SjW999
Level 1: Cadet

Constant WAN dropouts

Constantly getting WAN light flashing and losing internet connection. Only fix is to unscrew cable to router or wall and reconnect. Rebooting router does not help.
I have bigpond cable internet and Foxtel. Have tried removing splitter and connecting router to wall plate .. no luck. Tried replacing cable to router... no luck . Tried disconnecting devices in the house ... no luck. Today I’m about to lose it as it’s dropped out about 8 times in 6 hours. Can anyone help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Constant WAN dropouts

Youll need to call the cable team on 13 22 00 to report a drop fault
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
Crozzer

Hi there, I can’t help but have the same problem, what router are you using?
SjW999

Telstra Netgear Gateway modem . I’ve seen quite a few others with similar problems and the support isn’t great on this issue
Crozzer

Yep, same. I’m getting constant loss now, no response at all from Telstra.
Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Crozzer, 

Sorry to read your services aren't working as they should, that's always disappointing. 

I would suggest checking the outages page  http://tel.st/aghhx; & doing some troubleshooting  http://tel.st/4gtpj

If that's of no help then contact the tech team on 132200. If your service is ADSL or Cable you can get help via the live chat service  http://tel.st/grlck

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Crozzer,

Just checking in to see how you went with my advice?

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TonyMcS

Solved for me

Had exactly the same problem with Internet and Foxtel and replaced splitter cables etc with no luck. This occurred over the last 5 weeks after my Telstra cable was switched over to the NBN (now have around 56Mbps down and 6Mbps up).

This would usually only occur intermittently towards evening especially on Friday and the weekend so I suspected a signal strength problem. Plugging the modem directly into the access point usually fixed the problem, but last weekend it failed even when directly plugged in.

After the usual few Telstra support calls to eliminate the easy explanations, I was escalated to the Telstra testers and then to a support visit from NBN technicians - which came the next day, They identified poor signal strength (as my cable to the street is quite long) and installed an amplifier. This didn't show up before connecting to the NBN, so there may be a slightly lower signal or various other explanations.

Haven't had the problem again for 2 days and hope to not have it again ;-)

nerkfred

Have had NBN since 27th Nov (13 days), Still unusable due to dropouts and speed (said laughingly) and when not dropped out often 0.2 down and 1 up - what a joke) . Even pulling the cord out of the not so smart modem, it transers to mobile sevice at a blistering 0.5 down.  Cant call Telstra on landline as it is also down!  TELSTRA call centre agents useless - they have no ideas.  Had to take 1/2 day of work to be home when NBN techos were suppoed to visit. They never  turned up.  TELSTRA advsied that NBN cancelled the visit as they didn't think it was their problem . NO ONE advised me!!!!

On first recall, NBN replaced 3 way splitter with 2 way splitter (2 channels used and spare left open <sign>).  Needless to say this was NOT the (only) problem.  TELSTA coming again tomorrow to replace the not so smart modem.  (NBN has already replaced the NTB) I'm betting this will be a waste of time. - Alas another 1/2 day off work.

Cavaet emptor - HFC is a grock, NBN not much better and Telstra - I will leave it to you to determine.

Kingsley WA  6026  ,  HFC  connection   (been a Telstra customer for 45 years!!!)

PS - you may wonder how I can write this if the internet is down - mobile hotspot!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit