Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

DNS Servers not responding

Clients who have these dns servers also cannot reach our webhosting nameservers, however every other internet provider can reach them no problem.

Cannot ping the following DNS servers
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

Our company runs a major hosting operation and this has left all of the sites who are being visited from telstra connections with these specific DNS entries unable to reach websites.

An example site if anybody wishes to replicate
embmal.com.au
Resolves correctly on mxtoolbox with no dns issues and also resolves on all other providers other than telstra with the above dns.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: DNS Servers not responding

And it was working for a few days and it is now down again,

Same name servers not responding from a certain cluster of telstra clients.

Multiple clients not able to ping both DNS addresses

Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

Fix your DNS servers!!
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

There seems to be a general problem with Telstra's routing for the last week or more.  I had one client who's websites were invisible to Telstra internet users for 4 days last week.  All their other customers could see the website and Telstra mobile users could see it.  I have another client who's website disappeared for Telstra customers on Friday and it is still down even though everyone else can see it.

Interestingly, I am on iPrimus and use the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) but the network is owned by Telstra.  I can see the sites in question but I can't ping them or perform a successful traceroute.  These functions aparently don't use the DNS.

Pinging the router gets 3 timeout messages and performing a tracerout results in the route timing out after hitting a server in Singapore (IP: 174.133.118.131)

Unfortunately the Telstra support staff don't even know what a traceroute is and refuse to accept any problem exists so they wont escalate the tickets.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, 

This could be an issue with the website's Time-To-Live (TTL) settings. Telstra can only go off what you set for your domain. If you have made changes during that timeframe our servers will not update their records until such time as the previous TTL expires.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Waht lame answer. I have every dns lookoup either timing out or lagging for up to 1 minute these days. We now have options Telstra. Going to Optus now that the NBN has arrived.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit