to a huge storm. I reported the issue and was told I’d get a call back within 9 hours. So midnight. No response at 9.30 so I went to the support chat using my Optus mobile data. No response for some time then finally I was told I could get an appointment for a nbn technician on 16 November. I was originally told the 10tb but in the 34 minutes it took the person to respond it became the 10th.

I work from home due to COVID. I have gamer sons. How do I work from home and satisfy gamer sons who need the net for job search?

im going to a rival company to get some sort of internet for two weeks+. 
I need a form to seek reimbursement for the cost of internet services to 10 devises for 2+ weeks. Is there a form and how do I claim the expensive cost to continue? I’m extremely angry and tired of this.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27

No nbn for 15 days I need compensation

Yesterday at 3pm we list nbn connection due to a huge storm. I reported the issue and was told I’d get a call back within 9 hours. So midnight. No response at 9.30 so I went to the support chat using my Optus mobile data. No response for some time then finally I was told I could get an appointment for a nbn technician on 16 November. I was originally told the 10tb but in the 34 minutes it took the person to respond it became the 10th.

I work from home due to COVID. I have gamer sons. How do I work from home and satisfy gamer sons who need the net for job search?

im going to a rival company to get some sort of internet for two weeks+. 
I need a form to seek reimbursement for the cost of internet services to 10 devises for 2+ weeks. Is there a form and how do I claim the expensive cost to continue? I’m extremely angry and tired of this.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Compensation required

You can ask for a credit on your account to cover the lack of service once service has been resumed. 

Changing providers won't get you connected quicker if the problem is with the NBN connection itself. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

I’m thinking wireless broadband from Optus. No telephone line needed but it’s not cheap. I might need a lawyer to get full reimbursement 

I was just advised I’ll get $30 compensation lol I need a lawyer I think

Level 21: Augmented

Hi, that's not good. Can I ask what Telstra modem you have and what sort of NBN service is installed? What indicators are showing front and rear on the modem and NBN box (if you have one)?

If you have a Smart Modem 2, then there should be a 4G backup service available. If it hasn't kicked in already you might need to disconnect the cable from the WAN or DSL port and wait a few minutes for the modem to switch to 4G mode (the indicator on the front will change colour - blue/purple in most cases). 4G backup is not as fast as some NBN services, but it will allow general use - email, browsing etc. It might not be great for gaming though, only one device at a time probably and then it will still be slow..  any streaming will be the same.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra is only obliged to compensate you for the days the internet is lost as a percentage of the monthly fee. Telstra is not obliged to pay compensation for lost income. Contacting a lawyer will not result in the connection getting fixed any earlier or increase in compensation.

I pay approximately $120 pm on Telstra nbn if I’m not using it for 2 weeks I want at least $60 discount/refund. I’m having to buy internet services from another company to work. $30 is disgusting 

Hi Stevo52 I’m a tech junkie, not ashamed of it. I wouldn’t know how to access the 4g back up. I’d need instructions on accessing it for work. 

went to the Telstra store got. Very little assistance so I went to a rival got 3 mini wifi dongles for $99 each with 50G. But that won’t last long. 

Level 23: Superhero

Hello Sharon, You don't need to be technically inclined  to induce your modem to switch to 4G mode, providing it is a Telstra Smart Modem.

On the back of it where you have about 4 or 5 LED's, below that you will see a cable going into a socket labelled WAN. That is where you unplug the cable for a few minutes. After about 3 to 5 minutes you will see the LED for Mobile Mode light up which tells you your modem is working on 4G back up. (and your internet should work again, albeit slowly).    

Then reconnect the plug into WAN mode where you removed it from, so when the NBN comes back, it will automatically switch back to NBN mode from Mobile mode.

If you have any questions about doing this, just post again.

P.P.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

No mobile mode light after 6 minutes. Wifi light and phone led is on though.

Wan/dsl light now but nothing else

Is there anything plugged into DSL port?

Is Mobile Signal light on?

Level 21: Augmented

You have a WAN and a DSL light? - if that is so, you need to remove both the WAN and the DSL cables from those  ports on the modem - not sure why you would have both connected. If either is connected, your modem will not switch to 4G mode.

Disconnect the WAN/DSL cables and leave disconnected until you get the 4G indicator on the front or the Mobile indicator on the back. it will take at least 5 minutes probably but sometimes takes longer. Leave it out for a while (30 minutes) before reconnecting  again - the modem might be sensing a connection from the WAN/DSL, even if it is inconsistent.

From your description, you are not seeing a Mobile Signal indicator on the back panel? You might want to power the modem off, leave it off for a couple of minutes, then with the WAN/DSL disconnected, power the modem up again and see what happens.

If it still doesn't show, then power the modem off and remove the SIM card. Reinsert and then power the modem on again.

There are some unofficial user guides available for the Telstra modems, it depends which make/model you have (written on the label on the bottom). The user guide might explain it to you a bit better?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

I disconnected the wan/dsl cable waited 6 mins no light. Only thing plugged in now is phone and Ethernet. I’m trying again

If the Mobile Signal light is off you will be waiting indefinitely for 4G backup to start. The Mobile Signal  light should be on all the time. There is something wrong with 4G backup. You could try factory rrssetting modem by pressing reset button located near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds.

What model is modem DJAO231 or LH1000. The label on the bottom has the model number.

Tried that last night and I don’t recall it ever being on

Suggest you turn modem off take SIM card out and reinsert it. The cut off edge goes in first and the metal contacts face the ethernet ports.

What model is modem DJAO231 or LH1000. The label on the bottom has the model number.

I reset it and it’s the same wifi light on, phone light on, red light at the front. Only cables in are ethereal and phone.

DJA0231

Ok done that now waiting for lights to come back on. Wifi on, phone light on...that’s it

Can you log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > Mobile. The settings should be the same as section 25 of the document linked in this post

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Mobile is enabled but says no device connected

I think it’s time to quit. I’ve had enough. Thanks people for all your efforts.

You will have to contact support. Your modem is either faulty or the SIM card has been incorrectly provisioned.

It worked fine til the storm this time yesterday

If the mobile signal light has never been on the 4G function was faulty when you received modem or the SIM card was incorrectly provisioned. When main link is working the 4G function being fsulty will not effect the intetnet connection. The lightining strike has caused a fault on main NBN link and if 4G had not been faulty modem would have switched to 4G.

I’ve rung Telstra support getting a new modem and the nbn repaired 10 days earlier on 6/11. Thank you people for all your assistance 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit