korn_shelle
Level 2: Rookie

external smtp blocked again

Hi telstra moderators,
I'm having the same problem as my last post-

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet/outbound-smtp-from-static-IP-blocked/m-p/952...

Shelley helped escalate this to get it resolved after fruitless calls to the technical helpdesk.
Can you please raise with your engineers again.
First noticed today as our office was closed yesterday.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: external smtp blocked again

Hi Korn_Shelle,

I have escalated this for you again and will follow up once we see it has been complted.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Custa1200
Level 1: Cadet

I am also unable to send outgoing mails through my hosted mailserver on port 25. How does this get corrected.

This seems to have started to occur about a month or more ago I have not been able to send emails through my hosted mail server  from my home cable service.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Custa1200,

Can you confirm that you have "outgoing mail server requires authentication" ticked and using the same login details as the incoming?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

dan_todd
Level 2: Rookie

I've had the same problem with Telstra Cable. Would you mind PMing me details of who you are using as your mail server? I'd like to compare notes.

There are numerous examples of this problem on this very forum (search for external IMAP or external SMTP). Unfortunately, most of the suggestions from Telstra's otherwise excellent Support Agents will be unhelpful. It's not the Support Agent's fault as I suspect this is something far more complex than what they should be expected to resolve. 

See my thread for my experience: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/Can-t-Access-external-IMAP-or-S...

The first thing that you should do is change your mail.telstra.com mail server from port 25 to port 465.

Potential Solutions:

There are three solutions that worked for me but are not perfect and will cost you time and/or money:

1. migrate to a gmail or an exchange hosted mail server. There are other advantages of this (less false tagging as spam by your receivers), but will likely cost you around $5 per month per user.
  2. use a VPN server to effectively by-pass the Telstra network. This works fine. I use GhostVPN. I'd encourage you to use a pay-for-use service, but you could test it on a free service. You might need to add mail.bigpond.com to the VPN exception list. 
  3. use an SSH tunnel to your webserver and change your mail settings to a localhost and port setting. This is advanced, not perfect but reliable and free.

Other Observations:

• Your mail will probably work if you connect to the internet via your phone.
  • This is an incredibly annoying scenario and Telstra is unlikely to be able to help.
  • My problems went away this week with me making no changes.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit