Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Forticlient VPN won't stay connected

Hi all,

I use Forticlient as a VPN to connect to my office. This worked fine on my (non-Telstra) ADSL.

Since switching over to Telstra Cable Broadband, the Forticlient disconnects itself constantly, between about 30 minutes and two hours; the time seems to be random every day. Both myself and the IT guys at my work have checked the MyGateway and can't see anything that needs to be changed (there's no Forticlient listed in the Port Forwarding, if that would even fix it idk); IT have checked my connection on multiple occasions and have checked with the (external) firewall company - but the issue is on my home network, not the work network. I have just spoken to Telstra's Support people and was told they "have nothing at all" they can find to help me with my problem.

I don't know exactly what my issue is - but I would really like to fix it please.

As I understand it as well I can only use the provided Telstra modem with said Cable broadband.

I can't be the ONLY person in the whole of Australia with this issue!

In case it's required: the PC I use the VPN on is connected to my Telstra modem via (old - circa 2002) Ethernet in-wall cabling. I also have a Netgear Nighthawk router that is connected to the modem via a Powerline Adaptor; the desktop PC (which doesn't have a wireless adaptor) is connected through a multi-point wall socket and also utilises my old ADSL modem (as a router, I believe).

thank you in advance  Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Forticlient VPN won't stay connected

Does your VPN have issue when you are connected to the cable modem directly via Ethernet?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same issue, I have one work PC with Forticlient VPN on Windows 10. This PC is connected with Ethernet Cat 6 directly to the Telstra NBN modem. It keeps on dropping the Forticlient VPN connection.
No other PC or device on the same home network has a similar issue or drop outs! My other work PC's use Windows VPNs and these all work 100% with no dropouts on the same network and same time.

When I use this same PC with Forticilent on a Optus Mobile Hotspot there are no dropouts! It seems the Forticlient and Telstra modem needs special settings to work!

What options are available to customise the Telstra Modem to facilitate this Forticlient VPN?
Highlighted

You'd need to speak to forticlient or your works IT team to look at the logs to see why the connection is dropping.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit