Level 2: Rookie

Complaint Escalation - Still no internet, no landline and no e-mails

I’ve been with Telstra for 12 years, 9 months and days to the date (08 November 2018), and have lived at the same address for a few weeks more than that. I know this because it marks my arrival in Australia. Why I'm starting with this will become apparent as you read on.

Along with my internet service, I have a landline, at some point had Foxtel and two e-mail accounts with Telstra. These e-mail accounts are linked to all of my Australian accounts, from immigration information to local eateries.

Over the years I’ve had different plans and entered different contracts and never have my e-mail accounts been disabled or deactivated when changing from one plan to another or when starting up a new contract.

A new e-mail account was opened with my full name without my knowledge and/or authorisation. This account was made to be the primary account for my contract because, and this is a direct quote: "It is better to have the primary email using your full name".

As soon as I noticed this, I contacted Telstra and made them aware of the issue. I was told that this new account wouldn't interfere with my other accounts.

Yet here we are.

On 01 November my Internet stopped working. Before contacting Telstra, I checked the outages website and there were none in my area. I then proceeded to go through all of the steps in the Smart Troubleshooting website. For this, I needed to log onto my account. 

I was able to log on as of 01 November 2018 morning and afternoon. There I saw my e-mail accounts, all three of them, including the one I never created nor authorised.

I went through all of the troubleshooting steps as a formality hoping to avoid contacting customers service yet again.

The reason I didn't want to contact customers service is simple, my experience with Telstra's customer service for the last 6 months or so has been a nightmare.

My issues started when I renewed my contract, I’ve had NBN since 2016 when I placed an order for a 24 Month Bundle Contract + Telstra Large Bundle on 20 April 2016.

I had no issues with NBN until I renewed the contract this year (when it lapsed)

Ever since I renewed, I’ve been having troubles with either the landline or the NBN speed.

In the last 6 months: 

• I've wasted a ridiculous amount of time just waiting to be heard
• I've initiated at least 8 chats trying to resolve these issues, all of them lasting hours. The last one lasted 3 tedious hours in which I was given a lot of scripted answers that weren't addressing my questions
• I’ve made more than 10 calls
• I’ve received more than 10 calls
• In the month of October alone, I've spoken to customer service on the 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 20th and 29th and still have no resolution, on the contrary, the issues have been aggravated further
• I've turned to social media for assistance
• I’ve made a formal complaint (SR1-1750978729279)
• I've been given flat out false information by customer service representatives trying to close the case but not solve it
• I've waited some more on a case manager that cannot keep his word on when he'll call (I wouldn't mention this if it hadn't happened in several occasions) and who doesn't seem to be able to grasp the problem
• I’ve been sent 3 different modems

Because NBN claims there were no issues on their end, the issue was escalated with Telstra. I had a Telstra technician come to the house on 29 October and I was told there were "no obvious problems" but he left and the landline was still not working and I was simply told, “you will hear back". When? Your guess is as good as mine.

Then on 01 November, my Internet stopped working and the new part of this nightmare begins, in which I have no Internet, no landline and my e-mail accounts have been disabled or deleted and no one can tell me why.

I finally hear from the case manager on Monday (05 November), and he tells me the e-mails are working, insists on it, even. This is while I'm in front of my computer unable to access them and being redirected to the site that will help me to fix it. The steps listed didn't work.

He proceeds to tell me that there's a "Provisioning Order" on my account. This is where the information regarding how long I’ve lived at my current residence becomes relevant, as he insists I’ve moved or are in the process of moving. I have to then keep correcting him that no changes have been made on my part, that I’ve not moved nor am I planning to move. That I’ve been on this contract for 6 months now (and with Telstra for almost 13 years), he goes quiet and says he'll call in "10 to 15 minutes". I never hear from him again.

07 November 2018, I receive a call from a member of the Technical Support Team who proceeds to tells me they don't know why I’m having issues with my e-mails and that he'd get me in contact with the Connection Management Team to see why there was a "Provision Order" (these names are direct quotes, sorry for the inconsistency) placed on my account, and more importantly, who made it.

This is where I re-stress that I’ve made no changes in my living arrangements and I didn't request a change in my contract. I’ve had NBN for 2 years before all of these issues started and have changed plans/bundles several times in the past 12+ years with Telstra and this is the first time an issue of this magnitude has arisen.

The member of Technical Support Team said he was escalating the e-mail issue to the Network Team and he created a ticket. He'd then be contacting me on 08 November with an answer.

What he actually did was call back a few minutes later as he had been advised to wait until the Connection Management Team resolves the "Provision Order".

I’ve dealt with so many teams and no one can tell me who placed the order and why.

Today I had another Telstra technician come in, he says I’m disconnected from NBN. He cannot confirm this is related to the "Provision Order" but suspects that is the case, he'll notify the proper channels and, again, your guess is as good as mine.

Here is where I re-stress that I’ve had 5 NBN technicians visit my home, that I was connected to NBN for 2 years prior to all of this starting and that until 01 November 2018 8:43 AM I was connected to NBN.

I was left again with no Internet, no landline (voice), unable to access my e-mails, which are attached to pretty much most of my Australian life and of course, no concrete answers.

I am told: "The problem should be fixed soon enough".

I'd like to know when is "soon enough" but since I know I'll be given more lip service, and "we understand how frustrating this issue is" peppered in with a few "it's unacceptable", now I want to know how to escalate a complaint?

Regards.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Complaint Escalation - Still no internet, no landline and no e-mails

If you haven’t lodged an official complaint it can be done here.
https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints

If you have and still unable to get it resolved you can escalate it to the CEO office with the SR reference number here.
https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form

Failing that it would be referring it external but if you have tried both of the above first it is usually the quickest way to get it sorted.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Marked as "Accepted Solution" by mistake.

While thankful you took the time to answer, DrQ, your comment didn't offer any new insight. As stated in my original post: "I’ve made a formal complaint (SR1-1750978729279)".

I've gone through all the channels I can find, short of contacting TIO, to escalate it.

My post was intended to find people in a similar position and hear what worked for them (if anything)

Cheers!

If you have escalated it to the ceo office and they haven’t been able to resolve it. That would be about as high as it can go without referring it externally, say the TIO. Personally I have found the ceo office have been good at resolving things in my case, but I did have an nbn issue which nbnco refused to fix so I took it to the TIO against nbnco and they came to the party after that. In my case nbnco kept cancelling appointments no matter what was booked with no reason.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

I've contacted the office of the CEO and I'm awaiting a response.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to update this thread as my case progresses (or not) in case it helps someone else in the future.

13 November 2018

As of today, no call from the case manager and the "Provision Order" is still "in progress" when I sign onto my account.

On 08 November 2018, I contacted 1 800 029 141, spending 50 minutes on the line and being passed around from agent to agent. I was finally told that there was a "Disconnect Order" in the system which was applied on 31 October 2018 and, just like with the "Provision Order", no one seems to know who placed it.

» A bit concerning that orders are being cancelled and placed on our accounts without our knowledge.

I didn't need to fear though, the order was meant to be completed by 05 November, it being 08 November is just a pesky little detail which only seemed to be important to me?

Another request was made on my behalf for the case manager to contact me ASAP and I should expect a call "soon enough".

Here we are, 13 November 2018, and still no call.

Telstra, "soon enough" is no longer enough of an answer for me.

14 November 2018

At the end of the day, I received a phone call from Telstra.

The agent I spoke to confirmed the e-mails had been deleted/deactivated and explained she didn't believe the "Provision Order" had anything to do with their status.

She coordinated with the Billing Department to reactivate them as she believed this was the cause of the deletion of the e-mail accounts.

After receiving a "One Time Verification Order" via SMS, the e-mails were reinstated and the e-mail case was closed.

I was transferred to another agent who explained that the "Provision Order" was made on my behalf because of an automatic "Disconnect Order" on the system*.

*It seems that for the last 6 months, I've had a mismatched order (?) with two different PRI numbers (NBN terminology) which had been causing the landline and internet speed issues.

From what I was told, I suspect this is the result of the unauthorised e-mail created which was then turned into my primary account. The same e-mail and account I notified Telstra about and that I was assured wouldn't interfere with my established main account.

I'm now in contact with a different case manager who has promised to contact me on Friday, 16 November 2018.

As soon as I have a development in my case, I'll return with an update.

Regards.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi 01011001,

I'm really sorry to hear this has been an ongoing and no doubt frustrating experience. It sounds like there has been some progress with this complaint and I'm confident your case manager can help you reach the desired outcome.

Please keep us in the loop with any progress.

-Chris

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what I've already heard over and over again during the last 6 months. It's good to see you still have confidence in the ability of your case managers to reach a solution. Someone has to keep the hope alive.

Personally, I have no confidence in a resolution being reached any time soon if a simple follow-up, suggested by the newest case manager, can not be met.

I'd also like to add that these scripted answers are not helpful, and I'd argue are more damaging as they simply highlight how little Telstra's customer service is genuine in their interactions.

I also deal with clients and I wouldn't dare to give them non-answers to try to appease them unless they were followed by actions to meet my promises.

I know it'll fall on deaf ears, as do most of the things I've tried to address but just something to think about.

Regards.

16 November 2018

On par with the customer service I've received so far, the case manager didn't contact me on Friday, on the time he himself set.

17 November 2018

The order now appears on "On Hold" in my account, and of course, no word on Telstra why this is the case.

19 November 2018

End of day and still no word from Telstra or the case manager.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit