Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

email can't send - IP blocked

Cant send email intermittingly over the last couple of days.

Outlook brings up the error message to say IP 124.179.79.212 is on the Exploits Blocked List (XBL), please visit spamhaus for more information.

Spoke to bigpond technical support and the useless person just said that error is your computer, excuse me, but I know what is my computer and what is bigponds problem.

Please bigpond, unblock the IP.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: email can't send - IP blocked

Please bigpond, unblock the IP.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=Spamhaus

It isn't up to BigPond to unblock you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

It may not be up to Telstra to unblock us, but they can contact spamhaus and request removal.

Alternatively, at least block that IP from the range for a short period until it is removed.

We are not on a static IP address and according to spamhaus it was listed 20 hours ago which is not us, as our internet wasn't on for the last day and a bit.

Highlighted

"

It may not be up to Telstra to unblock us, but they can contact spamhaus and request removal."

Actually, you can do that yourself.

Telstra don't own,. and cannot overrule Spamhaus

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra have been recycling bad addresses for a while now. Their IP pool is too shallow so they just redistribute old addresses even if listed in Spamhaus. We had 5 in a row one day. As soon as we got a new IP, we checked it in the blacklist and sure enough... Seriously, Telstra needs to put their hands in their pockets and buy more addresses. They owe it to their customers.
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@mark81 wrote:

Cant send email intermittingly over the last couple of days.

Outlook brings up the error message to say IP 124.179.79.212 is on the Exploits Blocked List (XBL), please visit spamhaus for more information.

What SMTP server are you using? Is this happening when you send email through mail.bigpond.com? (Or the MS Live equivalent?)

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Highlighted

Its happening with mail.bigpond.com - it only happens every now and again, and as soon as I turn off the modem and turn back on again, I get a new IP address and all is OK. 

It is just another bigpond problem where they keep recycling IP's and don't even attempt to unblock them.  Previous Posters - it should not be up to us to contact Spamhaus, Bigpond as the owner of the IPs should take proactive maintainance and look at what IP's are blocked.  All it is doing is increasing tech support wait times. 

I spoke to Tech Support and they said this has happened many times, and they will escalate it to look into it.

Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@mark81 wrote:

Its happening with mail.bigpond.com - it only happens every now and again, and as soon as I turn off the modem and turn back on again, I get a new IP address and all is OK. 

So BigPond is using SpamHaus on its own SMTP servers? 

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Highlighted

well the ip is listed in spamhaus - basically someone attached to bigpond decides to spam every now and again.

Highlighted

hollowpoint wrote:
Telstra have been recycling bad addresses for a while now.

There is nothing wrong or ‘bad’ about those IP addresses, any more than your shirt is wrong or ‘bad’ if someone else decides they don't like it.

Seriously, Telstra needs to put their hands in their pockets and buy more addresses. They owe it to their customers.

That is an ineffective remedy that would only address (no pun intended) the issue in the immediate term.

And, no, Telstra does not owe it to BigPond customers to buy more addresses. If you believe your are not getting a fit-for-purpose email service per section 2 in Part B – Cable, Part C – ADSL, Part D – Mobile Broadband, or Part H – Velocity in the BigPond Service section of Our Customer Terms, whichever is applicable to the BigPond service you have, then by all means report it as an issue, and escalate it repeatedly if necessary – to the TIO, if it came to that, and see whether others think your claim is substantiated and support you. Telstra most certainly does not owe it to you to give you the ‘solution’ you prefer, however.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Level 2: Rookie

I am a bigpond customer and use  bigpond.net.au mail service.  I run Mail 6.2 on a OSX10.8.

I have a variation of this problem. I am a frequent international traveler. I constantly run into mail send issues as it appears Bigpond site at times blocks the IP address I may be  sending from.

At present, this is highly problematic as for example - all of Sydney airport public WiFi has been blocked, the Intercontinental Hotel in Beijing is blocked, and so it goes.
If I look at diagnostics, I see a message that for outbound mail, the connection to the SMTP mail server has been refused, "…. nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is listed on the Exploits Block List (XBL)".

I have tried creating an Account in my mail client where I try to Authenticate (sign in) to the outbound mail server, but that fails as well. 

I think that if Bigpond allowed log in to the Outgoing Mail server (port25), to authenticate who I am, it could them process my specific request from customers securely, while blocking other dangerous requests regardless if the ip address is blocked.

Is there a way  for me to set up my client so that I do not have this problem?

I have raised this with Bigpond support, and been on sporadic call back from them with no resolution.

Looking forward to any advice or suggestions.

Highlighted

Had several very productive calls from Bigpond support today (thank you "Paul"). 

Posting this update here to complete my part of this thread.

The solution appears to be to move to a different outbound bigpond mail server "smtp.live.com" which does allow for authenticated log in.

We have completed the steps to do so. My next overseas trip will validate if this solution works to elimiate the XBL sendmail  issue.

Highlighted

Hi zmk1962

Thanks for coming back and posting the update  Smiley Happy 

Dee 

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Highlighted

Just confirming the above approach fixed the problems.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit