Wehmer
Level 1: Cadet

Congested Exchange - Gorokan. Looking for answers

Hi all,

I recently upgraded the home internet to ADSL2. Being only 1000m cable length from the exchange, I figured I could expect speeds close to 12-15Mbps, but unfortunately I am stuck with speeds barely 1/10th of that.

I understand that the issue is caused by congestion (I have been told as much by several people in Telstra), and have been told by various people in Telstra that they're a) currently planning an upgrade to the exchange, b) looking at doing an upgrade in December-January or c) won't be upgrading the system any more due to the oncoming NBN (which, according to the rollout map) is 3+ years from being commenced in my area.

We have three people under the age of 30 in the house, two of whom are currently studying from home, and myself who works from home. All three of us have significant media requirements due to our study and work and are struggling to maintain our sanity all gather around the computer to do the daily speedtest run, only to leave sad and disappointed when it doesn't even hit 1.5.

Congestion is obviously an issue which would take significant resources to fix, and I can accept that, but I am chasing a time frame so I can at least know when (or - shudder - if) the service will be upgraded, and some options for what to do in the meantime.

We recently entered a 2 year contract with Telstra, but we cannot continue to operate our study or current working habits under such an underperforming exchange.

Please advise any course of action that would help improve. I have been impressed with every aspect of Telstra's customer service except in one regard; the resolution. I have spent many hours in the last week alone trying to speak to anyone who can offer a ray of sunshine but have come up completely empty handed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Wehmer

Re: Congested Exchange - Gorokan. Looking for answers

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2873773350.png

Two weeks later and this is my current network capabilities. I'm the only one accessing the internet currently. I'm trying to get work done and the service that we pay over $100 a month for is stalling.

I need to speak to someone about this immediately. It is incredibly difficiult to operate from home with ADLS2 speeds of this nature. I am not satisfied with the 'oh, you have a congested exchange, soz' response I have received from Telstra so far.

Please contact me to work out the next step from here.

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Wehmer,

As you're probably aware Crowd Support is for crowd sourcing assistance from the community. As such if you want immediate help from Telstra you're better off contacting them via another channel such as Twitter, Facebook or Livechat.

I don't know where you're getting your information from such as distance from exchange or approximate sync speeds (there are lots more factors on speed than just distance from exchange)

To be honest, based on the fact you have 600 ping it looks more like a fault than congestion. Regardless, are you able to post your modem stats so that we can better help you?

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Technicolor-TG582n-TG587nV3/ta-p/65484
Lathania

Hi Lathania,

I sounded quite rude in my last message, apologies to all.

I have included my stats. Note: the 600+ ping and the terribly slow connection speed was atypical even for my usually slow connection. I reset my modem a few times and it brought it back to it's (still somewhat underwhelming) norm of 45 second ping with 1.4 down and 0.7 up.

I have included my details below:

Uptime:0 days, 1:40:22
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,022 / 21,533
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:106.33 / 1.35
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.6 / 20.9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:11.6 / 24.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:7.0 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / GSPN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):128 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):20,553 / 259,766
CRC Errors (Up/Down):24,873 / 144
HEC Errors (Up/Down):17,234 / 748

Any help offered would be of great assistance. I assume congestion is the issue for my regular slow connection, but there must've been a small hiccup on my modem end to result in such a godawful speed/ping.

Again, sorry for the last mini-rant, the immediate problem of 600+ ping has resolved itself, but I'm still operating a connection that is subpar (though I will admit, after struggling through the 0.3Mbps down speeds, I will not complain about my connection too loudly. It could be worse! haha

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

You've downloaded 1.35GB in 1 hour 40 minutes which pretty much matches your 1.4Mb if you do the math so it seems like it was pretty consitant over that time, little bit faster. Looking at your sync speed and modem stats it definately looks like congestion, you might need to flag down Shelly, Brodie or one of the other Tech support staff to double check for you.

Lathania

Telstra (Retired)

Hey Wehmer,

We might need to run some tests on our end to confirm congestion, as Lathania suggested Smiley Happy

I'll PM you a link to our online form, hopefully we can get this working better for you.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Wehmer

Submitted, thank you very much guys.

I understand that SLA says an ADSL2 connection is pretty much anything over 1.1Mbps, so anything above that is kind of a bonus, but hopefully there is something that can be done. Some nights it gets closer to 3Mbps, but generally it's quite a ways under 2Mbps.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit