CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Forced by Telstra to change from cable to NBN - paying the same price for much slower speeds??

We were recently forced by Telstra to change from cable to NBN. 

I did a speed test last night on our cable and confirmed we were getting 94.66 Mbps during peak evening time. 

Today, NBN was connected and we are down to 46.28 Mbps OFF PEAK (not to mention how much slower it will most likely be in the evening). 

This is all for the same monthly price - seems unfair that they force us to change and can't even give us the same speed. 

Does Telstra compensate the difference in plan pricing so we can upgrade to the premium plan and get the same speeds as before? 

We were perfectly happy on our cable apart from one outage during the storms. 

This is honestly a disgrace. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Forced by Telstra to change from cable to NBN - paying the same price for much slower speeds??

It is the goverment that forced you to change to NBN not Telstra. Telstra would prefer you stay on cable as they own the infrustructure and therefore made more profit per connection. There are several different speed tiers on NBN (12/1, 25/5, 50/20  and 100/40) and NBN charges the ISP according to speed tier the customer is on and Telstra has to pass this cost on. The download speed is slower but upload speed is now 20 Mbps instead of 5 Mbps.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Forced by Telstra to change from cable to NBN - paying the same price for much slower speeds??

So, I switched to nbn hfc 3 days ago from Telstra cable. On a $70 plan, my speed dropped from 114mbps to 23 mbps. Telstra shop staff conveniently failed to mention that would happen when they said I could stay on the same plan! Just spent about 3 hrs on the phone and online chat complaining about it to no avail. The first 2hrs 45 mins was the call centre telling me it was the fault of nbn technology (even though it’s the same cable to my house); such problems would miraculously disappear if I upgraded to a premium plan for $110! They weren’t looking like budging but finally offered me a discount on the nbn50 plan, to which I replied, why would I pay more for half the speed I had before? Now I’ve given up and am just sulking😖.

Highlighted

Try NBN with a speed of 5.8 Mbps. 

Highlighted

There might be a fault on the NBN link forcing the moddm to switch to 4 G  backup if you are only getting 5.8 Mbps. The speed of  4 G backup is limited to  6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. When modem swjtches to 4 G backuo light on front of gen 2 modems turns blue and on gen 1 modems online ,light turns purple.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - apart from possible technical issues that may be affecting speeds, this is my understanding of the events and hopefully contribute to understanding matters. In order to save $30/month, I downgraded from 100/5 Mbps to a 50/20 Mbps and have not had any adverse impact on my service. 

Prior to April 2018, the Telstra HFC Standard Plan was 30Mbps/1-2Mbps.

In April 2018, Telstra upgraded customers to 50Mbps/5 Mbps at no additional cost.

In April 2019, Telstra provided these customers with a complimentary temporary upgrade to 100/5 until their NBN HFC service was commissioned. Customers who had subscribed to a 100 Mbps Speed Boost were not impacted by the April 2019 decision. 

If you received a complimentary Speed Boost upgrade, it ceased on NBN HFC installation. 

If you had subscribed to the 100/5 Speed Boost prior to NBN installation, you may have been downgraded to the 50/20 NBN service for a month to make sure the service is capable of operating at that minimum speed then re-assigned the Speed Boost at a later date if feasible. Apart from diligence on Telstra's behalf, it may also have something to do with ensuring advertised offers meet regulation standards.

If the 100/40 NBN HFC service is not capable of operating at its stated speed and limited to 50/20 for a nominated period, I would expect Telstra would formally advise the customer in writing and reduce the charge accordingly. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Cable-internet-speed-boost-does-it-depend-on-b...

Highlighted

@Mkrtich 

The url in previous post doesn't work it has extra characters added to the end. Correct URL is

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Cable-internet-speed-boost-does-it-depend-on-b...

Highlighted

This isn’t a competition - my issue isn’t with the speeds themselves as they align with their plan options. 

My issue is with the plans and why Telstra decided to not provide us with the same speeds for the same price.

Highlighted

I have been in contact with Telstra directly and have been assigned a case manager.

My enquiry was more at getting experiences from other customers who have successfully been able to get the same speeds on NBN as cable for the same price. 

Highlighted

I’m sorry to hear that. Doesn’t sound like there’s much hope for me. 

I have spoken to Telstra and they said they can’t do much now - but they have assigned me a case manager for when my account finishes transitioning to NBN. 

I’m looking at Switching to Aussie Broadband as I’ve had recommendations from friends and they have a plan for $89 which promises speeds like the Telstra $110 premium plan. So depends on whether Telstra can honour the same pricing I had for cable with the same speeds or not. 

Highlighted

Thanks for fixing the link @cf4 .  

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit