DinkyKing
Level 2: Rookie

Connection issues with other Telstra users in my area

For quite a while now me and my friends that live in that are connected through telstra just like me in my area have been having issues connecting to each other, mainly over PS4. I think "issue" is a bit of an understatement, we litteraly cannot speak to each other in PS4 party chats without having someone else who is not connected through telstra in the party, we cannot join each others games even if other players are in them and once a while ago I made a minecraft server which ny friends connected to Telstra could not join... I think you get the jist of it.

As stated above for some reason me and my friends in my area (around 1km apart give or take) connected to the internet through telstra cannot play/connect with each other mainly on PS4, although there have been some cases of this issue on other platforms aswell. The same problem is happening to two of my other friends who live close to each other but further away than me (me and my friends in my area can connect to them though). They both cant speak with each other in Partys without having a non-telstra user as what I like to call an "anchor" and they cant join each others game and in the rare case that they do eventually get into the same game as the other, one will quikcly "dissconnect". This cant be a one of thing, becuase its happening to all my friends that are connnected to Telstra and are living close toghether. This is extremely frustrating as you could guess, because pretty much all interations that we want to have with each other are out of the equation.

The main errors we get are "Could not speak with other player, possible due to NAT Type issues" when we are in a party, even though we all have NAT Type 2 (I have tried to open my NAT Type on PS4, forworded every single PSN port, made a static IP and set it as a DMZ host yet it still displays "NAT Type 2" when I test my internet connection on my PS4), and when trying to connnect to others in games it either just glitches out or we get an error like "Player is no longer in this session" or "Connection failed", "Error connecting" e.c.t.

I would highly appreciate if someone could tell me what the cause of this could be or any possible solutions/when Telstra is going to fix this, as it would actually be nice to pay for an (expensive) network that actuallly allows me to connect to my friends...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy-Lo
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Connection issues with other Telstra users in my area

Hi @DinkyKing

Have you tried opening the ports on your Telstra modem to see if that helps the connectivity.

Often these issues occur because multiple parties are connected to the same port on the modem.

If you search "port forwarding" in crowd support there are multiple articles which have assisted with this in the past.

Please let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DinkyKing
Level 2: Rookie

@Jimmy-Lo, I have searched up port forwarding on telstra crowd support but none I have seen so far have explained how to open your modems ports. I am familiar with how portforwarding works as I have done it multiple times and infact opened up every single Playstation Network port, but I dont quite understand what you mean by my modems ports. By the way I am connected through a router and not a modem. How do I find out what my routers start port and end port is?

Jimmy-Lo
Support Team
Support Team

@DinkyKing Regrettably I do not have the expertise to assist you with your modem port options.

I am however a PS4 user and am quite sure that there are many threads from Playstation from users who have the same issue.

I am not able to link you to the specific Playstation pages as they are not endorsed by Telstra specifically however I am confident that the answer can be located on the Sony forums.

Please let me know if you have any luck.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit