Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Data rapidly used up unexplainably

Hi, I'm going to start off with saying I pay 130$ for a 1000gb/mnth bundle. My family and I have been absolutely fine with this up until july this year when data usages showed we use on average, above 40gbs a day. Recently in October and up until today this number has gone up to 60gbs a day of internet usage. I get capped within a fortnight of my data just being renewed. 

There has been no changes in the way we use our internet over the past year. No extra devices added to our internet. No one is home until atleast 3:30pm. I get home and by 7pm the internet usage is up to 62000mbs ? 

Now I am curious if this has happened to anyone else? if so how did you fix the problem? or is this a fault on telstras end.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Data rapidly used up unexplainably

HI Pps94, I can appreciate the concern. There are issues such as background updates for programs and auto-play settings for embedded video in Facebook, YouTube, and other online services which can incur usage without your active involvement. Sites like YouTube also use adaptive bitrates - if you have a higher connection speed, it will provide a higher-quality video which incurs more usage. Our Tech teams on 133 933 would be best to contact for further information and investigation.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit