Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Excessive data usage

We are older people and do not have a land line but a rural Ericsson wireless system. Over the last couple of months every now and then we have a massive spike in our daily data useage going from our normal 200mb per day to 2,7gb per day even when there has been no change in our normal activity and even when we are not at home also there is no increase in the stored data on our computer. We have very simple mobile phones and no other devices. I have tried to access the Ericsson router to try and see what is going on but the log on screen will not show. We are in the middle of a fifty acre paddock the nearest neighbour about .5 kilometer away. I'm concerned  A. Our monthly useage is used up too quickly. B. Our computer is somehow being used from outside. We have AVG anti virus and also anti spam.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Excessive data usage

The simple explanations are usually the best.

While 2.7GB in a day does sound excessive, it could indicate a couple of things.

Your computer could be downloading updates.  This would not necessarily show up as increased storage use on your computer as it does the updates and then purges the excess data that is no longer required.

There could be an intermittent glitch with a piece of software (eg Outlook) causing it to continually search for updated information for an extended period of time.

If your computer had been hacked by a third party, I would usually expect to see a fairly consistent overall increase in usage rather than intermittent spikes of that magnitutde.

Finally, yes, it could be an issue with your Ericsson system.  Have you tried powering it down and then restarting it. Sometimes these sorts of systems get a corrupted internal memory slot which causes them to misbehave, which can be resolved by a simple revoot.  Sometime the old IT joke of "This is IT support, have you tried shutting down and restrarting?" is actually the simplest solution.

If you restart the system and still can't get on the the router's homepage, call the people who installed it and see if they have any suggestions.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit