Alex_Mentone
Level 1: Cadet

Consideration for an old ex-PMG worker who received bad advice

This morning, I went to help a 91-year old bloke with his internet connection.  He has a Telstra 4G broadband dongle plugged in to his laptop and needed me to walk him through the login process again, so he could access his email, watch Artie Shaw on Youtube and google stuff.

I also think he is happy to have some company too!

I needed to log into his Telstra account to check his usage and was horrified to find his Jan bill was $458 which included an activation fee for an ADSL service and an early termination fee for cancelling the ADSL..

I asked him about this and it turns out he went to the Telstra shop in Southland for assistance with his USB dongle as it wasn't working.  (It was actually limited because he'd used up his usage for the month).

Remember - this guy is 91.  Technology savvy? Not.

So the Telstra shop gave him some poor advice that he really didn't understand.  He told me that a Telstra tech was going to come and install a box to make his internet work. 

What the Telstra shop actually did was sign him up for a 2 year ADSL service and told him that a tech would come out and connect it up for him - despite knowing that he was going to move shortly into a high-care residential facility.

He cancelled his landline to move into the new facility (been there just two weeks) and was hit with this early termination fee.

Can someone in Telstra assist?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Consideration for an old ex-PMG worker who received bad advice

Hi Alex, that's not a very pleasent story. I'm not a Telstra employee, but I know the telstra guys behind the scene and know that they'll help out here.

What I'm doing is flagging this to them, so that the right person and assistance can be forth coming.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Mike4170
Level 1: Cadet

I think this is a pretty bad story and the old gent desrves a full refund, and the person who signed him up deserves the sack.

I found out today that when I added a second phone to my account, they signed us up to a second account still under the same account name.

I also spoke to telstra about reducing costs while I am going to be away for 5-6 months short answer nothing just keep paying.

I have been a Telstra customer for 25 years and am not happy. You can only upset people for so long.

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Alex_Mentone  ​We certainly wish to help out as this behaviour from any sales based consultant is not acceptable! We definitely want to get this sorted as quickly as possible. In order to do this we do need to collect sensitive member information. If you happen to have the details we'll need to get in touch with our member I've sent you a PM with a secure link where you can supply this and I can follow up to make sure our customer is well looked after, and the appropriate feedback is provided to the store. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Alex, thanks so much for the update message you sent me, I'm really pleased that we've been able to help Wally out to resolve his concerns, and that he was very happy with the outcome Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

By the sounds of it good news, which is good to hear.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit