AdelaideUser1
Level 2: Rookie

Connection Check has never worked. "Not all pings were answered or not connected"

This has always been the case. I've never bothered to pursue answers or a resolution for this (up until now) simply because nothing ever gets solved with telstra.. this is only one of many issues I have with my telstra nbn. The process of trying to get proper help from Telstra is so draining and fruitless that it leaves me not wanting to even bother trying. 

Anyway, this annoyed me enough today to at least post on CrowdSupport: the connection check (telstra smart modem advanced settings->Diagnostics->connection) has never ever worked. Doesn't matter what I change the iPv4 or IPV6 DNS addresses to, it has always failed like so: 

DSL Status
 Up
IP Version 4 Address
IP Version 6 Address
 2001:8003:f00:8203:ad11:4044:f9ff:7562
Next Hop Ping
 Success
First DNS Server Ping
 Not all pings were answered or not connected
Second DNS Server Ping
Next Hop Ping IPV6
First DNS Server IPV6 Ping
Second DNS Server IPV6 Ping

So.. why? What's the deal with my telstra nbn and DNS servers? One thing I've never fully grasped is how the DNS stuff works specifically on/with telstra. E.g: I can change my DNS addresses (under advanced settings->local network->lan interface->global information) but it'll still say my DNS servers are '61.9.226.33, 61.9.226.1' (under 'internet access->dhcp connection' in advanced settings). 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Connection Check has never worked. "Not all pings were answered or not connected"

The "Not all pings were answered or not connected" error is due to a bug in the DJA0231 firmware. There is no actual fault on the link. If you were to replace the DJA0231 with the LH1000 on the same link you would get the following results.

Restart
 Interface Enabled
 Link Up
 58.1xx.xx.xx
 2001:8003:f00:8203:xxxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxxx
 Success
 Success
 Success

I don't know which firmware version caused this bug but the incorrect results have been occurring for some time. 

When you change the DNS in the local network settings it changes the DNS address set by the modem's DHCP server in the devices connected to the modem. Usually by default this is set to the modem's local IP address and request by a device for a URL's IP address are sent to the modem which then sends the request to the DNS servers that you see in the modem's Advanced > Internet Settings.

When a custom DNS is used the devices instead of sending the request to the modem sends it via the modem directly to the DNS IP address set in the modem's Advanced > Local network settings.

Example

IPv4 Non custom DNS.

Device DNS request ----------------192.168.0.1-----------------61.9.226.33

IPv4 custom IPv4 address 8.8.8.8

Device DNS request--------------8.8.8.8

When setting custom IPv4 address it is important to set both an IPv4 and an IPv6. If an IPv4 custom DNS is used most device will still use the Telstra DNS.
Ericomalley
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Connection Check has never worked. "Not all pings were answered or not connected"

These are not firmware bugs they mean the Ip address your trying to ping is not available due to number of things this list below is just the start of your research into the problem but 90 percent of the time its Ip Provider side of the fence do not panic. just reboot your modem and try again.

List of possible issue causing pings not to register:

Everything below means you just have to wait until they are address nothing you can do accept report your having technical issue to your ISP provider.

1. One or more servers have received updates and are in need of restarting for client computer to be granted a handshake acknowledgement to gain access to the DNS server and DHCP servers of the ISP (internet Service Provider) provider (alias Telstra).
  2. Company under taking system maintenance
  3. Internet Junctions that you loop through are down. 
  4. Exchange your connected too has issues or undergoing maintenance.
  5. Junction box issues.
  6. Lines are down some one between ISP and the Exchange you route through for internet connections

Other issue that are likely to be on your side of the fence:

1. Modem need to be restarted after receiving update because the certificates are not being recognized between the modem and the ISP provider( Alias Telstra).
  2. Your computer has received updates that caused connection issue restart computer.
  3. If problem persist 
  4. Rule out your computer as the issue.
  5. By try connecting another computer or mobile phone to your modem and see if you get same results
  6. if you do get same results on different device then the issue is not your end its the ISP provider side of the fence.
  7. If connecting a different device to the modem works then you need to check your computers network settings particularly Network hardware properties under Device manager to see if it says more installing required or missing dll file if you get any of these issues.
  8. your anti-virus is turn off for this part (temporary turn it off manually turn it back on once you have everything work properly)
  9. Then try uninstalling the the drivers follow by restarting the computer to allow it to reinstalling them drivers it finds check step 15 for issue under device manager with your network hardware settings.
  10. if no more problems shown with network card or wireless Wi- Fi your using then recheck to see if you can browse.
  11. if unable then try setting the ip address to statice ip on the network card or Wireless Wi-Fi then reboot the computer and wait 5 minutes then reset the network back to (obtain the ip address automatically).
  12. then recheck to see if you can access the internet and browse.
  13. If not you have issue with your network features causing bad client certificate or registry network error which means you real problem that could mean you need a new network card. 
Overall thousand things could be causing the problem but unlikely to be a firmware bugs which lot of people blame, and lot of Internet services providers wont tell you they under going maintenance some are clueless to the fact they should check to see if there is maintenance being undertaken via their field technicians and or by the Network manager of the system.

cf4

It is a firmware bug. 

Every time I connect my DJA0231 to my NBN connection it displays the following.

Next Hop Ping
 Success
First DNS Server Ping
Second DNS Server Ping
Next Hop Ping IPV6
First DNS Server IPV6 Ping
Second DNS Server IPV6 Ping

Every time LH100 is connected to same connection get the following result.

Success
 Success
 Success

No matter how many time DJA0231 is rebooted it displays the same incorrect results.

See image below of comparison of connection check on same link.

Comparison between LH1000 and DJA0231 Connection Check.
Jupiter

In this case, it is actually a known firmware bug.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit