Fozsam
Level 1: Cadet

excessive data usage

We have a 100GB per month plan.  We have Netflix and Disney Plus.  We have watched 3 movies in two weeks.  2 weeks into our monthly plan overnight we had a data usage of 319,000gb which put us over our monthly limit and slowed our internet speed to half which is crazy.  We cannot understand how this excessive data usage can occur when we only watched one move that night.  Does anyone have any idea/tips for us? Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: excessive data usage

The most data that should be used by a 4K stream in an hour is around 7.2GB.

To use 319GB in a single night is rather excessive and would indicate a data counter error.

You will need to contact Telstra to query the usage and to get your service un-throttled.

Send a message by either:

• the My Telstra app on your mobile
  • logging into your account via the telstra.com.au website

and then go to the Get Help tab and click on the blue icon at the bottom of the screen (labelled Message Us on the website, icon only on app). If the bot doesn't understand the query, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response. If you use the app, you will get a notification on your mobile when someone responds.

You may also want to change plans as you are on an old one by the sounds of it (the current plans start at 500GB at 25/4 Mbps speeds).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Techunsavy
Level 2: Rookie

I had the same thing yesterday, so today I down loaded telstra app to mobile and chated with someone by 24x7 message and they fixed my speed, but I still want to know how it happened as my monthly average use is 20GB and in one day I had used 189GB doing nothing different then every other day. They could not tell me on chat 24x7 messages due to privacy issues but I will definately be ringing Telstra tomorrow to find out why.

Dowser
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

You can keep an eye on your data usage via the My Telstra app.

On my mobile service that information is even broken down into daily usage.  It could be the same for a broadband service.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit