Chrisb83
Level 1: Cadet

DNS ADDRESS NOT FOUND

Hi,
I have a Shopify store and it can not be accessed by users on Telstra NBN during peak times.
Other ISP's seem unaffected and Telstra NBN is fine during day time.
If users turn switch from NBN to mobile data the site again works fine.
I appreciate any thoughts or comments on how to fix the issue.
Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SSgrasshopper

Re: DNS ADDRESS NOT FOUND

i am having the same issues on my NBN connection on many random sites, need to refresh 3 or 4 times before it finally loads.

i set my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and i get no issues.

set back to Telstra DNS and boom timeouts.

This is what my DNS is normally.

Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

kaotickelly

I'm experiencing problems at the moment too, unable to get to vmware.com.

Using Telstra home cable. 

Like post above, changing DNS to google's (8.8.8.8) solved issue.

SSgrasshopper

https://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/australia

i am using IINet dns much faster than google. so take your pick till Telstra fix there rubbish

Serkan

I am having the same issue with my Telstra Cable connection.

I can't get to a simple site such as www.chemistwarehouse.com.au when connected to my cable modem, but as soon as I switch to mobile data the site loads just fine. Another site that doesn't load is www.commonwealthawards.com.au, which is CBA's awards website.

Both are well known public sites!!

Additonally, if I use a WIFI device and connect via Telstra Air (modem is Telstra Air enabled), both the sites load fine.

Conclusion: Site are OK, Telstra Cable DNS servers have issues !!! Worst of all, I spent 1 hr on the phone to Telstra Support only to end in them logging a call for further technical support because they had no means available to determine or troubleshoot the issue.

Unfortunately, the DNS settings on the Telstra Gateway Max modem/router cannot be changed as they are read only, probably locked down by the firmware. This means i can't alter them to use the Google ( or any other ISP's) DNS server IP addresses.

Telstra, just admit there is a problem and then go fix the issue. We pay good money for your services and to have to put up with these sorts of issues and deal with useless tech support processes is totally unacceptable!!!

Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ChrisB83

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you later in the day. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Serkan,

While the DNS settings cannot be configured within the modem as a work around, this can be configured on most individual devices. 

Alternatively, if you have a router, you can disable NAT & the WiFi network on the cable modem which will allow you to connect a BYO router of your choice.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Serkan

Hi Shelly,

I tried configuring DNS on my local pc via the ethernet adapter settings. I turned of the automatic dns and specified google's public dns server IP addresses (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4), flushed and re-registerd dns via ipconfig command BUT this does not resolved the problem. In fact, when I do a tracert on say, www.yahoo.com.au, I can see that I am still being routered via Telstra servers !!!

Then I found this discussion:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/How-to-configure-non-telstra-DNS-servers-on-g...

So changing DNS at the device level is useless too.

I dont have another router and don't see why I should bother with that approach.

TELSTRA should provide the service we pay for.

How about tackling the real issue???

ps I requested another call back to follow up on ths and got the same old response. Another email was sent to back office support as an escalation but I am not holding my breathe.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad
Serkan

Well what do you know, I finally got a call from backoffice support !! 

Was instructed to turn off my modem for 10hrs and then turn it back on. Apparently, this results in a new IP address being allocated and *could* resolved the problem.

Will give it a go tonight and see....

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit