Teambwr
Level 2: Rookie

Exceptionally High Data Usage

Hi,

As a family of four and the occaisional visitor we use on average 200 - 300 GB a month. We moved to a new house in a different area just before christmas. Our house and the new house next door needed to have a 'line in' laid by contractors and we finally got connected on the 16th December. 

10 days later our speeds slowed to a crawl and when I checked I found we had apparently used all of our 1000 GB of data. Thats impossible we thought. We organised a top up and spoke to an engineer who said they would monitor the situation. He said it was the first time he'd ever seen anyone go over 1000GB in that timeframe. On the technicians advise we installed data useage meters on all devices and changed our wifi password.

Then on the 9th January (we still havent completed a full month at this point) our speeds slowed again. When I checked we had gone over the 1500GB limit. (the top up hadn't even had time to apply in the system).

We quickly checked all devices and even with the kids being home from school our total usage was around 100GB not 500GB.

I spoke to telstra again who said to wait 24 hours for the speeds to come back up. By the time I got home from work the following day the speeds were still low 0.01 to 0.1 mps. So I rang again and they did something which made our speeds go back to normal circa 12mps.

When I went into the telstra account app the following day I saw that our useage for the 2 days that we were running on reduced speeds were 33GB and 44GB. 

Obviously I am concerned that this trend continues and other than monitoring the situation there doesnt seem to be anything more proactive being done to resolve it. One thing I am sure of is that we havent used anywhere near that much Data. We still have 4 days to go on this months account, I think we might be heading for a record.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Exceptionally High Data Usage

@Teambwr seems a bit high

a couple of questions

1) are you watching or downloading blueray quality or better video's? (ie HD /4k youtube catchup tv)

2) torrenting? (there are legal torrents like linux os's/distributions)

3) downloading /torrenting games

4) have you tried something like eset online scanner ? (it is free and used the advanced option)

5) have you tried something like Malware Bytes? free option

the reason i asked about youtube is becauseif it is set to auto display quality you will get the hjighest possible definition available to you (at least as far as youtube is concerned)  .....

to give you an idea of the difference lets take the movie Avatar as an example standard definition is around 700-800megabytes blueray quality is 1.5-1.9gigabytes.

some games are now 10-20+ gigabyte downloads just for the install.  an example of this would be World of Warships at 37gigabytes startrek online was (last i knew) about 20gigabytes.

torrenting files can be a real boon for quicker and stable downloads but some people down realise torrents are a 2 way street and are uploading parts of the files they receive (called seeding) and if you 200+ connections on a torrent it will eat it up quickly if the upload and download limits are not set.

the last 2 is just purely for checking if you have been hacked/ botted.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
cretsiah

@Teambwr sorry should have added

re: eset online scanner

1) depending on how new/old your system is it could take upto 3 days to run.

2)if doesnt appear to be starting at all after the first day then your system is 90-95% infected with something

3) in advanced option you want to scan all hard drives, partitions, and for potentially unwanted programs.

4) if/when finished tick un-install program (otherwise if you get infected again this program will be compromised).

Teambwr

Hi, thanks for your response. I dont profess to be particularly technical bu I will try and and answer your questions.

1. Yes, kids watch you tube, but I wouldnt say their use has increased since we moved.

2. Dont know what torrenting is. Havent changed our set up since we moved.

3. My older daughter has a Steam and an Origin account, she hasnt downloaded any new games recently. she has to ask me if she wants to download anything as I have to pay for it) At the moment she plays Overwatch most of the time. My youngest daughter re-downloaded a game called Star Stable, Again, their level of gaming has not incresed other than being home moe as its the holidays. 

4. we have installed apps to monitor useage on all devices as I said out total for the period was 100gb and Telstra mesaured circa 500gb.

We do watch the odd show on netflix, but not consistently.My eldest donloads tv shows but only a few at 500mb per show.

Is it possible that the games i mentioned are torrenting? but then wouldnt that show up on the device useage.

I just think its odd as nothing has changed in our set up, the kids are playing the same games as they always have and our average useage was 300GB and its now through the roof.

If our apps are correct somehting outside the devices is driving this what could that be?

cretsiah

@Teambwr for youtube issues usage would not need to increase per say..... what happens is that in settings of youtube it is usually set for auto quality.... this means if your connection is strong and stable enough to view the new fangled 4k/4000k visual videos the downloads will increase purely because of the quality difference (by the way 4k or 4000k what ever they call it is the next generation of visual quality display over and above Blue Ray High Def quality.

so as an example above in the avatar movie (that is just 1 file or 1 movie). that is a 700megabyte difference for just that 1 movie. now times that by however many you/them watch.

STEAM yep lovely thing it is (well would be if it wasnt such a resource hog on older sytems lol). steam itself may or maynot be an issue but the games that are on there will be for download size and for some even their constant updates are huge. i have seen 5gig updates for some not all games.

1) how many games does she have?

2) how many times does she change games?

3) is steam always on/connected?

4) are all the games set to auto-update?

I dont know much about origin except that it was/is similar to steam but i dont know how much similar and same questions would apply.

your sons downloads

ok lets say 1  TV show is 24 episodes long at 500mgs each episode thats 12000megabytes (or about 12gig roughly).

cretsiah

@Teambwr by the way OverWatch was a 30gig download not including updates when ever you/ her did that

just so you know

Teambwr

Thank you again, but here's the thing. Even with the potential for there to be higher usage due to things you describe, we installed apps on all devices when the first restriction was applied. Our total usage at the point the second restriction was applied was circa 100gb, yet Telstra's Meter said over 500gb.

When our service was running at 0.1mps we used 33 and 45 gb on those days. Is that even possible?

cretsiah

@Teambwr

Um you do know that not all steam and origin games require a payment to play?

called "Free to Play" or "Freemium" like on your phone or tablet may or maynot require ingame purchases.

examples of Free to Play

- Warframe minimum 12gig hardrive space

-Team Fortess 2 minimum 5gig hardrive space

-StarTrek Online minimum 21gig hardrive space

-Tera minimum 45gig hardrive space

NeverWinter minimum 23gig hardrive space

Teambwr

Yes, I do know that. But if she was downloading all these games wouldn't it be reflected in the app that measures data on the device.
cretsiah

@Teambwr that does sound a bit weird can i ask what app yu were told to use?

and maybe try this thing called Glasswire freeware version (it will

it is a firewall thingy but if you open the usage tab it can tell you every1 your connect to...

generally tells you the app, the amount and traffic type.

under the firewall tab (although you might have to click on the + sign i can also see the other comps and how much traffic they are using (maybe not what exactly without paying for it) but i can see when my second oldest son is back on his computer cos the spikes go from 0-30kbs upto 300-400kbs (so i can assume he has gone back to watching youtube or something).

DuckDodgers
Level 20: Director

@cretsiahyou have to remember that 4k youtube videos, granted they do exist, are not the standard on youtube, worst case they are watching youtube videos at 1080p. granted 1080p do chew up data but would not be doing to the extent of what @Teambwr is going through.

Games as well would chew up data but you got to remember that if they are downloading and installing it would be a once off not downloading > installing > uninstalling > repeat. it sounds like that reaching the cap has happened a couple of times so far so it sounds like that, that might not be the issue.

If they are not doing anything out of the normal then there is no reason for the data to increase like @Teambwr is claiming.

To be honest if you have a look at some the more recent posts here seems to be a high increase of users claiming that they have reached their quota's a lot quicker than before. I myself have had the issue last month where in 1 day i downloaded over 100GB of data, now its not impossible for me to do it (i live on my own) but the probablity of it happening is slim to none.

Just out of interest @Teambwr is the WiFi on your modem locked down? i mean do you have to enter in a password to connect to it? or can you just select it and connect? Im just thinking that if its not locked down you might have a smart neighbour using your internet...

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.
Teambwr

Hi @DuckDodgers, yes our wifi is password protected and we changed it as advised.
DuckDodgers

i mean at 12MBps connection to chew through 1500GB is kinda impressive as well. im on 100MBps and i struggle to go over 200GB and thats for 1 person.

There is something definitely not right happening here. im assuming that you are on a ADSL2 connection? have you tried seeing if there is an update for your modem? that may help out? or worst case do a factory reset on the modem.

i definitely would be interested to see what the application you have installed for monitoring say. i have a sneaking suspicion that someone might have cloud storage app that seems to be uploading and downloading all the time.

sorry i cont provide any more help but definitely an interesting thread.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
Teambwr

I have just read the replies to date on this and will pick up from where my wife left the previous comments. 

Firstly, I'm not entirely sure what this email thread will achieve? Find the issue, advise what the issue is or ask others opinions as it appears Telstra are unable to discover the problem. 

This is a problem as since we moved house from a Telstra supplied house to our new home, nothing and I will repeat that, NOTHING has changed in our internet usage, downloading or Netflix usuage and in fact it's most likely declined as we used to have a foreign au-pair living with us who watched Netflix and internet based TV on a regular day time basis. 

In our years with Telstra our usage has typically been well under 500Gb monthly for a family (effectively) of 3 adults and two children both of whom use the Internet and have done for years. Usual usage has been circa 300Gb

So, on moving to a new home, I'm advised that since the activation of our newly built house to Telstra ADSL2 we have actually burned through over 1500GB or to be more precise, over three times our previous highest ever usage months in barely 3 weeks. Now, in my view if nothing in our usage has altered beyond the same devices, doing broadly similar activity and actually one heavy user is removed, I think there's something wrong in our usage figures according to Telstra.

I would comment that-

Our wifi is password protected 

Usage apps for all phones and iPads have been installed

Activity Monitor on our IMac is used to check and track activity

We do not and never have used legal or illegal torrent services

We have iCloud but accounts but all are currently disabled

We are NOT watching 4K content

My daughters 'gaming' PC has a total data usage to date since new recorded (1 month before we moved house) of circa 120GB

Further to this, recently our service on a day Telstra deemed we had exceeded our data, reduced our service to 'dial up' levels of 0.1mpbs. Naturally that speed was painfully slow and obviously so and we stopped using the wi-fi and utilised mobile internet but on those days we were deemed to have still used 33 and 45gb of data. The time to do this would be almost impossible, even more so given we not even online. 

To be very frank, I am fed up of the consistent finger pointinf of apparent desperation by Telstra support that this 'must be something we or our devices are doing wrong'. 

I will repeat again 'NOTHING has changed in our home, in fact the users are LESS' in our new home but Telstra now measures our data usage at well in excess 5 times our usual average????? Anyone else sense this seems incorrect.

This needs to be resolved because at this moment in time I would quite happily cancel this Telstra account given the ridiculous time spent waiting on the phone to sort this out.

In my view some of the usage figures to date, especially when we were on reduced service are almost a physical impossibility and equally even on full service (average 6-7Mbps) a usage of what's now approaching 2000gb in less that a month would require almost 24hr downloading.

What is Telstra's answer to this, more 'it must be our fault?'

DuckDodgers

i feel your pain @Teambwr i had a similar issue about 3-4months ago where i was being charged for a premium service which i was not receiving and to only be told that it would take up too 6 months to rectify.

well 1 TIO complaint and 3 complaints officers later i had the issue resolved in 7weeks. could have got it dont a log quicker if i logged a TIO complaint a lot sooner.

best option from here head to the TIO website log a complaint with them. then once you receive your reference number, log a complaint to Telstra's complaints department and watch how quick this issue gets rectified.

Good Luck mate.

cretsiah

@DuckDodgers @Teambwr I agree with you something is wrong. And is why i suggested the anti-virus and malware scans on each computer/ tablet or phone (and please dont try to tell me iphone, or android or linux is immune)

@Teambwr I am not trying to suggest it is your doing at all. tried to show the differences of what would happen with various circumstances if you have a good solid consistant connection. 

This is why I think there might be bots/trojans/viruses on the system and no the monitor may not pick them up. for example what about those viruses/trojans that used to hide in BIOS, Masterboot records, ram or on a different partitions untill a reboot occurred? (some were so stubborn it required a complete format of the hard drives and flashing of cmos/bios to get rid of.)

@DuckDodgers as for games though and espeacially STEAM are you accounting for their updates??? i mean back in 2014 one of the Assasin Creed games had a 14.5gig update yes update not a game download.

A mate of mine installed 1 of the Call of Duty games 60gig download for game not including updates, he has also given up on origin because they have gone the way of steam  (he is on satelite not with telstra).

I gave up on Steam because of 3 things

1) it always slowed down my computers

2) always had to update steam and then the game before i could play any of them. (this could take days for 1 game on adsl out in the country).

3) game corruptions (on average the "verfy game install" would require completely re-downloading the game)

cretsiah

@Teambwr another reason why i am concerned you might have BOTS or Hackers..

Friend of mine had 3g mobile home broadband ended up with a $10,000 phone bill.

Had they been hacked YES..... when the hacker was using their laptop webcam to video tape them and then send a copy of it their private email addess you know you have problems.

what could bots be doing anything from causing ddos attacks, avoiding ip traces, farming content/ private data/ and re-routing through your system. just as examples

DuckDodgers

Hi @cretsiah apologies for the late reply, kinda forgot about this thread.

Granted game updates can get quite huge but again we are talking about a large download block in such a small period of time. again it is possible but very rare, not a frequent thing. If you are thinking that game updates are causing the issue, maybe have a look at what games are being played i highly doubt that your kids are playing all the games that are in their library. I mean personally i play 2 different games at any point so in steam i have set them to update whenever, the 5 others that i have installed i have set to only update if i play them (which are i would say is occasionally).

1. steam does do that if you have it running, but so do all your other applications that sit in teh background running as well. your Antivirus would be the biggest culprit over steam.

2. yes if there is an update you do need to update it before you can play them (online especially) but for non online games again you can play without the update by just selecting them to no autoupdate.

3. verify game install shouldn't download the entire game, it should just verify the main files that it uses and if one was not a default one it would redownload them. in most cases its very small.

if you are thinking that you have bots/trojans/viruses on the system, then it sounds like you need to back up your data and do a clean install.

your next option is the extreme of them all. remove everything from the modem and connect a limited amount of devices for 1 day and see what happens, in your account you can see how much you have downloaded/uploaded for that particular day.

i guess you want to pin point which device is chewing up the quota. try not connecting any of your desktop/laptops and only have your phones/tablets connected and see what happens, if everything seems normal then just introduce 1 desktop/laptop at a time to find out which device is causing the issues.

hope that helps

cretsiah

@DuckDodgers @Teambwr

well not having NBN like you guys you might want to think about this posters question ........ certainly made me think about it PMSL

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit