Highlighted
Level 20: Director

False Negative in the Telstra Broadband Availability Check

There have been a number of instances where the question on CS is something like "Why cant I get Telstra ADSL"

This most likely occurs when the question comes from a customer with their fixed line provided via another carrier

A check on availability via https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband comes up with "Not Available", Senior Moderators make up "Fairy Story" excuses and often palm the post off to live chat or 132200, at which time the customer is again told that Telstra ADSL is not available at their address. This too is a poorly scripted fairy story, and is a simple waste of time for everyone in the loop - Telstra Digital staff and especially Moderators should know better!

If you have ADSL via another carrier, you will also have your landline via that same carrier, so if you search for broadband availability using your address or phone number, under the structural separation undertaking, Telstra Retail, technicial support, live chat, and web systems have no knowledge of that address, so you get the answer "Not Available"

The first place to fix this is the https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband page. Simply insert words, clearly highlighted saying:  "this check will only work if your fixed line is provided by and billed by Telstra". Other front of house scripts and staff training should be updated accordingly.

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: False Negative in the Telstra Broadband Availability Check

Telstra,please get your websites up to date. my. address still showsas being unavailable, but theNBN was conncted at my house on 10th July.You are looking very incompetent. The biggest comms company in Australia, yet you cannot communicate within your company.

Highlighted

Hi settlersbill, can you confirm that your fixed line is with Telstra or not?

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Palpatine,

This is not always the case.  I moved in to a unit that had previously been connected to another service provider and the Telstra system came up and said that it was available based on the address.

Also, if you are with another carrier for ADSL, you don't necessarily have your landline with that carrier (not a requirement of all providers). I used to have Telstra Landline but my ADSL with a different provider.

So I'm sorry, but the big bad wolf in your fairytale was killed by the woodsman after all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter, I agree that it is not always the case, unbundling the DSL from the number has been an option for over 10 years, but the main take-up and target market is the business world, it is most unusual in the residential sector, and even then it would need to be a boffin doing something creative from home.

You were somewhat fortunate in moving into your new flat. What you experienced is how it should work, ie the old SP truely follows the rules and correctly marks the number/address/cable pair as "vacant", but there is a wide spread practice to simply suspend billing at the address, continue to pay the wholesale charges to Telstra for the line and have the upper hand in press-ganging the new customer into being their customer (generally with a fairy story of their own). A genuinely "Vacant" service can be seen by everyone.

Part of the problem here is the fear of death paranoia drummed into Telstra agents due to things like the Structural Separation Undertaking (and its preceding agreements) making it illegal for a Telstra Agent to solicit business or offer incentives from another carriers. Other than CS, Telstra Agents will know (or should know) the Customers Carrier by looking at a particular account, but as the Telstra Agent is not allowed to say "Ah, I see you are with iPrimus, churn back to Telstra and we will solve your problem", they will make up some story that might sound like they know what they are talking about, a total waste of time.

I note from Settlerbill's comment that there is a problem with NBN availability too, but this might be a timing issue with the NBN updating "available" flags, but it too need to be checked.

The way it is now, many (maybe not all) potential broadband customers are being turned away on this false negative.

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Hello Palpatine and Jupiter,i definitly have my fixed line with Telstra. NBN is not at fault here . Their rollout map was updatedd within a week.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit