iwanttoknow
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting NBN FTTC box to existing Telstra Cable Internet socket

We are moving across from existing Telstra Cable Internet to NBN FTTC service.  I'm received the NBN Connection Device, but it assumes you are connect to a phone socket (RJ12 I believe).  I don't have a phone socket where my existing Telstra Cable internet and Telstra Smart Model are placed (including foxtel).  I've been told by Telstra support that I need to get a Coaxial Cable to RJ12 converter to allow me to connect the NBN connection device to existing cable port.  That way I don't need a phone socket nearby.  

Does anyone know what this connector is and where I get it from?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Connecting NBN FTTC box to existing Telstra Cable Internet socket

There is no such thing as coaxial cable to RJ12 convertor. You will need a phone socket for the the FTTC connection box. Even if there was a physical coaxial cable to RJ12 convertor the FTTC DPU in the street is connected to your incoming phone line.

iwanttoknow

That is strange, because that is what someone from Telstra support told me.  They said I can connect via existing Telstra coaxial internet cable but just need a converter.  They didn't say where I can get this from.  Very frustrating.  If I previously had internet via cable, it sounds like it's going to be less optimal over telephone line.  Also, does that mean I need to pay someone to connect a telephone socket/port where I want the FTTC connector / Smart Modem?  I would have thought that should be part of the service.

cf4

Some of the overseas Telstra support staff are not very well trained and in my experience some seem to lack any basic technical training and are only trained to follow a script.

Unfortunately if you do require the telephone socket to be relocated you will have to pay some one to do this. 

iwanttoknow

Thanks and yes I agree. I think Telstra has the worst customer service. Am I also correct in assuming that if I current have Cable Internet, and it’s moving the FTTC, it will not be the same quality or speed?

cf4

The speed will depend on which plan you are on. There are four different speed tiers (12/1, 25/5, 50/20, 100/40). You might have to pay extra for the same download speed but for the same price your upload speed should bee faster. The quality of ghe connection will depend on the house cabling. I have been on FTTN for over 3 years which is inferior to FTTC and because I am over 750 meters from the node my speed is limited to 44 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up but the speed has been constant and I have not had any dropouts.

FTTC uses the same technology as FTTN but the DPU is close to the modem. One DPU serves 4 premises. The street cabling is much shorter so unless there is a cable fault in the street or the house there is no reason the speed that can be delivered by the connection should be less than 100/40. The actual speed will depend on which speed tier Telstra puts you on. 

Telstra is relocating its call centre staff back to Australia so hopefully the level off support might improve in the future.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit