Level 1: Cadet

Connect phone via ethernet network switch

We have an old Victorian house with very thick stone walls. The NBN is connected in the rear of the house, with the NBN and white Telstra modems out there. We work in the front of the house. We have a wifi booster sitting down the hallway which helps - a bit. So we ran an ethernet cable from the modem for one laptop down the hall and that works a treat speed test 50+! The other one not so much. So I bought a network switch and now we have both laptops going at full speed - all good so far. However the phone reception is not so good for all the above reasons, so the handheld does not get the reception where we are working in the front room, because of the internal walls. So my question is, can I connect the phone cord (RJ?) with any adapter to the network switch which only has ethernet ports? What would the adapter be, and would it work at all? Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Connect phone via ethernet network switch

Hi - in residential installations, you can separate the NBN and Telstra modems to provide greater flexibility for your configuration requirements - the Ethernet LAN cable between the units can be extended with a long CAT 6 LAN cable. NBN Modem -------long LAN cable --------Telstra Modem --- wired phone or cordless phone.

Depending on your locations, you may not need an Ethernet Switch as the Telstra modem has LAN ports. You can also incorporate the LAN Switch to extend the number of Telstra modem LAN ports. NBN Modem -------long LAN cable --------Telstra Modem------- Ethernet Switch -----PC.

If you use an Ethernet switch at the end of your extended LAN cable, it only does data transmission and but also be used to connect the Telstra modem if you need to extend the distance further. NBN Modem -------long LAN cable --------Ethernet Switch ------Telstra Modem --- wired phone or cordless phone.

Level 24: Supreme Being

I would get rid of the ethernet switch and just connect Telstra modem to the NBN NTD via the long LAN cable. If switch is connected directly to NTD only one device can connect to the switch making the switch superflules.

Yes, I agree - must have got carried away with alternatives! Cheers. 

Thats correct cf4..  

If additional ethernet ports are required (I still like copper myself  Smiley Wink), any un-managed switch should be connected to one of the modem LAN ports. Provided they are good quality switches with decent backplane capacity, there is little or no impact on browsing/streaming speeds - speed to NAS device etc can suffer though if you want to save evey millisecond you can..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Thank you so much for your responses.

Update of info:

Perhaps I needed to clarify, I need to keep the modem(s) in the living room at the rear so that I can stream my tv, so putting the modem (either NBN or Telstra) in the office at the front of the house is not an option. I had talked with Telstra about putting points (or even two modems but that wasn't a goer!) in both areas, but due to the solid walls, and we do not have a manhole for roof cavity access, cabling is not possible. When we renovate and pull up the floor boards we can cable every room, but not now. 

So the current situation is:

Wall connection point (old Foxtel wiring piggy back) in living room, NBN and white Telstra modem next to that, with great wifi for the tv, ethernet cable from modem to front room, with the network switch connected to that, and laptops x2 and old printer connected to switch. So my question still remains, how can I connect the base of my cordless phone with an RJ (?) phone connection into the switch in the front room office which only has ethernet ports, and will it work?

Thanks again

It is just technically not possible to uses the network switch to extend the phone from modem to back of house.

What you could use is a Telstra voice extender which connects to the DECT base in modem wirelessly and has a rj11/rj12 port for connecting a handset or cordless phone base. They cost about $48.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TVE-User-Guide-Final.pdf

Another option if your phones are DECT the handset can connect wirelessly to DECT base in modem.

You can't connect the phone over active ethernet ports.  If it was point to point cabling you could (because the cable just goes point a to point b - i.e. copper all the way). The switch is active and will only allow ethernet traffic which the phone is not. The phone is asically an analog device, just a two wire connection.

What you could do, is put your current cordless phone aside. Try using  DECT cordless handset direct off the Smart Modem. Any of the DECT devices like the Telstra 503, Model TSH-C (haven't tested this one personally) and the TEC-C (DECT Handset)/TEC-A (DECT Hub)combination might work as they all have pretty good range.

I have 2 x 503's registered to my Smart Modem, that cover my whole house, all the yard, across the street and right to the other side of the 50 metre deep bush strip before they start to suffer. The only downside (which isn't a concern for me), is having to use Telstra 01 Message service. I have got used to managing call blocking etc from the modem GUI, so mo real downsides for me.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Thanks for the additional information.

My AppleTV4 streams on the weaker signal strength 5Ghz radio network from its upstairs location to my downstairs office study, approximately 20 metres on a diagonal path through fibro cement walls and a wooden floor, so it is not critical for the TV and the modem to be in the same room. The 2.4Ghz radio will broadcast a stronger signal. Streaming does not require a lot of bandwidth speed. I acknowledge that your walls may prevent a successful Wi-Fi if the LAN extension cable is used with the modem. 

The LAN Switch is not capable of telephone transmission. So as an interim solution pending future cabling, lets look at your cordless base station - do you have one or two handsets? If you have a Panasonic Cordless system, check out if it supports a DECT Repeater to extend its coverage - I have one on my 10 year old KX-TG8033AL system with three handsets.

The Telstra Modem supports an integrated digital DECT CATiq 2.0 cordless phone as its base station is inside the modem. The phone can operate without an externally wired base station or it can operate with your existing base station in parallel, in case you have an answering machine function that you wish to continue to use with your external base station. I have found the distance coverage quiet remarkable on the T-Voice 503 - 40 metres but your solid walls may shorten the distance. The current model is the TSH-C - $48.

Hi - I should have qualified my statement about a LAN switch and telephone transmission, as some people do use a LAN switch for connecting a VoIP Analog Terminal Adapter. This adapter encodes your Analog voice to Ethernet data packets for data transmission to another ISP, so when it is connected to their home network, they can continue to use their existing non-Telstra telephone number subscription service with their ISP/VoIP provider.

The ATA has an RJ45 port to connect to a LAN switch and an RJ11/12 port for connecting an analog telephone device. Unfortunately Telstra does not provide customers with the ability to use these ATA devices with Telstra telephone numbers on their own Residential Broadband/NBN offerings as the Telstra modem's Phone Port provides the function of an ATA. Telstra does offer the ability to use ATAs for their managed Business Broadband/NBN customers.

It is also possible to establish a more complex network configuration which introduces a third party router to replace the Telstra modem delegating it to the front of your house which may also do away with the need for a LAN switch. This requires some programming knowledge and is covered well in forum posts by @cf4  

Concept: 

NBN Modem ----Third Party Router + WiFi ----------long LAN cable----------Telstra Modem + WiFi---- external DECT Base Station.  The Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs on the Third Party Router can have the same respective names as the Telstra Modem or be left with their original vendor names.

Your Telstra phone service is still connected to the Telstra modem and will continue to work behind the Third Party Router; the SIP ALG function is usually Disabled in the Third Party Router.  The only inconvenience arises if you have an NBN fault in the future, you would need to disconnect the Third Party Router and reconnect the Telstra one in its place so that Telstra can diagnose the problem and take remedial action. 

Thank you so much to all who have answered, would you believe there is a glitch and the site will not let me reply to you individually, or even see your profiles - love Telstra!  I appreciate your thoughts, and I am leaning towards Mkrtich solution with getting another modem. Logically I can see how that would work.  Now I just need to work out which modem.... Thanks again for all your assistance!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit