Level 24: Supreme Being

Dell Laptop slow upload speed recorded using Ookla speed Test.

I recently purchased a new Dell laptop. When I did a speed test using the Ookla speed test site I was surprised to find the upload speed was only 0.10 Mbps. This slow upload speed was recorded using both WiFi and ethernet connections. My speed on all other devices was 42 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up. This low recorded upload speed did not seem to effect the internet performance of the laptop. It would still upload files at about 11 Mbps.

I did some research and have found that other people have had the same experience with a Dell Laptop and the NBN. As yet I have been unable to find a solution or the cause, Has any one else experienced the same problem and or know what is causing the speed test to report wrong upload speed results.

This low speed is only recorded using the Ookla speed site or app including the Telstra speed test site. Other speed test sites give correct results.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Dell Laptop slow upload speed recorded using Ookla speed Test.

It's a problem that has been happen for models that came out since mid-2019. I haven't seen anywhere that has offered a solution to the problem, and it appears to be specific to a Dell-NBN-Ookla combo. And when I say NBN, I have seen reports from Telstra and Optus customers with the same problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - have you also downloaded the Ookla App from the Microsoft Store to load on to the Dell PC as well or was it for your smartphone only. It has no advertising which is great and also shows Packet Loss. I realise you have a modern new PC which would outrun my old HP Netbook anyday, however I have noticed a difference in test outcomes between the Ookla web site and the PC App on my HP PC, but not in the Mac OS or Jetson Nano Ubuntu OS.

My 8 year old HP Netbook struggles with the web speedtest version, it takes 30 seconds to load the advertising before I can start it up - if I don't wait for it to complete, the result is woeful  - Ping 45 ms, 9.37 DL and 1.71 UL. whereas my two other PCs crank it up within 5 seconds.

On the HP Netbook, using the web interface after all advertising downloaded , on my 50/20 HFC service -  typically around this morning's test - Ping 12 ms, 27.21 DL, 7.86 UL.

With the PC App - Ping 8 ms, 52.62 DL and 18.84 UL. Unexplained mystery. 

Low upload speed occurs on both the app and using a web browser. When doing a speed test I always check that I am using the nearest Telstra server as sometimes the site or app select a different server that can cause a difference in the speed test.

The app result on your net book is likely to be more accurate than the browser. The app probably uses less resources than the browser as it is coded specifically for running a speed test. If you check the task manger you will probably find the netbook is running at 100% utilization when doing a speed test using the browser, 

What chipset/s are used by the networks?  Have you tried USB adapters (with different chipsets) with the same tests. Can't say I have experienced the problem myself on my own systems, but did have to fixe a remote site clone NUC that had selective speed issues like that - USB devices and disabling the onboard devices provided a quick solution. The chipsets in that case were Broadcom I think.. updating or downdating drivers didn't help.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Laptop doesn't have ethernet port so used USB network adapter which records correct speed with other devices including an older dell laptop. Its not a driver issue as the speed is okay it is just that the Ookla test records the wrong upload speed.

It's been a while but at the time I remember there was something about the Broadcom chipset - sort of an AI approach ('knowledge based' I think was the the description) that was selective about traffic. At the time I just needed to get it fixed, so went the USB route. Haven't had the same thing happen since. hence my use of 'selective speed issue'.. you asked for 'experiences' that was the only one I had in that situation..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Just thought I would provide an update. My new laptop is no longer recording an incorrect upload speed. I haven't changed anything and as far as I know the laptop has not updated any software so it is still a mystery as to what was causing the miss reporting of upload speed using the Ookla speed test engine.

Who knows with updates these days - so many happen silently..  But it does sound like some data or setting was retained (incorrectly?) to cause that..  That's the other things now, just leave it a while and things seem to fix themselves..  with Windows that is often 'stacked' updates and minimal user advices..  they are just making sure you shut every thing down occasionally and get some sleep..   Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Level 4: Private Eye

I have the same exact issue with my Dell Inspiron 7386. My upload speed is 0.10 Mbps on Ookla, but on other speed tests like https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/ I get 25 Mbps. Haven't been able to figure this out. This was fine last November, but something happened in December to cause this. I no longer trust Ookla speed test.

Was thinking it may be java related, but not sure. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit