Darryl47
Level 3: Gumshoe

connection wireless internet to samsung smart tv

Answered

I have a PS51D550C1M TV and have purchased a Wireless LAN Adapter WIS12ABGNX (recommended because the original adapter has been superseded. I can connect to my LAN and enter my Security number but I cannot appear to be able to get onto the internet. Can you help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darryl47
Accepted Solution

Re: connection wireless internet to samsung smart tv

Jeff
many thanks for your assistance. I have connected to the home network and the internet. My TV does not have a @Internet button on the remote so I am still following up how to bring up Samsung Apps. I have been able to upgrade my TV software.
However this is not a problem for this forum. Again thank you for your assistance
Darryl

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Hi Darryl, Samsung TV Internet connections have a very bad reputation I'm afraid.

So Ffrst things first, unplug the Samsung Wireless LAN adapter and turn the TV off and then back on.

Now on your wireless modem/router, setup wireless access to use WPA2-PSK and set a passphrase that you will remember.

Then back on the TV, plug the Samsung Wireless LAN adapter into the correct USB port.

Once plugged in, you will get a pop-up message asking you if you want to use wireless network – choose yes

Now on the tv, press the menu button on your tv remote, go into "network" section and choose "network settings"

Choose "auto" as the connection method and "wireless" as the connection type

Your TV should againl search for all available wireless networks – select the SSID you set in your wireless modem/router and when prompted, enter the passphrase you set.

It should auto connect for you – but if it doesn't, it is possible that your TV just needs to be turned off and back on for the settings be be set properly.

Turn the tv off and back on, press the menu button on your tv remote, go into "network" section and choose "network status" and check if it is now connected.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Darryl47

How do i 'So Ffrst things first, unplug the Samsung Wireless LAN adapter and turn the TV off and then back on.

Now on your wireless modem/router, setup wireless access to use WPA2-PSK and set a passphrase that you will remember.;
Darryl47

I only meant this part -
Now on your wireless modem/router, setup wireless access to use WPA2-PSK and set a passphrase that you will remember.;
DEANJA

What Modem Router do your have?

You need to go into the home page via the web for the Modem Router and in the settings check that your wireless security settings are set to WPA2-PSK .

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Darryl47

I have a Thomson gateway.
When I enter http://10.0.0.1 the page just expires
DEANJA

Try   192.168.1.254

Signature.gif

Darryl47

Thank you that worked and I can see the MAC address of the TV. However where do I see the WPA2-PSK setting, I think I have looked everwhere.
Darryl47

Sorry found it and it is set to WPA/PSK.
DEANJA

From memory once into the settings etc, via the homepage, you click on Home Network. that should open a page that shows your wireless network name and below the ethernet connection. You click under wireless the wording like WLAN: MyWireless etc.

That will then open another window for wireless Access Point and the name of your wireless netowrk, top right of page in Overview/Details and Configure, click configure.

Signature.gif

Darryl47

Many thanks Jeff - the household has come home to eat so I will have to leave and try your suggestion Tomorrow.
Darryl47

The configuration is set to WPA+WPA2, Should I change it to only WPA2 - would this possibly effect any other devices on the network?
Darryl47

When i now look at the network status it says i am connected to the internet. Also the TV is present in the Network display on my PC. Now how do i get a sreen up on my TV to use the internet. The TV is telling me to enter a PIN Code in my Wireless Router. How do I do this?
DEANJA

The pin code as they call it, should be your WiFi access password for your Modem/Router, the same as you would use for connecting a laptop or mobile phone via WiFi.

If you haven't set a unique password/code, then it is the one that came with the modem/router, normally on a sticker on the bottom of them.

Signature.gif

Darryl47

I have entered this and it says I am connected to the internet. However when I go to the source button and click on Network it says Request cannot be completed - Media player will return to main menu.
Darryl47

Have to go and put feed into our aviaries and chookpens, will resume tomorrow.
Darryl47
Accepted Solution

Jeff
many thanks for your assistance. I have connected to the home network and the internet. My TV does not have a @Internet button on the remote so I am still following up how to bring up Samsung Apps. I have been able to upgrade my TV software.
However this is not a problem for this forum. Again thank you for your assistance
Darryl

View solution in original post

Darryl47

How do I give you 'kudos'?
DEANJA

Hi Daryl, glad to hear we are making progress here. I think one of the problems cvould be that this is an older TV now, they change very very quickly and so does the way various devices interact.

Keep us up to date on how you go.

As far as the kudos goes, thankyou if you click the star on the blue background on my posts, it would be much appreciated. as per pic below.

Signature.gif

Kudos.jpg

S-man
Level 1: Cadet

I have had the connection previously but now can't re-establish a connection. I get knocked out at entering the password/access code.

IQ1

I want to connect my Samsung HDMI smart tv to my Telstra  Bigpond wireless modem .   Can anybody suggest  how best to achieve this and if so what equipment is required .  From 1Q1

Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi IQ2

Does your particular Smart TV WiFi enabled? Or does it use an Ethernet port to provide Internet access?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mercruisa

I am having the same problem. My Samsung TV gives me a PIN and wants me to enter it into my router - a Sagecom F@ST 5355. Anyone know how I do this?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have you tried manually configuring your Wi-Fi security keys into the Samsung Smart TV network settings? 

Alternatively, activate WPS within the modems interface (http://telstra.gateway) under Wi-Fi . 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit