Manni
Level 1: Cadet

Detailed Information about usage of Internet Data?

Hi at all,

I am wondering if there is any way to see exact information, that shows not only how much data I used per day but also in which TIMEFRAME. When I was with AAPT last year, I always had a table, that showed me the day and time (in hours/min/sec), which is very useful when it comes to have an eye on the teenagers, when they are at home on holidays, the parents have to work and try to keep the online hours low without disconneting all day. You know what I mean?

Using this table from AAPT was very useful and our teenager knew, that we exactly whould know, when and how long he was online all day, when we were working. That helped us having some control and we all were happy.

Now, with Telstra, I only have a daily overview, but I cannot see, in what timeframe or what time a day this data has been uesd.

Can anyone help, please? Perhaps I just didn't find the right link in my online account yet?

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Detailed Information about usage of Internet Data?

Now, with Telstra, I only have a daily overview, but I cannot see, in what timeframe or what time a day this data has been uesd.

Can anyone help, please? Perhaps I just didn't find the right link in my online account yet?

BigPond is unable to provide that information, unfortunately. Its usage meter used to report usage grouped into hourly intervals, a few(?) years ago, but given that the data gathering from the network elements may be delayed unpredictably by up to 8 hours from the time of actual usage, even in ‘normal’ circumstances, it would be inaccurate and meaningless at best, or misleading at worst anyway.

Your options are to either install data usage recording (applications or operating system-level services) on each end-user device in your household, or install a router that will provide logging of IP-based data usage. Both of these are defeatable by technically proficient teenagers who have physical access to the devices, of course.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Manni
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you. Interesting, that the biggest provider doesn't have (or doesn't want to provide) such an easy thing, as other providers do. Anyway, this information helps a lot, thank you
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Interesting, that the biggest provider doesn't have (or doesn't want to provide) such an easy thing, as other providers do.

Do remember that data usage at hourly intervals is neither meaningful nor required from a billing perspective, if an ISP does not make a distinction between peak and off-peak hours or partition a plan's included monthly usage allowance by that.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit