jaycee_m
Level 2: Rookie

constant nbn dropouts

I have FTTC connection and I still have constant nbn dropouts; it sometimes happens in the afternoon and lasts all afternoon; it sometimes happens all day. I have contacted Telstra and they have sent two technicians and one of them has changed the cable from the Telstra pit to my residence. To no avail. I have tried to eliminate the issue of hardware by using a mobile cube. The issue remains. So it cannot be the hardware or the wiring; it has to do with the exchange. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: constant nbn dropouts

What equipment do you have installed in the property for the internet? Make/model detail for the modem for instance? What lights do you see on the modem, particularly when experiencing a dropout?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

What do you mean by "a mobile cube"?

Note: FTTC doesn't use an exchange as such. It has a Point of Interconnect.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jaycee_m

I have an NBN connection box and a Telstra Switch. When there is a drop-out, there are only two blue solid lights (sometimes one) on the NBN connection box and two orange light on the Telstra Switch - the phone and the mobile signal; the rest are off.

SteveW_52

Can you provide the make and model of the Telstra 'Switch' (it's actually named by Telstra as a modem - and is also a router) There is usually a label on the bottom - that will make it easier to decipher the indicators you mention. Is there a single blue or green indicator on the other side of that box? A photo might help?

Also, as @Jupiter asked, what do you mean by 'Mobile Cube'?

Stevo 52
Jupiter

OK. I'm assuming that when you say a "Telstra Switch", you are referring to the Telstra Smart Modem as that is what it's sounding like by the rest of your description.

If your NBN Connection Box is only showing one or two blue lights, then there is something wrong with the FTTC connection (or the NBN Connection Box itself) and you need to ask Telstra to request that an NBN Technician be sent around to check out the problem again.

If the FTTC connection is working properly, the following lights should lit on the NBN Box:

Power Light : Blue

Connection Light : Blue (solid) - if it's off, then it isn't connected to the equipment in the street.

DSL Light : Blue (solid), if it's blinking, then it is performing a firmware update - do not tough it and wait for it to go solid blue.

LAN Light : Blue/Amber (solid or blinking) this means that there is traffic flowing between the NBN Connection Box and the Telstra Smart Modem. If this light is off, then there is no traffic on the ethernet connection between the two.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jaycee_m

It is a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with voice backup (picture of the back attached).

When there is a dropout the phone and mobile signal lights are orange and the rest are off. The NBN connection box has got one or two blue lights when I was told it should have three solid blue and the last one is a flashing blue.

By the way, what I was referring to was a mobile broadband modem - which I tried yielding the same issue as the fixed lines with constant dropouts.

Thanks for your help guys; this problem is driving me nuts and I cannot work from home.

Jupiter

The Telstra Smart Modem takes around 6 minutes to switch over to backup (mobile mode) when the incoming NBN connection drops out.

If you have important work to do and the NBN Connection is playing up, you can unplug the cable from the WAN port of the modem and use it in backup mode temporarily.

You will need to get a technician around again to find out what is wrong with your FTTC connection.

SteveW_52

How did you connect the mobile broadband modem (which would do much the same as the 4G Backup facility on the Smart Modem 2.

I agree with @Jupiter , disconnect the cable from the red WAN port and wait a few minutes for the modem to switch to 4G Backup (single blue indication on the front of the modem) .. 

Use it like that for a while (speeds may be different and if you have a problem connecting to some web sites, you might need to change the PDP setting for LTE in the modem - advise here if that is the case).

You shouldn't get the same service interupptions once you are on 4G Backup

Stevo 52
jaycee_m

Thank you, Guys for your advice. I will ask Telstra to provide another NBN connection box to see whether it resolves the issue as the previous Telstra technician has already changed the cable from the pit to the house. I will let you know in due course.

One more question : when you say to disconnect the cable from the red WAN port and go on 4G backup, what "side effects" does that create?

Thanks once again. I seem to get more help from Crowd Support than from Telstra...

Jupiter

Side effects when on 4G backup are:

• The speeds are limited to 25/5Mbps.
  • You may have some issues connecting to certain sites that don't handle IPv6 addressed connections properly.
  • If you use it continuously for an extended period, it may get throttled.

That's pretty much it.

SteveW_52

If the 4G service does get throttled after a period of use, if you are using that mode because of an internet service issue that you have reported as a fault, Telstra support can remove the throttling if you request it.

Stevo 52
jaycee_m

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit