Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Darwin NBN with High ping

Hi, Im in Nightcliff, Darwin with FTTP NBN connection, with premium "Speed Boost". Im having issues with higher then normal latency and when comparing to someone on Aussie Broad Band no more then 5-7 mins drive away, im a little confused as to the problem. How is it, that Telstra have so many more hops and higher lantency then Aussie Broad Band??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Darwin NBN with High ping

Hi DJ,

It appears that ABB have done something to their network that has broken Traceroute. I think you will find that every destination on the Internet will only be three hops away for ABB users Smiley Wink

There’s at least one thread about this on Whirlpool:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/92kzpv43 

Can’t help with the other part of your question (re. latency).

Cheers,

K

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those that understand binary; and those that don’t.
Highlighted

The Top tracert is bigpond (11 hops)  vs ABB ( 3 hops).. I should've mentioned that sorry.

Highlighted

Yep. That was the way I read it. My point was that traceroute is broken in the ABB network right now so that you can’t see any hops between hop 2 (BNG1 in Adelaide) and the final destination. It seems to have been like that for a couple of weeks now.

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those that understand binary; and those that don’t.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit