Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Constant timeouts during peak hours.

Hi, recently i've noticed our connection acting very strange (about a week ago). roughly around the time we switched to a new but similar internet bundle which includes a 3 month foxtel trial. During peak hours our internet will timeout almonst constantly programs like mumble, xfire will disconnect  sometimes every minute. occasionally websites will timeout when they try to load, it was at its worst tonight when i tried to play a game, the game spiked constantly to the point that it was unplayable and i couldnt reconnect, all the while mumble and xfire disconnecting. During this time the internet never dropped out. DSL light solid, internet light flashing green.

my theories based on the evidence

-foxtel has somehow messed with our line

-bigpond is doing something dodgy (throttling? congestion? idk)

remember this is only during peak hours, i noticed the first timeout at 5:10pm it was at its worst between 6:30 and 7:30pm

I isolated the line also and mumble disconnected within a minute so i doubt its filters or the phones.

If anyone has any ideas or test they would like me to perform please let me know, until then I'm going to try get foxtel turned off and see if that makes a difference.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Constant timeouts during peak hours.

as of the last hour since my post, no problems and i dont expect any til tomorrow evening either which is when it will play up again

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey fruit252,

It does sound like possible congestion, if your service was shaped/throttled, it would be at all times, not specific times of the day. When you changed plan was the internet connection changed at all? Such as ADSL 1 to ADSL 2+? This could cause a movement of your connection, hence the recent issues.

We might need to investigate this one for you, as if the fault isn't congestion it may be an issue with the line. I will send you a PM with a link to our online form Smiley Happy

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, after a little more digging i'm currently testing a theory before I fill out your form. I found that my dad had installed google drive and let it run freely so it would sync/upload whenever it wanted (which would be when his laptop is on - during peak hours). I figure if it was chewing our upload bandwidth that could be the cause of the problems, so i disabled it and haven't seen any symptoms tonight. I didn't think the problem was something using the net 'cause i've never seen something cause timeouts/disconnects without lag, but i realise it could have just been spiking (and i didnt think my dad would install a program like that). But if it's not that i'll continue by filling out the form.

also to answer your question our plan stayed the same as before, adsl1, we cant get adsl2 where we are.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit