Kevin84
Level 2: Rookie

currently on ADSL2+. I have the same download speed as I had when on adsl.

Hi

About 2 years ago I signed a contract for ADSL from Telstra at the time the max speed I was getting was 5.9megabits. 
The speed was not fast enough so a couple of months after that I change to ADSL2+ and the speed has never gotten any faster then the stated ADSL speed. 

This seriously is not good enough. There is cable around the corner, yet not at my property. I require faster speeds or ill be forced to go somewhere else for Internet service. Can someone please get this looked at because I'm sure it’s just that the port has not been changed over? If honestly there is nothing the can be done to improve the current ADSL2+ speed is there anything else on offer that would provide my household with faster internet speed? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: currently on ADSL2+. I have the same download speed as I had when on adsl.

About 2 years ago I signed a contract for ADSL from Telstra at the time the max speed I was getting was 5.9megabits. 
The speed was not fast enough so a couple of months after that I change to ADSL2+ and the speed has never gotten any faster then the stated ADSL speed.

ADSL and ADSL2+ are common names for network technology standards, and not network speeds in themselves.

Your contract would be for ‘BigPond ADSL’ service, which may be delivered over either ADSL (as in ITU G.992.1) or ADSL2+; BigPond does not have a separate ADSL2+ offering commercially. While ADSL2+ as a technology can achieve higher theoretical speeds than ADSL, and indeed the average ADSL2+ user across the entire user base gets higher actual speeds than the average ADSL user, but it doesn't hold true for all individual cases that ADSL2+ would outperform ADSL over the same physical ‘phone line’; line attenuation and other factors will impose a limit on the maximum achievablesync speed (and hence throughput from the perspective of the user or operating system) that is separate from ADSL vs ADSL2+ considerations.

is there anything else on offer that would provide my household with faster internet speed?

That depends on where you live. If you are in a Telstra 4G/LTE network coverage area, then BigPond Mobile Broadband will most likely give you download speeds of well above 5.9Mbps consistently. Even if you only have access to the 3G network, of your local tower supports DC-HSDPA, then depending on the number of mobile data users (including those with smartphones) using that tower at a given time – i.e. congestion, or lack thereof – BigPond Mobile Broadband may still yield significantly higher download speeds than ADSL.

Moderator Edit: Edited as per user request

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Kevin84 wrote:

Hi

If you were only getting 5.9Mbps on an ADSL1 service, then I doubt you will get much faster on an ADSL2+ service, as the maximum for an ADSL1 service is 8Mbps.

Put simply, if your not getting 8Mbps on ADSL1, you won't get much of an improvement (if any) on ADSL2.

@Kevin84 wrote:

This seriously is not good enough. There is cable around the corner, yet not at my property. I require faster speeds or ill be forced to go somewhere else for Internet service. Can someone please get this looked at because I'm sure it’s just that the port has not been changed over? If honestly there is nothing the can be done to improve the current ADSL2+ speed is there anything else on offer that would provide my household with faster internet speed? 

Consumers in Australia forget that ADSL is not a right afforded to them, but a privilege. Telstra, or any other supplier, is not obligated to supply you with an ADSL service or an ADSL2+ service, or any internet service at all.

As Drat mentioned, Mobile Broadband may be a solution for you perhaps?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

One quick addition, changing providers will likely not make a single different to the speed you are able to achieve via an ADSL connection. It's a function of the physical line to your house, not so much the provider in question.

As suggested, you MAY find better speeds from a wireless service, but the data limits are MUCH lower and the costs generally much higher as well.

ADSL2+ isn't always better. Where I now live my line is so poor I can't even get sync if I select ADSL2+. I have to manually force my modem to ADSL1 to get ~4Mbps. So 'faster' isn't always 'better'.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
RedDragon

I recently experienced a slow broadband.

I don't know why or how but my connection was ADSL and not ADSL2+ as I expected.

I called the hotline and they did the upgrade with no charge.

And everything was back to normal within 1 hour without to do anything because my router could already handle an ADSL2+ connection.

It maybe obvious but do you have a router ADSL2+ with the proper filter?

Kevin84

Yeah its a netgear n300 with adsl 2+ splitter.  Speed was great better back then, than it is now. Sync speed is about 5800 kbps. so its slowed more so then it was originally. I noticed the junction box outside it a bit worse for ware as a tech was playing around in there after water was flowing from the top of the pit. I'm moving house soon anyway so I'm not going to bother with it. Hopefully move into a fibre area. 🙂

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit