Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Drop in ADSL2 Speed

Hi hopefully someone might be able to make sense of all this and help me out.

Two weeks ago I noticed a big drop in my ADSL2 speeds. I was getting over 18mb/s from speedtest.net and now it has dropped to as low as 2 or 3 mb/s at times.

I have dealt with tech support who advised that there were no issues with my account and my line passed the signal test from their side.

I was then moved onto 2nd level support and they attempted a few more tests which everything passed. They even recreated my ADSL2 profile a number of different ways but that did nothing. This was all two weeks ago.

Yesterday I had a field technician check the exchange and then the pit outside my house and he believed that the signal was all good, yet I am still getting no more than 9mb/s max. I called the level 2 tech line back and the person did the same tests that have been done time and time again and said another field tech had the come out to test from inside the premises as I missed the first appointment (The first tech failed to call my mobile as requested and instead called my house phone - clearly I won't answer a house phone if I'm not home.) Now I have to wait another two weeks for the net tech to come out on the 20th and I'm not confident his going to find anything the first guys didn't find.

I believe the tech yesterday swapped me to another ADSL2 port as I am not getting as high as a sync speed on my router as I did before yesterday (20.5mb/s downstream).

My router is a Billion BiPac 7800VDOX and it has been working flawlessly for over the last six months. Naturally I have tried all the normal troubleshooting stuff like factory resets, leave it off for a period of time, isolation test but the issue is still present. I also checked speedtest.net from a number of devices in my house (both wired and wireless) but I am still getting poor speed.

There has been no equipment changes at all so can't see it being anything inside the house.

My router settings are listed below (I have just removed my IP etc):

Model NameBiPAC 7800VDOX
Host Namehome.gateway
System Up-Time0D 0H 49M 10S
Date/TimeSat Mar 8 09:02:20 2014 
Software Version2.32d
LAN IPv4 Addressxxxx
LAN IPv6 Addressxxxx
MAC Addressxxxx
DSL PHY and Driver VersionA2pD038f.d24h
Wireless Driver Version6.30.102.7.cpe4.12L08.4
WAN
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps)1021
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps)19970
Default Gateway / IPv4 Addresspppoa0 (DSL) / xxxx
Connection Time00:47:48
Primary DNS Server61.9.194.49
Secondary DNS Server61.9.195.193
Default IPv6 Gateway / IPv6 Addresspppoa0 (DSL)

So anyone out there that has any ideas, please help as I am wits end.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Drop in ADSL2 Speed

Hi Porkosta,

Good to hear you can actually ge ADSL 2 . Even in 2014, my local Telstra exchange doesn't have ADSL 2 so I'm stuck with ADSL 1. When I signed up with Telstra in 2010, my ADSL download speed was around 6Mbps. That has been reduced to 600kbps most of the time now. I went through the same testing process as you several times with Telstra who also told me that everyting was ok with the equipment in the exchange and with my equipment.. Eventually one of the support techs let it slip that my local exchange is congested due to too many users connected to too little equipment. Telstra seemed to want to keep it a secret that congestion was the issue. Now that they have admitted what the problem is, I asked what they will do about it. Their response is "nothing, we don't have a schedule for upgrading the exchange". No doubt they don't want to spend any money because they are waiting for the NBN to arrive which could be years away.

I hope congestion isn't your problem too because Telstra won't care or do anything about it and you'll be stuck paying for a crappy service that doesn't do what you pay for.

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.

I only was able to get ADSL2 after a tophat was installed on my local RIM a year or so ago.

It seems very odd that it happened all of a sudden last week. Fine one day and slow the next. I was talking to a work college that lives close to me and he said he has had the exact same thing in the same time frame except his on a different exchange.

I don't know what it is but I am paying for a service from them and it has been flawless since I moved into this house, if the service all of a sudden can't be provided like it was before then I'm better off ditching the loyality looking elsewhere for another providor. 

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

The only drama I for see from the information you've supplied is you are connecting at 19 odd Mbs which is very fast on ADSL now sadly your internet will be classed a satisfactory. I can only think as more folks connect to the rim the implementation of restrictions are being applied. Still that's just my view.

Changing providers will not change your capable download speed as you'd still be using telstra infrastructure.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

After doing a bit of looking into it myself I have found that the DNS servers were always random after each restart.

I set the NSW server in manually and that looked to fix the issue until I restarted th router again and it was just as slow.

It's a bit of hit and miss for some reason. I just looked into it again and put the NSW server in manually and this is the speed result I got:

Do the test not even 5 minutes later without changing anything and it drops down to this:

Not even two minutes later, and it back up to this. Makes no sense.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Does your stats vary in the modem? Speed test are a very loose measurement. Download a file chunk then see if the speed relates to your connection..

Internode have test files.

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/

It would be interesting to read your result, remember to keep an eye on it.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi porkosta

Our tech contributers are available on weekdays so if you're happy to allow a day or two for a response we can have the experts look at the information you've provided and give you some advice about your service Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Porkosta, 

Speed test results can vary for a number of reasons so to make sure that your results are as accurate as possible, make sure that:

- You have only one computer connected to the modem and preferably via LAN cable

- make sure any other devices that connect to the modem are completely turned off or disabled. People often overlook their smart TVs, Media devices (Apple TV, T-Box etc), gaming consoles, and tablets. Alternatively you can disable the WiFi within the modem itself.

- ensure no programs are running in the system tray that utilise cloud services (eg: Drop Box, iCloud) or file sharing (eg: Skype, Steam)

BigPond customers can manage the line profile on their services here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

Hope this helps.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks Shelly,

At the times of speed tests no other devices in the house are connected.

The computer is via ethernet cable.

I have just put in a request to change the noise protection on my line and am monitoring the SNR levels on my router.

In saying this, I am finding the my speeds come back after random restarts and the only thing that is difference is that the DNS settings change when the auto is set to obtain these automatically. Even after setting the DNS manually to the NSW servers I have found that the speeds alter greatly.

Highlighted

Hello Porkosta,

I am experiencing the exact same problems as yourself. My modem is the Telstra supplied Technicolor TG587 v3 with latest firmwire. I am currently at work so I can't provide the screens of my speedtest until late tonight.

My sync speed is at about 23000. I have completed a factory reset of my router several times in the past 3 weeks. My problem commenced when my PC stopped me accessing anything which was associated with apple.com I was not able to access apple support forum, itunes, app store or even apple.com homepage. This was across a variety of devices and operating systems from Mac OSX 10.9, iOS7 and iOS6, Windows 7 and even android devices. After a factory reset I was able to access apple again, however I noticed that my download speeds are doing exactly the same as what you have desribed above.

Just last night I was on the phone to BigPond support about my problem after a factory reset I was getting a Concentrator not reacahable error.

My Internet would connect by supplying the Internet userID and pwd and my speeds would shot up to the norm of 18-19Mb/s via speedtest within about 30 seconds or less my internet would disconnect and my PPPoEWAN would be requiring a userID and pwd which I supply and the Concentrator not reachable error would return. 

Tech reset the line several times and my password. After exhausting he put me hold to escalate to 2nd Level. During this time my mobile phone cut out. I decided to give the modem an old fashion reboot and suprise suprise my internet was operational. Not sure if Telstra did something in the backend or if the modem just needed a reboot to retain new settings. 

Yet I still experience the same problem my speeds are down an average of 4Mb/s on speedtest but have dropped as low as 1.5Mb/s. At one stage my upload was faster than my download. I have turned off and disconnected all devices which previously connected to this router and has made no difference.

Like you I also experience that the DNS servers being obtained automatically are incorrect. I have made changes via Telnet to the correct primary and secondary for NSW. 

I am on the Warilla Exchange and a fellow friend said they are experiencing the same problem on the same exchange and have been onto Telstra support for a couple of weeks without resolution. I have another friend who has the exact same configuration as me but on the Minnimurra exchange and I will be interested to see their performace.

The only things I can think of is the big rain we had about 3 weeks ago and that the NBN in Dapto has been turned on at about the same time this has occurred. 

I fail to see how modem or infrastructure is at fault when at inital factory reset I can get my speeds I had from 4+ weeks ago but within seconds the service is degraded.

When I get home I will post some images of speed and also traceroute info too. Hope this does not require me having to escalate to my local MP for a resolution.

Highlighted

Thank you Kaos,

Interesting to hear that you and other are having the same issues and that you are all so close to me - Albion Park exchange.

I too am getting to the limit of my patience as it has now been at least 3 weeks of which I have not received the service I am paying for - this will be my next question to telstra - What discount will I get for the sudden poor speeds I have been getting.

I have tried altering the noise level protection as recommended in this forum but that actually made my sync links worse, so I have requested it be put back to standard and I'll do some more tests when I get home from work.

Highlighted

Just did another speedtest with my settings back to normal and this is the result:

Then a couple of minutes later it goes to this:

It changes randomly I am finding without any equipment changing or restarting etc.

I'm still at a loss here...

Highlighted

I did a test just now and I am getting the following;

It was at 1.45Mb/s about 10 minutes earlier and then jumped up to about 6.83Mb/s

The following is displayed also on the gateway

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 2:14:19
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,012 / 23,538
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:11.71 / 84.36
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.1 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:7.3 / 8.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:9.0 / 6.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 161
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 3

PPPoEWAN 

Connection Information

Link Status:Disconnected
Last Error Message:Concentrator not reachable
Highlighted

Cold boot of the modem and these are the performance results.

WIll report back in about 30 minutes without changing anything. Everything in the house is off except the fridge, oven. telephone, PC and modem.

Highlighted

Still going strong

Highlighted

Did notice that PPPoEWAN is not attempting to connect which could be a promising sign.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with my ADSL2 speed reducing dramatically, I too have seen this reduction in the past 3 weeks or so...  Have contacted telstra tech support, tested my line, re-booted line etc... to no avail, have completed all the standard troubleshooting. 

Like yourselves I too am using the Warilla exchange, operate the Telstra technicolour TG587 V3, its only about 2 months old so I'm guessing its the latest.  Performed regularly the OOKLA speed test with result in late afternoon / evenings at a low 2.82 Mbps download, 0.78 upload and 31 ms on average. 

Extremelly frustrated with the service being offered, nothing has changed from three weeks ago in terms of equipment I am at a loss to understand the problem. 

I also have a T Box connected and foxtel and often have a problem watching foxtel with the picture freezing / pausing, I have noticed early mornings / late nights after midnight the speed improves, however its nowhere near the speeds I had about a month ago.

Unsure if its congestion or perhaps the weather (heavy rain) over the past few weeks, however its a big problem in my household. 

Any suggestions / advice aprectiated.

Thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Lazo,

Slow speeds can absolutely be caused by heavy rain. In some cases, pits can fill with water and if every connector isn't completely water tight, the service can drop, or have slower speeds.

With weather-related faults, you should notice improvements once the rain stops and everything dries out. Regardless, this is something we can address and fix. I'd suggest giving us a another call, or speaking to LiveChat (http://tel.st/gq6m) to investigate again, or send a Field Technician.

Brodie

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Porkosta

Just read through the thread.  I too have a Billion 8800AXL and am working through how I can use it against the dark forces (Telstra).  Interestingly, the thread is dated 2014.  A few years later and I am still experiencing the same problems.

I believe that it is overcrowding on our exchange.  The NBN is a joke down here in Vic.

I've had plenty of conversations with Telstra techs over the last 2 yrs about this and while they may appear to want to help, I dont think that the company really cares.  The unfortunate things about this is that it is the operators and techs who are usually pretty genuine in trying to get things right but the company they work for have 'over promised and are under delivering' (it's probably their policy given that they need to ensure a good ROI on the share market).  The other frustrating thing is that changing provider doesnt mean a change in infrastructure.

Telstra have got us all by the 'short and curlies'

Good luck

Toma.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit