SkiNail
Level 1: Cadet

Connection quality issues

Hi,

I've been experiencing broadband speed issues and can not resolve it. The issues present as a variable download speed that spikes and drops repeatedly. I often don't notice when streaming but it manifests when having video meetings (I work from home) or playing games (packet loss). I'm hoping for recommendations and advice on what to try. Below is some history and details to my situation:

-I am on a 50 Mbps plan

-I typically average a ping of 12, and down/up speeds of 40 and 14 Mbps.

-when doing speed tests, the graph is very volatile at the start, but averages out during the test to the values listed above.

-when playing games, speed tests report good values (as above) but gameplay is terrible. It often starts ok during a session but deteriorates to an unplayable state. This might be due to entering peak periods during gameplay.

-i am playing on wifi and report great wifi signal at my PC location. I have also tested via ethernet with the same, poor, results.

-i have turned off all other devices in the house and applications on the pc and got the same results.

-i have experienced overnight dropouts (as reported by smart devices that give notifications of the devices being offline)

-i have been in touch with Telstra 4 times who have monitored my line, identified drop outs, implemented remote repairs, sent me a new smart modem and added "stability".

I am still experiencing the issues with poor stability. Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do to improve the quality of my connection? I've tried everything I am familiar with. TIA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
OllieW
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Connection quality issues

Hi SkiNail, let's see what we can find.

Just confirming a couple of things, are you connected via the nbn or ADSL? Have you checked out our outages page for any updates: https://tel.st/3kv74 ?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Connection quality issues

@OllieW it's not going to be an ADSL connection with a speed of 40Mbps. ADSL 2+ has a 24Mbps maximum speed.

@SkiNail speed tests will always show volatility in the first few seconds as it needs to establish a connection to the server and commence the downloading of data (not an instantaneous event).

Download pingplotter and run a test over a period of time to your game server and post it here so that we can have a look at what your connection is doing. Otherwise it's just pure guesswork and speculation. It could be your connection, or it could be an issue at the Game Server end or anywhere in between.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit