rm16
Level 2: Rookie

Excess data usage

Hi all' Why can't i make contact with a human and why is data being stolen overnight?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Excess data usage

lack of human contact is the new Telstra customer support model..  Smiley Frustrated

What data is being stolen? can you explain more please?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
rm16

250gig yesterday and the same today. My usual usage is usually 3 gig per day. This happened last month as well. It just goes missing and then I'm on slow speed with no one to talk to. Ombudsman is involved. I receive a email saying I'm reaching my limit and then another one at the same time saying I'm over and then it all gone. It all happens on the one day at the same time.

SteveW_52

No streaming activity? 'Free download' sports etc? That is quite a lot of data, is this happening on a mobile, tablet or a PC and is it pre or post paid? Are you usually connected by wi-fi when this happens?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
rm16

Always connected to wi fi. No streaming. On my lap top which is turned off when not in use and all apps are closed. Monthly account. basic. The big issue is why can't I get this fixed? Where is Telstra when you need them? Yep, it is a lot and it impossible for me used that amount data. Very very frustrating. I have work to do and it lows me down.

SteveW_52

Even when you are connected to Wi-Fi it is possible that your device will use use data off it's own plan.

Do you use a VPN? No other users on your network? No Air users or other unknown users tapping into your network? 

Where possible change your devices to use cable rather than wi-fi and see if that makes a difference?

Have you checked your device/s for malware, trojans, viruses, rogue app's running in the background etc? There are also softwares that will allow you to monitor network/internet traffic to identify what is going where..  you can get some traffic data from your modem also..

Not knowing the exact setup and how you use your device/s internet etc. it is hard to offer specific device. Telstra might have trouble with that as well. 

Stevo 52
rm16

Thanks, I've checked most of that. I'll have to wait for Telstra. The are not answering calls at the movement which is a bit strange. thanks again.

rm16

Update: Finally got into call centre after 28 hours of non communication and they have given me 500 gig to go on with and promise an investigation into where the data has gone. Their report is due in 10 days. They are not only investigating but monitoring as well. I've give you more when they hand down report.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit