Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Extremely slow / broken upload on FTTN

Answered

Hi team,

I am staying with my parents during the pandemic, and trying to work from home with their Telstra FTTN 50/20 plan.

We are about 1km from the local exchange. We are experiencing extremely slow FTTN upload speeds / lag. Download speeds for an established transfer, e.g. streaming video, are mostly stable, but browsing, new connections etc. can be slow/laggy.

I have posted connection stats below, and a typical Ookla speed test result which shows zero / tiny upload capacity for about 10 seconds before it seems to finally start transferring...This is consistent across multiple devices whether over WIFI or connected via ethernet cable. For this reason, I feel like this is a line/connection fault, rather than a local network issue.

Can anyone interpret this information for me, or provide recommendations about how to further troubleshoot?

Diagnostic Info

DSL-4320L

DSL
DSL Phy Version: A2pvI042j1.d26b
Mode: VDSL2
Link Power State: L0
UpLink / DownLink
SNR Margin (0.1 dBm): 181 / 146
Attenuation (0.1 dBm): 0 / 144
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 6 / 138
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 46081 / 76988
Rate (Kbps): 22600 / 60104

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Extremely slow / broken upload on FTTN

Have you tried testing with everything disconnected from local network except the device doing the speed test. According to modem's VDSL link stats speed should be close to 50 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. If there is a problem its not with the link but is either a Telstra Network fault or a local network fault. The FTTN link is capable of 76.9 Mbps down and 46 Mbps up. The actual speed of the FTTN link is 60 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

If you run a test using Ping plotter it might give a better indication of where the problem is occurring

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Extremely slow / broken upload on FTTN

Have you tried testing with everything disconnected from local network except the device doing the speed test. According to modem's VDSL link stats speed should be close to 50 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. If there is a problem its not with the link but is either a Telstra Network fault or a local network fault. The FTTN link is capable of 76.9 Mbps down and 46 Mbps up. The actual speed of the FTTN link is 60 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up.

If you run a test using Ping plotter it might give a better indication of where the problem is occurring

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit