TechHead123
Level 5: Eagle Eye

DJA0230 v1 backup service fault

Answered

On FTTN and noticed that our download speed has dropped from the usual 28/30Mbps to 20Mbps. Upload speed same as usual 5Mbps on our NBN 25 plan.

Made the fatal mistake of reporting a fault via My Telstra app ....

CSO got me to do a full reset of the modem (paperclip job) which did nothing for the speed but has caused the backup light to no longer illuminate, and the Gateway > Advanced > Mobile reports "No device connected" in Configuration/SIM/Diagnostics. From day one the light has been on, showing either green or amber given our 4G area service.

CSO got me to unplug the DSL cable and no light illuminated and did not seem to register that the light has always been on from day one. The CSO asked if the SIM was activated, and I said I assume so as the service has been working and the backup light on since 2018.

After more unplugging the DSL cable and replugging I've bugged out of the online app service as was getting nowhere, CSO reported have an active case to refer to if still an issue and has referred me to the My Telstra app for self-serve info 🙂

Question: is the modem now faulty or does the SIM card take some time i.e. hours or days to register?

I recall when we received the modem it worked straight away.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TechHead123
Accepted Solution

Re: DJA0230 v1 backup service fault

Further update.

Had a call back, was told there is a widespread NBN network issue in this area (regional area north of Melbourne) causing low speeds, NBN scheduled to fix by 21 May.

Helpfully Telstra and NBN sites report no outages, but then slow speeds are not deemed to be an "outage" I guess.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

The modem is probably faulty. The 4G backup should work within a few minutes of the modem botting up after a reset. You could try another factory reset and if that doesn't work try removing SIM and reinserting the SIM.

In regards to the low speed what does the modem's line status show? (Advanced > Broadband > DSL Link tab)

TechHead123

Greetings - great to see you are still here 🙂

I later switched the modem off, pulled the DC cable and left it for 10 minutes then powered back up.

All lights then came up normally including the backup signal strength one. The modem then seemed to do a number of reboots (much internal relay clicking) before settling down. I noted that the power led was white which suggests it was receiving a firmware update, no doubt the result of the CSO wanting the full reset.

It now seems to be back to where it was before the reset, although curiously the exercise turned on messagebank on our landline, which we had disabled a couple of years ago. I've now - hopefully - turned that off again.

The max download speed is still 20Mbps instead of the usual 28/30Mbps - current data below, which apart from the speeds is almost identical to when all was fully working (we are 900m from the node).

By filing the report to Telstra I had hoped for a line test then to just be told there was a Telstra network issue and in time it would be sorted, not this mess with resetting the modem, but however I will know next time.

DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
11 hours 26 minutes 43 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
5.9 Mbps 21.67 Mbps
Line Rate
5.2 Mbps 20.75 Mbps
Data Transferred
71.86 MBytes 6.88 MBytes
Output Power
6.3 dBm 11.1 dBm
Line Attenuation
9.8, 52.7,N/A dB 21.9, 66.9,N/A dB
Noise Margin
7.6 dB 6.5 dB
cf4

I don't thing the drop in speed is due to the modem it is more likely to be a line fault. The link status (high attenuation and the fact that there are no attenuation figures for the higher frequencies) indicates the low speed is due to the line. Resetting modem want fix the low speed.

TechHead123

I agree it is most likely a line fault.

Interesting re the higher frequencies missing. The following are the attenuation figures for when we had max line rate 6.69Mbps & 28.83Mbps:

Line attenuation:

up 9.9, 52.0, 69.1dB

down 21.8, 67.0, N/A dB

So now only the higher frequency for the upload are N/A, the rest are about the same.

Now to dig up a phone number so I can hopefully speak to someone who half knows what they are doing, can do a line test and log a fault ....

One more Q. I have a spare new unused DJA230 v1 here. If I need to try that out, should it work with its sim card, or would I have to swap that out for mine?

Jupiter

You can run a lot of the tests via https://fix.telstra.com.au which will put your through to a consultant afterwards to report the fault (as you will have already run all the tests that they do as standard).

The new modem should just work as is, out of the box. No need to swap SIMs out (it will register itself against your service when it connects).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

You don't need to swap SIM cards. When the modem is connected with the NBN it will update Telstra with the ID of the SIM.

The Bit loader graph (Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL) Will give a indication of what could be wrong. Some example images below. Used Fritz box as easier to show.

In the first image there is a 600 ohm short to earth close to modem that has effected the low frequencies.

Bit Loader resistive earth close modem

In the second image there is a Bridge tap that has mainly effected the mid to high frequencies in both directions.

Bit Loader Bridge Tap near modem

TechHead123

Gee thanks for all the great advice guys 🙂

I am now in a queue to talk to someone - delay estimated to be an hour .....

I will post an update in due course. It has happened twice before over the last couple of years, and on both occasions it was either an issue at a local pillar or in a pit. 

TechHead123

Update.

Via 132200 call agent did line tests and identified a fault. Booked an NBN tech visit but unfortunately we got cut off when she was telling me about the visit.

I thought it was all going too smoothly 😞

I then initiated a conversation via My Telstra app and gave new agent the INC number but he couldn't find notes the previous agent recorded and tests carried out, and he started the whole process again e.g. questions re modem plugged in to the first socket etc etc.so I terminated the conversation.

I did give the first agent my phone number so with a bit of luck she will call back sometime. If I haven't heard in a day or so I will phone again and quote the INC number.

TechHead123
Accepted Solution

Further update.

Had a call back, was told there is a widespread NBN network issue in this area (regional area north of Melbourne) causing low speeds, NBN scheduled to fix by 21 May.

Helpfully Telstra and NBN sites report no outages, but then slow speeds are not deemed to be an "outage" I guess.

View solution in original post

TechHead123

Well my issue is still dragging on.

Got a SMS that the NBN issue in the area had been fixed and my fault report had been closed, however we still had the low speed. Filed another report, modem reset again and "agent" did line test and then said the maximum line rate at our address was 18Mbps. I pointed out that up till a few weeks earlier, our max line rate was 30Mbps, but this did not seem to register with him, just saying he could not raise a fault with NBN as we were getting speeds consistent with our maximum line speed, and if any other issues feel free to contact Telstra again ......

I filed an online complaint, got a call from a case manager who claimed work was still going on and she would call back with updates. Never did, and after a day or so got another SMS saying the fault report had been cancelled.

So I filed another complaint, and today someone who claimed to be from level 2 faults did the same tests and advised the same i.e. the max line rate at our address was 18Mbps and no fault detected so no report could be raised with NBN Co. I pointed out that we are at the end of the Telstra cable in our street, and a neighbour 2 doors upstream is getting a max line rate of 35Mbps, suggesting there is an issue in one or both of the two pits between us as has happened in the past. He did not seem to register this, again saying what the max line rate was indicating and no fault detected.

Result is he is sending out a gen 2 modem (ours is gen 1), " ... and if you have any further issues, contact ....".

I will be surprised if the gen 2 modem results in our max line rate jumping to 30Mbps again, but will see.

Jupiter

Having a maximum line speed less then 25Mbps (the minimum required speed capability for an NBN service) is enough for Telstra to be able to raise a request with NBN Co to get the issue investigated, especially as the speed was higher than 25Mbps previously.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
TechHead123

That's what I thought, but getting someone in Telstra who understands that and has the authority to do something is proving difficult.

4 x INC fault reports and 3 x online complaints have all seemed to end up with L1 & L2 people in India, all except for the first (who said it was a WIP network issue) saying the max line rate we now have is it and a fault can't be raised.

TechHead123

A letter to the CEO's office has resulted in prompt action, with a fault investigation filed with NBN Co. and follow up email and calls, which is great.

Unfortunately the NBN tech visit did not resolve matters. He measured the maximum line rate at the pit outside our place to be 25Mbps, and said as a result the NBN was meeting the minimum speed required.

He offered no explanation why our maximum line rate suddenly dropped from 30Mbps to 18-19Mbps after 10 May, nor that the same seems to have happened to at least the house upstream from us. According to the FB site they have gone from 35Mbps to 21mbps.

He said the further drop in speed from 25Mbps to 19Mbps at our first point of termination would be due to the condition of the lead-in cable, which he said the NBN were not responsible for.

I am pursuing the matter further .....

Jupiter

Yes, you should definitely be pursuing it as the Network Termination Point is the First Point of Termination in the premises. The Lead In cable is the responsibility of NBN Co. At the absolute worst case, he should have measured the speed at the termination box on the outside of your premises.

As far as getting speeds above 25Mbps, you may be out of luck as that is the minimum required capability of a service.

TechHead123

He took no measurements other than at the pit.

Initially we talked inside where the modem is to which I had a laptop connected via a short ethernet cable and I showed him the speed the modem was reporting.Shortly after at the pit I asked him if he wanted to also take a measurement at the FPT but he said no, the modem reporting the line speed was sufficient.

I assumed that his meter would report additional data, including if there was a line fault somewhere between the node > pillar > address. He said he would check our connection at the pillar and let me know, but all I received shortly after was a text saying "the nbn job at your location is now completed".

Thanks a lot ....

I'm not convinced the feed-in line is faulty and I think replacement would achieve nothing, because there would still be attenuation of a few Mbps over the length. We're in a typical suburban situation i.e. house set back from the pit some 15m, not a country block with 100 feet or more feed-in.

Something happened to the network after 10 May to affect our speeds in this street but NBN Co. seem unwilling to look at why, and are simply hanging their hats on the fact that at the pit(s) the speed meets the minimum required 25Mbps.

Jupiter

The fault in their logic is that the pit is not the required measurement point for the 25Mbps. The location that it needs to be measured from is the first connection point in the premises. The pit speed is irrelevant.

TechHead123

A follow-up. Telstra CEO support team have been dealing with this.

3 x reports lodged by Telstra with NBN, who have now claimed they cannot detect any fault or network issues with our service. Nil comment from NBN re why prior to 10 May the line speed at our address was 28-30Mbps and is now 19-20Mbps, and addresses upstream from us have also dropped in speed.

The comment was that as we are on a Tier 25 plan, download speeds around 21Mbps "are within specifications".

Telstra have applied a $30 monthly credit on our service for the next 12 months as a goodwill gesture, which is appreciated and something at least.

As we have fibre running through the two pits on our nature strip the hope is that at some stage we might get FTTC, if the NBN can be bothered .....

Jupiter

The comment that 21Mbps download speeds are within specification due to you being on a Tier 25 plan is also wrong. The specification for an acceptable service level is independent of the speed tier of your plan. All NBN FTTN connections are supposed to be able to support a minimum 25/5 Mbps service (I've been through that process myself). So your connection is not within specification.

Now for the kicker. If NBN Co can't be bothered fixing it, the only option you are given is to cancel your service. Telstra isn't even obligated to provide compensation in that case as they have done what is required of them to rectify the situation (it is nice to know that they have given you some compensation though).

TechHead123

Interestingly it was the Telstra "operations team" who made that comment re  our Tier 25 service is working within the specifications with download speeds of 21.70 Mbps, although I've never seen that; typically it is 17-19Mbps.

We had the internal wiring sorted before connecting to the NBN and the modem is connected to the first - and only - connection point. The problem causing the sudden drop in speed a couple of months ago is clearly elsewhere, but NBN Co. seem to have no interest investigating.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit