Andy_and_Liz
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting a Chromebook to wi-fi

Answered

Hi,

I am having no end of trouble trying to connect my daughters chromebook to my homewife. It is on windows 10 and is fresh out of the box (Acer). For some reason anything "google" fails every time so her google classroom and related pages are failing. I have tried the school ICT section and an a geeks to you tech with no luck. I have a Telstra Air Gateway NBN modem that was supplied when we moved into the house and eventually got FTTN.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andy_and_Liz
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting a Chromebook to wi-fi

I appreciate all the feedback regarding my problem. I don't know what has happened but by some twist of magic the device is now working with the network as it should. When a user mentioned the error message I tried to refresh a school google doc and it worked. I opened one and it worked and allowed me to save it. It has never worked before now.  I haven't changed anything re the connection and the school ICT hasn't mentioned that they did anything. I will take the win for the moment and raise the issue if it comes up again.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

You should probably be trying to connect the Chromebook to the Telstra modem WiFi rather than the homewife.

Are other devices able to connect to the WiFi on the modem?. - such as a phone or computer.

Please provide the model number of the modem.

Lastly, do you happen to have an iPhone in the house?.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

is the home Wi-Fi, the Telstra modem Wi-Fi?

When you try to connect to the Wi-Fi, do you see the modem Wi-Fi network in the list of services?

Are you using the correct credentials to connect (maybe on a fridge magnet or on the bottom of the modem itself)?

Are all your other devices connected by Wi-Fi or cable?

Do those other devices on Wi-Fi use 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz?

Do you get any error messages?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

So, I just reread your post...  are you able to connect the Chromebook to the Wi-Fi, but you get no actual internet connection? i.e. you can't get to google, or any other page?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

@Andy_and_Liz wrote:

Hi,

I am having no end of trouble trying to connect my daughters chromebook to my homewife. It is on windows 10 and is fresh out of the box (Acer).

Is the chromebook a dual boot device  both Chrome and Windows 10? Or is it a Windows 10 PC with the chrome browser installed on it?

Andy_and_Liz

I am connecting to the Telstra modem wi-fi. There are multiple devices and they all work without any issues. The modem number is F@st55. I don't have an iPhone in the house as I am not part of that cult.

Andy_and_Liz

IT says the device is connected but when I try to open anything google it says I am not connected and fails.  That happens every single time. Sometimes other webpages work and sometimes they don't.

cf4

@Andy_and_Liz wrote:

IT says the device is connected but when I try to open anything google it says I am not connected and fails.  That happens every single time. Sometimes other webpages work and sometimes they don't.

This could be due to Telstra Broadband protect blocking those sites. You could try changing both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS on the Chromebook to google.

• For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.

Dowser

It could be the case that the Chromebook itself is blocking certain websites.

Have a read of the webpage about Managing Your Child’s Account on Chromebook.

Andy_and_Liz

I can connect the chromebook to the wi-fi and it says it's connected. I can't open anything with google in the character string. Other web pages open but not always.

Andy_and_Liz

This isn't one that we bought ourselves. It was supplied by my daughters high school and the system is controlled by the ACT education dept. I don't have any say or control as I do with her personal mobile.

Andy_and_Liz

@cf4 wrote:

@Andy_and_Liz wrote:

Hi,

I am having no end of trouble trying to connect my daughters chromebook to my homewife. It is on windows 10 and is fresh out of the box (Acer).

Is the chromebook a dual boot device  both Chrome and Windows 10? Or is it a Windows 10 PC with the chrome browser installed on it?

By andyandliz2:

I don't know what you mean by dual boot device. It is an ACT Education supplied chromebook that only accepts a student log-in and password.

Dowser

Set up a hotspot on your phone and connect the Chromebook to it & test if you experience the same problem.

If so, then the issue has nothing to do with the Telstra modem or its WiFi.

Andy_and_Liz
Accepted Solution

I appreciate all the feedback regarding my problem. I don't know what has happened but by some twist of magic the device is now working with the network as it should. When a user mentioned the error message I tried to refresh a school google doc and it worked. I opened one and it worked and allowed me to save it. It has never worked before now.  I haven't changed anything re the connection and the school ICT hasn't mentioned that they did anything. I will take the win for the moment and raise the issue if it comes up again.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit