Danwylie
Level 2: Rookie

Files suddenly deleted from the shared USB drive attached to the modem

I woke up this morning to find all the files on the shared drive gone. I'm in the process of recovery but I'd rather not have to go through it again. What could have caused this? 

The modem is set up default except for enabling shared storage and the hard drive is brand new. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Files suddenly deleted from the shared USB drive attached to the modem

This should not have occurred, the files might have accidently been deleted during a firmware update of the modem. What model and what is the firmware of the modem?

Danwylie

It's a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcydan LH1000), firmware version 0.13.01r

cf4

You can check when modem's firmware was updated by going to the log. deselecting all events except TRS-069 events and then looking for the following events.

"30.01.2021 01:16:49 TR069: Execute download.
30.01.2021 01:17:06 TR069: Save configuration 7.
30.01.2021 01:18:12 TR069: set tc 7.
30.01.2021 01:19:33 TR069: Save configuration 7.
30.01.2021 01:19:33 TR069: Firmware LH1000_0.13.01r_build01_Netduma-2621e50_R0A_debug.w.ArcSigned download successfully"

If the firmware update occurred about the same time as the files on disk were deleted it is likely the firmware update accidently deleted the files. There are no settings to prevent accidents like this occurring in the future.

Danwylie

Wow, yep that was it. That is shockingly, astonishingly bad. If I wasn't slightly tech savvy and running back-ups or file recovery I'd be devastated. It beggars belief that I can't prevent it happening again by approving an update myself.

Thanks for your help. 

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - may I ask, is SMBv2 Enabled in the modem and on your PC  with the modem set with User ID and Password access to the drive. Unusual that to think an external USB drive would be wiped - an Empty Folder icon can show up if the SMBv2 has not been configured. The upgrade may have set the SMBv2 back to Disabled, but that is also unusual as the Arcadyan usually respects previous configuration settings. 

Danwylie

Smbv2 is enabled. I thought it might be an issue with the modem initially but when I connected the hard drive to my PC it was empty.

The quick response from cf4 nailing the issue suggests to me it's not the first time it's happened. 

Mkrtich

Sorry to read about the stress you have had to go through with your data being lost and not visible to your PC. I thought maybe the modem  would 'unplug' the USB prior to executing an update and 'plug-in' after completion but maybe not the case - log entries with USB descriptions generally include the word 'Dongle' and are followed by an LTE line entry implying they are unlikely to be the USB port for an external drive. 

Danwylie

Looking through the logs there's a reference to the USB device being unplugged and then later it's plugged in. The unplugging seems to happen after the update, however. Maybe. Interpreting logs is not my forte

Mkrtich

Yes, that is the same as mine. If you look two lines before and after both entries noted as USB Host 1 - Port 2 , there is an LTE event. Originally 3G/4G LTE Back Up WANs were designed as USB sticks called Dongles, a term borrowed from the early software industry to control licensing. Telstra is one of the few suppliers to include an integrated 4G module on one of the modem's PCBs, but I think the modem's software is grandfathered from past versions of software and still refers to it as a Dongle. A LTE Reset occurs then a LTE self boot after 10 mins (600 secs), 4G LTE uses IPv6 and DHCPv6 is released, so that is why I don't think these entries deal with external drives.

I would have expected a log entry something like Media Server or Storage Device to reflect a USB Drive. There must be a USB Host1-Port1, but I can't locate any mention in the log when I do a search for that string. 

28.01.2021 01:33:56 Trigger LTE module self reboot after 600 secs
28.01.2021 01:33:56 DHCPv6: Release on eth0
28.01.2021 01:33:56 [USB Host1-Port2] Dongle(vid/pid/ifnum:0x2c7c/0x0306/5) unplug.
28.01.2021 01:33:56 [USB Host1-Port2] Device(255/255/255) unplug detected.
28.01.2021 01:33:55 DHCPv4 Script: RELEASE(eth0)
28.01.2021 01:33:50 LTE module reset:0

If you are up to it tomorrow, would you consider officially reporting this to Telstra so that it could be escalated for investigation and follow up. It is a serious event.

bigvicfella

This happened to me this morning also:

30.01.2021 05:29:15 do memory saving process(pre)
30.01.2021 05:29:54 [fw_upgrade] Firmware file /tmp/uploadXXXXXX_plc upgrade success
30.01.2021 05:29:55 TR069: Save configuration 7.
30.01.2021 05:29:55 TR069: Firmware LH1000_0.13.01r_build01_Netduma-2621e50_R0A_debug.w.ArcSigned download successfully.
30.01.2021 05:29:57 TR069: Reboot by ACS command.
30.01.2021 05:30:10 DHCPv4 Script: RELEASE(eth0)
30.01.2021 05:30:11 DHCPv6: Release on eth0, interval 1000ms.
01.01.2018 11:00:13 Start syslogd, FW ver: 0.13.01r, SN: ARC1932712437

This has happened a few times now.   

cf4

Were the files deleted from a USB drive connected to the modem's USB port?

Mkrtich

Hi - not sure, do you mean your USB drive content has also been wiped after upgrade or that you have the same line entries as above for the last upgrade showing only? 

With the Telstra modems, personal supposition from reading Whirlpool posts and a YouTube clip on a Bank Switching a Technicolor TG799vac by others - I have not had it confirmed by anyone. 

I think what occurs is that once the upgrade process is initiated by a request from the modem, a copy of the current state of settings including system logs is saved into Flash Memory, then the new firmware is downloaded to RAM where it is verified prior to being transferred into Flash Memory to replace the previous firmware version. Two copies of the firmware are stored in separate memory Banks 1 and 2, in the event of any corruption occurring or power outages or brownouts, after receiving the remote Telstra ACS Reboot command, the modem will attempt to load new firmware from the Active Bank 1 - if it fails after three times, it tries the Bank 2 copy. Examples of a corruption may be unexpected problems that arise from previously working functions or new issues that are identified.  

Fortunately, the Arcadyan keeps its previous log file entries where as the Technicolor tends not to be as generous. I too have what appears to be duplicate entries in the log. All entries that are perhaps stored in Bank 2 appear to always start with time stamp 01.01. 2018 at 10:00:01 for me (yours seem to start an hour later). One of my Export File logs has over 500 lines with that time stamp sandwiched in between current on the day real time stamps indicating events that occurred before and after the upgrade - its a quick way of finding when the firmware upgrade occurred.  I recently obtained an Arcadyan Test modem which did three consecutive upgrades on the same day, so it was interesting to see what was going on inside. 

You will also see what look like repeated same firmware update entries which also include separate appended updates for NetDumaOS and Wi-Booster Agent software upgrade. 

cf4

The entries with the early time stamp are from events that have occurred just after reboot and before the modem conne ts to the time server.

Mkrtich

Well that makes sense - I attempted to upgrade my primary Arcadyan modem many times over the two months by Resetting it - interesting mine is falling back to start time an hour earlier than bigvicfella's start time - so it must take its mark from the AEST of the modem location. Maybe 01.01.2018 is the factory date of original firmware manufacture. Cheers

bigvicfella

Yes, all deleted.    This has happened at least twice before.

bigvicfella

All files were deleted on the USB drive attached to the modem.  

cf4

Have you lodged a fault with Telstra?

MSMFalcon

I have logged a case with Telstra.  Telstra made no comment except to say that they do not provide support with deleted files.  They have not accepted any responsibility. I asked for three things, (a) how do I get my data back, (b) how do we know that this will not happen again next update and (c) I would like to see a credit on my account.

If I don't hear from them I will open up a complaint with the TIO. I've spent hours recovering the deleted data. 

My lesson is do not trust Telstra with your data and do connect a USB drive to the Telstra Modem unless you are sure the data is only needed for the one day.

bigvicfella

I have had it explained to me by Telstra that a firmware update to the modem will erase the files on the attached USB.

cf4

A firmware update should not erase files on any attached USB drive. If it does there is a bug in the firmware and it should be investigated and fixed.

Mkrtich

Hi - it may be that the files have not been deleted, but rather not visible now due to possible corruption to the external drive's directory system due to the 5 volt power being disconnected from the USB port on modem reboot when it upgraded and then reconnected; more probable, if it had data reading or writing to it at the same time. The modem knows it has a USB drive connected - my modem's Log entries  shows 'usb stick is detected'  when inserted and 'usb stick is unplugged' when safely Ejected through the modem's GUI screen. Based on these three posts, the modem doesn't appear to pro-actively 'Eject' the drive in software as a preparatory phase of the firmware update. 

I am not conversant with recovery of data processes - the fist two suggestions may be of some assistance.

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/recover-usb-drive-windows.html  

MSMFalcon

Thanks Mkrtich.  I was able to recover the two files I needed.  I have also enabled OneDrive backup.

I've had no response from Telstra re my case.  Hence I will open a case with the TIO.

It's typical of Telstra.  In the last couple of years their service has gone from mediocre to almost non-existent.

They don't answer the phones.  The chat takes hours for a response if at all.

I've gone and bought myself a Synology NAS.  Cost of more than $1000.  Should be a much better solution.

In light of this I have moved my mobile services and cancelled Foxtel from Telstra.  Not about to continue to support Telstra anymore.  I've had enough...

Danwylie

I got a response from Telstra, but it did take a while. He seemed to take it seriously and liked the suggestion of a sms warning before a firmware update, or something similar (assuming the update process can't be fixed or whatever). At the moment I'm ejecting it every night, which is a pain. 

I've been thinking about a nas for a while but money is tight at the moment and I'm resentful of having to consider it in the first place. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit