C_McIntosh
Level 1: Cadet

Constant NBN FTTB Dropouts

Having yesterday been stuffed around by people on Telstra chat for 5 HOURS yesterday, and having had almost 2 months of constant dropouts, this morning the dropouts seemed so get worse, we now cannot go more than 30-40 mins without a drop.
We are in an apartment building, no neighbours seem to be having the same problems.
Telstra tech finally came after having had appointment after appointment cancelled on us, only to tell us that the issue was clearly something NBN side which he could not help fix.
My work is being interrupted as is the schooling of my daughter (remote school due to disability)
What are my options here?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Constant NBN FTTB Dropouts

The Telstra technician said that the fault was “clearly something NBN side” - have you contacted Telstra Support again to mention that because they will have to request an NBN technician to look at the fault?.

In the meantime you could use your mobile phone as a Hotspot for your daughter to use.

C_McIntosh
Level 1: Cadet

We have been making requests for NBN technicians, no help at all.
I am using my mobile to support both my and my daughter’s connections, but it is sucking my data dry due to the need for video links.

Dowser

What reason did Support provide?.

Given your daughter’s condition you could contact the Telstra Disability Enquiry Hotline: 1800 068 424 (Voice call) and discuss your situation.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

If your modem is a Smart Modem 2, it has 4G backup..  which is precisely for this situation where your NBN internet service has/is failing..

Unplug the cable from the RED WAN or the GREY DSL port and wait a few minutes for the modem to kick into 4G backup mode (blue light on the front) and then you should have an internet service at least, might not be as good as you are used to when the NBN service is working at it's best, but good enough for most things..

Note that if you haven't used the 4G backup previously, there might need to be a couple of minor setting changes required for the modem..  but see how you go and come back here with any issues you may have..

If you have used the Telstra trouble shooting tools then you might already have an idea of where the problem is, if not can you describe the symptoms - make/model of device, what LED's are showing on the front/back of the modem etc.

Also, how do your devices connect to the modem..  if mostly by Wi-Fi, try an ethernet cable where you can (because the Wi-Fi might be faulty and causing your problems)..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit