CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Constant ADSL2 drop outs

Answered

I have a Telstra Gateway modem (the white one) and suffer from constant drop outs.  I have called Telstra many times and many times I have done the isolation tests and each time I ring them they can see that I have had numerous drop outs but it never gets fixed.
There have been many technicians visit, both phone line and internet and still drop outs.

The socket has been changed as it apparently was old and "rusted". 
The home phone has constant crackle and I was advised at one stage that it is my home phone that is the problem so I got a new one (it's a Telstra corded phone).  Then they told me it was the modem that was the problem - I bought a new one (the current one) and still drop outs. I've now replaced everything I could possibly replace but still to no avail.

At the moment my download speed is 2.1 Mbps and my upload is 0.4 and 20 ms ping speed but these measures can constantly change, usually downward. 

I am over constantly calling Telstra when nothing changes. Is it possible to use the modem without connecting the home phone to it?  I was thinking of moving the modem closer to the wall socket but cannot move the entire desk that way.

I am not technical in any way so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Constant ADSL2 drop outs

If you have a crackle on the line then it sounds like a line fault between your house and the exchange. A technician should be able to detect that very quickly.

And yes, you can use the modem without the phone being plugged in. If it is a line problem then it won't help.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you have a crackle on the line then it sounds like a line fault between your house and the exchange. A technician should be able to detect that very quickly.

And yes, you can use the modem without the phone being plugged in. If it is a line problem then it won't help.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you Jupiter. Technicians have told me that it is most like a problem inside my unit as the line to the exchange "seems" to be fine. One of them did tell me once though that they found damaged pairs at the pillar. I am just so over it especially as I work from home sometimes. I have often thought of going to the Ombudsman but then I thought it might look bad as I work for them too. Thanks again - I will try the modem without the home line as it don't use it anyway.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit