Sylveon
Level 1: Cadet

Failure to Connect to Internet on NBN

Hi all,

After a very frustrating day of being on the phone to Telstra and unable to contact NBN Co directly, I am turning to these forums with a brief glint of hope.

Yesterday was the scheduled date for the NBN installation at my house using FTTN technology, after I purchased an nbn50 plan from Telstra. An NBN Co tech arrived at my house, allegedly completed the connection to my premises, performed a line test and left. At no point was a successful connection to the NBN achieved, and so I assumed something would have to happen on Telstra's end before I got internet access as the tech did not mention whether or not this was the case.

Fast forward to now, and I still have not had a connection to the NBN at any point. I am using a Telstra Gateway Frontier modem which is hooked up to the wall socket the tech connected the NBN to. The indicator lights on the top of the modem have perpetually been lit as follows: no light for 'Phone' as I am not connecting any phones to the modem, a magenta light for 'Online' indicating that 4G failover mode is active, a green light for 'Link' indicating a successful DSL sync, and an orange light for 'Signal' indicating a moderate strength connection to Telstra's LTE service.

In the router settings themselves, under the 'Internet Access' tab in advanced settings, there is a green light next to WAN and Mobile, but an orange light next to DHCP, which says 'Connecting'. The DHCP has always been in this state; never has it successfully connected. Furthermore, DHCP is enabled, and DSL is connected and shows maximum (and current) line rates for upload and download. Everything else is functioning as normal.

Telstra has allegedly contacted NBN Co, who claim that there is no physical issue with the installation. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with Telstra's DHCP denying me access to the internet. I have tried a wide range of solutions, including switching the cord connecting the DSL port on the router to the wall, rebooting the router and factory resetting it by using the pin hole under the 'Power' button (six or seven times), and using a different, VDSL2 capable, router to complete my connection. None of these things have worked.

I've been on the phone to Telstra customer service reps who have allegedly lodged tickets with NBN Co, and call after call I've found that no such ticket has ever gone through. I ask community members who may also be suffering with this issue, or those who are knowledgeable in this area, to provide assistance in case there's some strange router setting or the like that may be able to resolve this. Thank you very much

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Failure to Connect to Internet on NBN

There are no settings in gateway that can resolve the problem. It could be a NBN fault. NBN connected your line to the wrong port in the Node or you might still be connected to ADSL.

On the DSL status page show connection type as VDSL 2 or ADSL?

It could be a Telstra fault in that they have not configure your connection in the server correctly. You will have to keep calling NBN support. You could escalate the fault by lodging a complaint. Within two business  days you will be allocated a case manager who will try to ensure the fault gets fixed.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

The phone and Online light should both turn green once fault has been located and fixed. The phone light should turn green even with no phone connected.

Sylveon

Thanks for the reply. The modem is showing connection via VDSL 2 and Telstra NBN support have told me that NBN Co have run checks and all has come back normal so now they want to send a Telstra tech to my house next Tuesday as they believe it is a fault in my house.

I am concerned they are just going to waste another 5 days as I can't see how there would be a fault when the ADSL2 was working fine up until they cut me over.
vinallo

Hi.
Can I ask some basic questions. I have helped others.
Re Dhcp. Are you referring to the Dhcp service handing out i/p addresses to your pc etc ? Is there still an Adsl line filter connected somewhere between your new modem and your Nbn cable leaving yoyr house. Sometimes it can be hidden in the wall or the roof space. Failure to hand out Dhcp maybe caused by the modem not having a working Nbn connection.
If you can I would disable the Cell Tower interface eg Nextg Lte 3g etc as my instructions emailed to me stated my modem Does have this interface inbuilt but it doesnt 😂. When testing forget using Wifi mobile phones and email if possible. If u can use a wired connection as it almost always work . Use the others once things are behaving.
cf4

I also can't see how it could be a fault in your premises if the DSL link is working.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit