Mum4
Level 2: Rookie

Constant NBN FTTN dropouts

Have had nothing but issues since getting NBN in 2018, (that process took 3 mths ) . We are FTTN , and up until last week would get dropouts on a weekly basis, but put up with it. Last week  21st Feb internet dropped out from approx 11.30am til Friday afternoon sometime when I returned from work. An outage search on telstra site indicated it was a NBN issue, not telstra. Since Friday 22/2 we have had constant dropouts up to 10 a day every day. I contacted telstra  on Monday 25th who put me thru to the Service team. Since then I have had a least 5 phone calls from telstra who have got to to reset modem, look at what lights were on modem, etc and told me at they would escalate me to level 8 ? and my line would be monitored for 24 hours. They also made a tentative booking for a technician to come Thursday afternoon betwween 1-5 , in case the monitoring suggested a technician was needed. Then just  3 hours later another call from another person at Telstra saying that the NBN have told them its a telstra issue and that they will need to  send a technician to "remove a wire" and that will cost me $135. I queried why after 2 years a wire would need removing to maintain a reliable internet connection, but never got an explanation. I really dont believe that that is the problem, and I'm def not forking out $135. If anything I feel I should be compensated for poor service and wasting of my time.   Has anyone else been told a wire removal will fix drop outs, or do they think because I'm female I must be a complete idiot who will pay $135 because somebody overseas tells me that will fix my problem ? 

How do I get someone in Australia, to fix the problem, without trying to charge me for something that is wrong with their service that I'm paying for but not receiving. ??

thanks 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Constant NBN FTTN dropouts

The NBN FTTN service works at higher frequencies than ADSL. Any minor faults might not have effected an ADSL connection but can result in drop outs or no connection at all on an NBN service. If you have more than one phone socket and they were wired incorrectly they might have caused no issues with ADSL but could be the cause of your dropouts. Do you have more than one phone socket or was there a back to base security alarm system connected.

Mum4
Level 2: Rookie

There are 2 phone sockets, installed over 17 years ago. The main one and a extra one in a bedroom , modem is connected to main one. Never had  any security alarms. Everything seems to have gone majorly down hill since last weeks 24 hour outage. Could it be at the node, because nothing has changed at the house ,  

cf4

Its not likely to be the node but a faulty Termination in the node one of the pits or pillars. A NBN technician might have accidentally disturb one of your terminations while working on another service. It might also be a faulty modem but more likely to be a cable fault.. Contact support again and point out that until recently your service was working OK so don't agree that it is house wiring. If they don't agree to send a NBN  Co tech to check street cabling or send a replacement modem raise a complain by ringing 132200 and when asked for reason of call say complaint or use online form

Me2019
Level 1: Cadet

I am having a similar situation with Telstra which is very annoying. After complaining the first time they sent a new modem which also doesn't work. I have been escalated several times which makes no difference to the modem working except for a short while when they do something remotely. I was told a NBN technician would be at my premises last Friday and I needed to be home. Took the day off work for nothing as no-one came... I have now been told a Telstra technician is coming tomorrow and like you been told I may have to pay if the fault is at my end, what the! Had no problem with my adsl and wish I had never changed to nbn. It's strange how no-one calls now however when I originally asked for their $99 Entertainment Bundle I was getting calls/messages 3 or 4 times a day asking me to hurry up and connect. What a joke. Bad bad bad service from Telstra. Do not recommend to anyone unless you can put up with no good solutions from them - unlimited data, what a joke.
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Its standard practice to advise Fee For Service when dispatching a tech to advise if the fault is on your equipment there will be a charge for the tech coming. If there is not fault with your equipment there is no charge.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented

@Mum4 wrote:

There are 2 phone sockets, installed over 17 years ago. The main one and a extra one in a bedroom , modem is connected to main one. Never had  any security alarms. Everything seems to have gone majorly down hill since last weeks 24 hour outage. Could it be at the node, because nothing has changed at the house ,  

@Mum4, you need to get rid of the secondary point. If it was installed over 17 years ago, it is not good for NBN. While it is not directly causing your current problems as @343GuiltySpark and @cf4 pointed it is most probably bad termination, it is definitely causing degradation of your link. After I removed my second point, my speed went up by 30%!!!

Now, for the bad termination - be prepared for a battle. If your speed is above current legal guarantee of 12Mbps and you have less than 10 dropouts per 24 hour, NBN will try to knock you back. Every time Telstra creates ticket with NBN, NBN will autocancel it. Had the same issue several months ago and it took several weeks of complaints, case managers, help from some Telstra insiders in here and great amount of patience to resolve that.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit