Difference between monthly internet usage and daily internet usage

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Ensign12
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Difference between monthly internet usage and daily internet usage

Sorry pressed a button to early. My monthly internet usage for 2 days shows 5.77GB the daily usage for the same 2 days shows 2.799GB. How come the two systems don't match as they should? If the system takes the monthly usage as the norm I will run out very qquickly. If the daily system is correct I won't have a problem. One of them is incorrect which one, and how can it be corrected?

DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

It is showing 5.77GB as your month to date?
but it is showing two days at exactly the same 2.799GB? No variation at all?
So we are talking a... 170MB difference?

Is this via the My.Telstra or the 24/7 meter?
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Ensign12

This is on the Telstra My Account system.

DrQ

Ok,

So when you highlight the days it shows 2.799GB on each day, but a total of 5.77GB?

Have you used Telstra Air at all? It doesn't show in the same way (it has its own selection)
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Ensign12

The difference is 2.97GB between Monthly and daily.

Ensign12

The Monthly usage shows a total of 5.77GB, the daily total shows   Day 1   2.04 GB & Day 2 shows .763MB giving a total of 2.803GB.

DrQ

Fair enough that is unusual. Sounds like BigPond tech support would be your best bet. On 133933
Helpful Links

Ensign12

OK Thanks, but tech support weren't able to give an answer as to why the difference and how to correct it. They could only say that the daily usage was accurate. They didn't say that the daily usage was the system they used to calculate the monthly usage at the completion of the billing cycle. If they did that it would solve the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DrQ

I am not sure, mine is always the same, the only thing I can assume is that the data hasn't finished calculating properly and that the monthly meter has updated with full amounts while the daily meter hasn't completed the updated yet... (as they can be delayed up to 48 hours).
Helpful Links

Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Our usage meter is very accurate as it only records usage to and from your SIM. DrQwerty90 is correct and there can be a delay of up to 48 hours for the usage to be shown. This is why a bulk amount of usage can be seen in some cases. There is also possible apps in the background using usage you are not aware of.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit