Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

D-Link Wifi Extender constant Drop-outs

Answered

I recently purchased a D-Link AC1750 Wifi-Extender (DAP-1720) and I'm experiencing constant connection drop-outs from it. My main internet connection is stable (rarely ever drops out)  but the extender drops out every 5-10mins... I have to turn it off and on again for it to work again, albeit only for a few minutes until it drops out again... Any ideas? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: D-Link Wifi Extender constant Drop-outs

That's not the newest one and doesn't have LTE backup (no SIM). It doesn't have band steering. The range of the wifi on that isn't the greatest either.

You will get a better result with your extender if you can force it to use the 2.4GHz wifi band for it's connection back to the modem. It is most likely using the 5GHz band and dropping in and out because of that.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

The current Gateway is the Telstra Smart Modem. Some of the Technicians must still have a few F@st5355 in stock and it looks like you received one of those.

The F@st5355 does not have a Band steering option. You could try changing the WiFi channel from auto to a fixed channel for both bands.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

You need to have the extender in a location where it receives a strong signal from your modem.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

What Modem are you using.
Highlighted

It does receive a very strong signal!
Highlighted

Telstra's newest one.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Please cmadvise the precise model of your modem eg Smart with sim
or Faast
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

The newest one is the Telstra Smart Modem. You could try turning off Band steering in the Smart Modem. To do this log into the smart modem http://192.168.0.1 click on WiFi, remove the tick next to band steering in the 2.4 GHz Band settings tab and then save the settings.

Highlighted

My gateway is accessed through http://10.0.0.138
There is no band steering option in either of 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz settings tabs
All I can change is: "Channel", "Channel Width" and "Transmit Power"
Highlighted

Smart with sim

That doesn't sound like the new modem then. On the panel where the ports are, there will be a model number. What does that say?
Highlighted

F@st 5355
It should be the newest one coz I got it yesterday with the guy that installed my connection for the first time. Keep in mind that I have cable not ADSL
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

That's not the newest one and doesn't have LTE backup (no SIM). It doesn't have band steering. The range of the wifi on that isn't the greatest either.

You will get a better result with your extender if you can force it to use the 2.4GHz wifi band for it's connection back to the modem. It is most likely using the 5GHz band and dropping in and out because of that.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The current Gateway is the Telstra Smart Modem. Some of the Technicians must still have a few F@st5355 in stock and it looks like you received one of those.

The F@st5355 does not have a Band steering option. You could try changing the WiFi channel from auto to a fixed channel for both bands.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit