Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Colville
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Connection fails every night at the same time

I have had Telstra contact me so they can have a tech remote to my modem to take a closer look.

They PM'd me for the serial number, when I tried to reply I got a big red banner at the top telling me i'd exceeded my allowable messages and try again later.

LOL too funny, I have never PM'd anyone before!

Will try again tomorrow to give the serial number and if it resolves will report back findings.

The interesting thing for me is the 2:14 am slot has gone away and it is now inconsistent if it drops or not....

Thanks all and hope we all have a win!

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Thie message "exceeded my allowable messages and try again later" is due to a fault with the crowd support. private Messaging system. Sometimes if you try a few minutes later you will be able to send a message.

Gash
Level 1: Cadet

Having the same problem I Point Cook, Vic the last week or so, 6.05am

15.12.2020 05:50:43 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:5B:6D)Smiley FrustratedTA(94:94:26:4D:21:75) connected.
15.12.2020 05:51:51 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:5B:6D)Smiley FrustratedTA(94:94:26:4D:21:75) disconnected.
15.12.2020 06:05:28 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:5B:6D)Smiley FrustratedTA(94:94:26:4D:21:75) connected.
15.12.2020 06:05:46 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:06:32 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:5B:6D)Smiley FrustratedTA(94:94:26:4D:21:75) disconnected.
15.12.2020 06:07:26 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:09:06 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:09:52 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:5B:6D)Smiley FrustratedTA(FA:60:F2:EC:76:93) disconnected.
15.12.2020 06:10:47 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:12:27 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:14:07 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:15:47 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
15.12.2020 06:17:27 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.

Colville

you're right, it worked :-)

Thank you

iKwyji

Hi all

Just a quick update form my side, since getting rid of the telstra modem and using my old DLink-DSL-4320L i havent had one problem. waking up to connection every morning and i checked the modem and there have been no dropouts either.

My best guess is this is a problem with the modem, specifically with ADSL connections. Probably firmware. Like i said my best guess but wanted to update the thread from my end.

I've given up on the telstra 'support' app. Every time i type a new message i get a new tech who doesnt even seem to read the previous messages, asks me to restart the modem, then asks if i have connection (which of course i do) but then cant seem to understand that the problem only occurs at 4 am etc etc. blah blah i give up.

I tried once to ring them but was on hold for over an hour and gave up. Glad i did, ive read some horror stories on here about people being on hold for hours and hours.

Maybe the fix is buy a new modem and request a refund to the value of the new modem on your next bill! Smiley Tongue

Bunnikins

I have the exact same issue on my ASUS DSL-AC56U. Since last 2 weeks or so I have been walking up to no Internet. The original setting was Automatic IP/1483 Bridged IP VC-Mux with no user name/password saved on the modem/Router. I changed the settings to PPPoE/LLC while saving the username/password on the modem and to my surprise woke up with the Internet connected. This effect is like changing the modem I guess. Will continue to monitor in the coming days. Looks like some update of settings/software on Telstra’s DSLAM end has stuffed it up.

Kim7911

Hi Guys,

Just came across your post, I'm having the exact same issue started this week on 14 December.  Every night wifi drops out (not sure what time), and every morning I have to reset the router.  I've been doing that every day since monday.

My logs are saying 7am its failing, but it feels like its earlier than that.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - thanks for contributing to this puzzle. I had the impression that previous posts here had ADSL/ADSL2 - are you on ADSL or NBN FTTN VDSL2? 

An ADSL service usually requires User ID and Password to function with PPPoE, so it appears your service is currently in ADSL mode. If you are on Telstra NBN, you do not need User ID and Password. Is your ASUS modem set to Bridge mode to another router? I would have thought a Routed IP VC-Mux (PPPoE/LLC) setting would work for ADSL instead of a Bridge IPVS-Mux or Bridged IP LLC setting if the ASUS was your only router. I don't know as I missed the ADSL era - went from dial-up modem to HFC Cable. 

Your comment on changes to the DSLAM could have some foundation - it reminded me of an early forum post from last year for FTTN applicants.  If you are currently not on NBN, perhaps Telstra and NBN are doing some background prepatory work on making a future conversion to NBN FTTN in your area. Somewhere in past readings, I recall people who applied to convert to NBN could maintain their Telstra Smart Modem connected to ADSL and have both ADSL and FTTN set up parallel in the network awaiting for formal a Telstra FTTN conversion appointment notice sent to the customer. On the day of conversion, the modem setting would only require removal of the User ID and Password or those details would be auto removed on a Factory Reset. 

iKwyji

Will be news to me, we are ‘rural’ Gold Coast hinterland and our nbn option is their terrible satellite service. It’s why I am stuck with Telstra, if I go to iiNet for example they put me on nbn satellite. 

Mkrtich

Yes understood. My comments were in relation to NBN FTTN serviced areas only. It is acknowledged by the ACMA, that for regional and rural customers who are located in NBN Fixed Wireless and NBN Satellite coverage areas that they can keep their existing ADSL and telephone line services in operation as a separate service or their only service. There is no obligation to convert to an NBN service.

Is there a 4G Cellular Base Station located near to you which may be viable for a Mobile Broadband Modem with an external antennae arrangement? I have read recently where Ericsson is rolling out new updates to Telstra's 4GX network which may in some areas double the coverage areas which may make it more attractive than NBN FW and SAT services for some customers. There are also global developments with Low Earth Orbit Satellite Systems which, if they come to fruition in the next five years, will change the Satellite delivery mechanisms and options for many isolated global communities and customers. YouTube has some interesting clips if you are interested.  

iKwyji

Inside the house we never had any signal but since I got the new iPhone 12 I’m getting 2-3 bars of 3G and the odd 1 bar 4g. It’s not practical usable signal strength but better than a year ago when it just said sos. There is nbn fttn in our estate but it stops at the bottom of our street (about 200m down the hill from us) as it’s too far from the node after that. Maybe one day they put fttc hopefully but worst case I think if I got a booster antenna attached to the house id get good 4g signal. That compared to adsl speed is pretty good tbh

giscal
Level 2: Rookie

not much of an update apart from the fact that the modem dropped out again at 5:14am.

Unable to communicate with Telstra thru their app as they send message when I am not available (like many people I don't have the time to sit around all day and wait for a response)  so I respond later and then wait a few hours and get a response followed by my response. On the app I provided my number and suggested that they call me

I tried to call them yesterday and was diverted straight to message app.

If I have no luck tomorrow I will lodge a complaint to try and get some progress.

dbeyat45
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have just complained:

My ADSL service has dropped out in the early mornings for the past few days. and I contacted telstra.com.au/support and had an online interaction with Sandhya. I have no problem with Sandhya; my complaint is about your support system.
I spent over two hours on the mobile for a solution that could have been achieved in a five to ten minute phone call. "Disconnect cables. reconnect cables, reboot the modem".

Desired outcome:

1. In addition to your 'chat' facility, allow voice contact to resolve problems.
2. My Telstra Smart Modem 2.0 ADSL modem has a SIM card which should connect to a tower when the landline is down. Why is that not happening when "Unable to sync time with time server" appears in the modem log?
Hope you can help .... thanks.

From Telstra:

Your complaint has been received.
Thank you for contacting us.

Don1
Mkrtich

Hi - In some locations 4G Broadband Modem with LAN ports with External Antennae connectors or a Cellular Stationary or Mobile Repeater are a viable alternative to NBN subject to the Data Allowance included in the plan. In case of interest, this site will show you where your local cell tower is located and what frequencies are being used.

https://www.rfnsa.com.au/?first=1 

Lower frequencies provide greater distance coverage with slower speeds, higher frequencies can provide surprisingly high speeds but have smaller coverage capability. Based on experiences and subject to local cell line of sight, capacity and occupancy, it would not be unusual for locations under 500 metres to provide near to equivalent NBN 25-100 Mbps download speeds. 

You may get a sense of your location capabilities by using your iPhone or other Smart Phone as as Personal Hotspot for tests. 

Bunnikins

I am definitely on Telstra ADSL 2+ and no nbn in my building yet. The technology for my area will be HFC. The ASUS router is the only device I use which has the ADSL modem built in beside the Wifi gateway. Attached are the original settings I was using.Original SettingsOriginal Settings

Mkrtich

Hi - thanks for posting the screens. Mystery continues suggesting the problem is not only impacting Arcadyan LH:1000 modems on ADSL implying a local Telstra ADSL Network issue at play as well. For general interest, I will do some more research on ADSL Network settings. Cheers

dbeyat45

Breaking news .... maybe ....

My modem:  LH1000,  Boot Version 1.0.38-116.118,  Firmware Version 0.12.15r,  Hardware Version 01

I have a 3Gb Western Digital NAS attached to an ethernet port;;  it has an assigned ''assigned" IP address, 192.168.0.6 and a lease time of 1440 minutes (24 hours).  From the log:

18.12.2020 04:14:02 DHCPv4 - trigger renew on nas0
18.12.2020 04:14:02 DHCPv4: WAN0 RENEW NACK
18.12.2020 04:37:53 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
18.12.2020 04:39:33 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
18.12.2020 04:41:13 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.
18.12.2020 04:42:54 NTP: Unable to sync time with time server.

I have looked back to 7th December in the modem log and I found a 'trigger renew' event at 4:13am before each 'unable to sync' event.    Each of the 'unable to sync' events is followed by entries indicating that I have rebooted.  

Incidentally, when the dropout occurs, connection to the modem via http://192.168.0.1 is possible but the interface varies between treacle slow and unusable.

I've increased the lease time to 2440 minutes and will wait, watch & report back.

Don1
Mkrtich

Hi - Would assigning your NAS a Static IP address in the Arcadyan overcome the potential lease expiry or was the NAS programmed as a Static IP address on 192.168.0.6 already.  

dbeyat45

Don1
cf4

The events

18.12.2020 04:14:02 DHCPv4 - trigger renew on nas0

are symptoms of the fault and not the cause. The events just before these events indicate the link is down and the modem has requested a renewal of the lease from server. 

18.12.2020 04:14:02 DHCPv4 - trigger renew on nas0

The next event should be 
18.12.2020 04:14:02 DHCPv4: WAN0 RENEW ACK

not

The lease time in modem's settings is for devices on the local network and does not control the lease time on the WAN.

Mkrtich

Smiley Happy That makes two of us!  Cheers

giscal

Latest Update...not good news.

After spending 3-4 hours a day last week and over the weekend trying to get support to understand problem before I went insane doing the same thing with a different person each day, ie. disconnect all leads, turn modem off for 2 minutes and turn back on and reconnect. Finally late on Saturday night they offered an alternative and changed the login password for the modem. This worked for the next 2 days, but again this morning the same fault has occurred at 5:14 am AEDST and so back to square one.

I also lodged a complaint last week about the woeful way that support is being handled via the messaging service... Let's hope they listen and change it.

Has anyone else had any luck solving the problem or is it still occurring ?

dbeyat45

I solved **MY** problem, not **THE** problem with one word:

ESCALATE

I asked that the problem be escalated to a supervisor who could take charge of my call and see it thru to fruition.

On Friday, I had a call from a person who identified herself as 'Angel'.  She sent a technician around the next morning with a new modem.  With that connected, he went to the nearby exchange and checked the socket in the data cabinet.

This is no help in understanding the same-time-every-day problem but I appear to be fixed.

ESCALATE

Don1
Kim7911

thanks for the feedback, i've just attempted to escalate myself.  Will see what happens.  I'm currently spending 3-4 hours each day on chat only to start again the next day, that has been the same since the 14 December for me, I'm based in Sydney.  Beyond frustrating.  Its like some support team has released a patch or config change on the Modem software....

@dbeyat45 wrote:

I solved **MY** problem, not **THE** problem with one word:

ESCALATE

I asked that the problem be escalated to a supervisor who could take charge of my call and see it thru to fruition.

On Friday, I had a call from a person who identified herself as 'Angel'.  She sent a technician around the next morning with a new modem.  With that connected, he went to the nearby exchange and checked the socket in the data cabinet.

This is no help in understanding the same-time-every-day problem but I appear to be fixed.

ESCALATE

dbeyat45

FWIW, the technician's call out fee of $135 was credited.

Don1
Greyhound_76

I’m also having problems I think mine is around 3-4 am I’m in the Gold Coast hinterland I have no choice but satellite but I am high on a hill in cloud so it won’t work .  
I am on my 3rd modem 

17th line test 

hard reset sssssss

escalated and she is now on holidays 

what the hell can we do ? 

cf4

Are all modems the same model (LH1000)

dbeyat45

Mine was an LH1000. 

The (identical looking) replacement is a DJA0231. 

The management software is completely different as are the log files.

Old:

OldNew

Don1
giscal

As suggested I used the words ESCALATE and complaint in my messaging after once again todays' messenger helper going down the same track.. Do you have a dial tone ?........

The approach changed and the consultant has arranged for a technician to visit tomorrow and I asked that he bring a modem other than the Arcadyan LH1000.

Will update with outcome

Greyhound_76

Has anyone just bought an alternative modem and it resolved it?

dbeyat45

During one of my 'chats' that was suggested to me.  I rejected it.

Don1
Fix_It_Dad

Am I glad I found you guys - I'm going nuts here!!

I'm in Melbourne, VIC and running an LH1000.  ADSL2 connection. I have had this problem for weeks now.  First chat resulted in 2 hours of frustration and all we achieved is that all lights were green. 🤬  Second chat on Boxing Day was better, with tests being conducted and an "authentication problem" being the culprit.  That worked for 2 days and then this morning, no freekin' internet - another 🤬.  This morning I just re-saved the "PPP Credential Setting" instead of restarting the modem and she came back up.

Modem:

Log from today:

29.12.2020 03:15:01 check Log size /tmp/dhcp_log.txt
29.12.2020 03:15:01 check Log size /tmp/dhcp_log.txt
29.12.2020 03:16:01 check Log size /tmp/lib-arc-cfg.errlog
29.12.2020 03:16:01 check Log size /tmp/lib-arc-cfg.errlog
29.12.2020 03:40:41 NTP: Sync time with time server.
29.12.2020 04:40:42 NTP: Sync time with time server.
29.12.2020 05:13:46 WAN: nas0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
29.12.2020 05:13:51 WAN: nas0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 1
29.12.2020 05:14:16 WAN: nas0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 2
29.12.2020 05:14:22 WAN: nas0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 2
29.12.2020 05:14:46 WAN: nas0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 3
29.12.2020 05:14:52 WAN: nas0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 3
29.12.2020 05:15:16 WAN: nas0 BFDv6 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 4
29.12.2020 05:15:22 WAN: nas0 BFDv4 Supervision fails once. Fail Count = 4

Being a "Dad" with limited IT skills, go easy on me here.  Should I just contact Telstra @cf4 and complain (as per a post from you earlier) or wait out the next firmware update?

✌️

AmberSC
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Fix_It_Dad, it sounds like this is something our internet faults team will need to investigate for you further. If there are no listed outages here:  https://tel.st/j82w4 then this fault will need to be investigated further. You can get in contact with us over the Telstra app by clicking 'get help' and answering a few questions before you're connected through to a consultant. 

If this fault persists we may need to raise an escalation ticket for you, be sure to request a reference number over the app if this is the case. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

iKwyji

Here is something interesting i stumbled across with my modem.

I swapped out my Telstra supplied modem (same one as everyone else thats been having the problems with a D-Link DSL-4320L. Since i did that...NO problems with connection each morning...but heres the thing, 2 days ago, i was mucking with the modem and when i restarted the modem it had set the connection type to Dynamic IP (DHCP), one of the options under the internet settings in the modem. Prior to this, it had been set as a PPPoA/VCMux connection type. I had internet so thought nothing of it and left it alone. The next morning, woke up with the no internet problem again and sure enough it had lost connection at 4:12 AM QLD time.

I went back into the modem, changed it back to a PPPoA/VCMux connection type and bingo, no drop out in the morning again. I checked the modem just now and connection uptime has been 1day, 1 hour, 22 minutes so it definitely has not lost connection since i changed it.

Maybe this is the problem with the telstra modems, and other modems that are having issues? I am not sure as i dont have the telstra modem installed anymore to have a look at the settings....but maybe the connection type needs to be set to PPPoA/VCMux if thats possible to do in those modems?

In any case i can report that using a D-Link DSL-4320L with the internet connection type set as PPPoA/VCMux has solved the problem for me.

Here are the BYO modem settings i found on the internet for Bigpond ADSL.  I am using these in my modem.

"ADSL Username
username@bigpond.com

Password
your password

Encapsulation
PPPoA VCMUX
PPPOE/LLC NOTE: We recommend using PPPoA/VC Mux as it tends to be (theoretically) a little faster for customers though both should work fine

Authentication method
CHAP
ADSL1: G.DMT (This modulation will only allow speeds up to 8Mb/s
ADSL2+: Select ADSL2+ or Auto

VPI (Virtual path identifier)

VCI (Virtual channel identifier)
35"

cf4

I suggest you lodge a complaint. This problem has been occurring for over a month. By now I would have thought that Telstra would have located what was causing the problem and had developed a fix. If more people complain this will put more pressure on Telstra to fix the problem..

dbeyat45

It's hard to get action;  I have mentioned this thread numerous times during my dealings, told them it wasn't 'just me' but it's difficult to get the support people out of their set routines.  Pity ..... Smiley Sad

Don1
cf4

Unfortunately the Internet connection type can't be changed in the Telstra modem's as it is all automatic, but your observation might provide a clue as to what may be causing the problem.

Fix_It_Dad

Hi @AmberSC .  I did that already (ref: INC12658075).  I think I will wait until morning and if it bugs out again, I will follow the advice of the Supreme Being @cf4  and lodge a complaint.  Home security and all of the usual things which connect via the modem dropping out are being affected and that's not what I pay Telstra for.

Of interest, the 4G doesn't kick in either.

Thanks for your response though 😀👍

Fix_It_Dad

Thank you for that advice @cf4 .  Down again this morning, same bat time, same bat channel.

Onto complaints now.  Shouldn't take too long 😜.

Fix_It_Dad

OK people, complaint (04923457) lodged.  I will post the result in this thread for others who are affected 👍

Fix_It_Dad

Update: 2 days of uninterrupted internet.  Same firmware version.  The mystery continues....

Greyhound_76

Hi I had a technician come to my home found faults in the lines even though I’ve had my line tested about 15 times just before Christmas.  We changed some settings on my modem still dropped out.  He dropped off a technicolor modem so far 3 days I have woken up 

with internet .  Crossing fingers 

Fix_It_Dad

A couple of years ago, I was having major internet issues and the first tech said that all was well after he fixed the lines at the exchange.  The next technician found more problems and said that Telstra weren't putting money into the old infrastructure, as the NBN was coming.  That sounded plausible.

Fix_It_Dad

@Fix_It_Dad wrote:

Update: 2 days of uninterrupted internet.  Same firmware version.  The mystery continues....

Ok, so we're back at no internet again 😡.  No more mystery, just misery.

Will await the outcome of the complaint and then let you know.

ClarkinPerth

Sadly I am also getting this issue and have been for around a month now.  It is quite inconvenient as I like to read the news in bed on Sunday mornings with my tablet, and cannot without getting out of bed to reset the router.

Just wondering, has anyone come up with a resolution (other than buying a new modem)?

Happy 2021 to all

Greyhound_76

Since I have had the new modem technicolor brand Telstra supplied free.  I have not had any issues now .  

Colville

Hi ClarkinPerth

Mine has stopped do it every night but is still doing it 2/3 times a week.

I have been trying to work out why but so far haven't been able to establish a link from my end anyway.

I noticed I have a lot of connect / disconnect logs (like every min) from a old tablet on 2.4g, if I turn this ok it seems to not do it? can't say for sure, it's just something I seem to be noticing.

for example, my logs are spammed with this from an old samsung tablet

09.01.2021 16:43:23 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:3F:E8)Smiley FrustratedTA(04Smiley Very Happy3:B0:3A:CE:92) connected.
09.01.2021 16:43:31 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:3F:E8)Smiley FrustratedTA(04Smiley Very Happy3:B0:3A:CE:92) disconnected.
09.01.2021 16:47:39 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[2.4G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:3F:E9)Smiley FrustratedTA(38:2D:E8:C1:F9:F4) disconnected.
09.01.2021 16:47:39 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[2.4G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:3F:E9)Smiley FrustratedTA(38:2D:E8:C1:F9:F4) connected.
09.01.2021 17:13:59 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[2.4G](BC:30Smiley Very Happy9:CF:3F:E9)Smiley FrustratedTA(60:F8:1D:A0:46:37) connected.

Tech support we apparently going to look into this for me but I haven't heard anything back from as yet and it has been plenty of weeks now.....

I replied mainly to let you know instead of resetting the router, drop the 'm' of the .com on your username and put it back and save. this triggers the reconnection in 10 seconds or so, not the 3/4 mins a reboot takes.

cf4

Constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to WiFi is one of the faults that can occur on devices that don't support Protected Management Frames (Wi-Fi PMF). Protected Management Frames was added to modem in a recent firmware update. They can be turned off in modem's WiFi settings.
ClarkinPerth

Thanks for the update guys

I disconnected my modem from literally everything and it still drops connection each night in the early hours of the morning.  So it is definitely an issue with the modem and/or adsl infrastructure and nothing to do with wireless or the home network.

I will touch base with Telstra support and see if they can send me a replacement modem of a different type/brand.  

Barring that a timer on the power point might be a solution! (but  not one that I will be happy with).

giscal

Since replacing the modem with a technicolor brand modem on 24/12/202 there have been no more drop outs at the same time and modem is functioning well.

I can only conclude that there is a problem with the Arcadyan LH1000 modem, noting I am on ADSL only.

The issue I had was getting the online telstra support including complaints to address the issue and by the sound of it they have not.

To any of you still having problems, insist on Telstra replacing the modem with the technicolor brand.

Good Luck to all Smiley Happy 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit